Ares Games

Thread: Korean War

Default Korean War

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Quick guesstimates on these planes:

North American F-86 Sabre
    Base: Fighter
    Deck: Mx2
    Climb: x2 (Can climb 1 or 2 full altitude levels per manuver)
    Ceiling: 17
    Damage: 22
    Weapons: BBB/BA
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F86-334FISGabbyC3.png 
Views:	454 
Size:	609.6 KB 
ID:	184405

Mikoyan-Gurevich Mig 15
    Base:Fighter
    Deck: Dx2 (45° turns removed)
    Climb: x2 (Can climb 1 or 2 full altitude levels per manuver)
    Damage: 20
    Weapons: DCC/CC

Name:	Mig15-Card_523IAP_SamoilovC3.png 
Views:	444 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	184406

Douglas A-1 Skyraider
    Base: Heavy Fighter
    Deck: C (45° and fast side slips removed)
    Climb: 3
    Ceiling: 10
    Damage: 24
    Weapons: CCCC/CC

Name:	A1H-Card_VMC1_Linnemeier.png 
Views:	445 
Size:	458.1 KB 
ID:	184408
    [Edit: Not sure about using a Heavy Fighter base for this plane? Single engine and pilot]

Hawker Hunter
    Deck: Nx2
    Climb: x3 (Can climb 1-3 altitude levels per climb manuver)
    Damage: 26
    Weapons: DDDD/DD
    Source: Scale for Post WWII - Post 21

de Havilland Venom
    Deck: Kx2
    Climb: 1
    Ceiling: 14
    Damage: 22
    Source: Scale for Post WWII - Post 29

Grumman F9F Panther
    Deck: Qx2 (45° and extreme side slips removed)
    Climb: 1
    Ceiling: 15
    Damage: 20

Name:	F9F-Card_VF781_WilliamsC2.png 
Views:	444 
Size:	555.0 KB 
ID:	184407

Source: Scale for Post WWII - Post 46
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-03-2016 at 00:09.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The Skyraider has a wingspan of 50' ¼". Officially that tips it over the 50' for the heavy fighter base, but it's that close, and as you say, single engine & crew, it becomes a coin toss.

After reading up on a lot of these 2nd gen jets, it seems they were designed for maneuverability at low speeds, so it becomes an issue with allowing back the 45 degree turns, but possibly only at slow speeds. Of course that would require thinking on the rules, or new decks designed.

I think we're going to have to rethink the whole base-size issue with these planes. And yes, deck composition will be a big question. Be prepared to defend your position
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I think we're going to have to rethink the whole base-size issue with these planes. And yes, deck composition will be a big question. Be prepared to defend your position
    Karl
    These planes being Korean, or in general?
    I always defend my position, until someone attacks me with a compelling argument.

These planes being Korean, or in general?
    I always defend my position, until someone attacks me with a compelling argument.
    In general for post-WW2. I'd like Zoe to jump in with thoughts too.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

In general for post-WW2. I'd like Zoe to jump in with thoughts too.
    Karl
    Yep, or someone official (looks around for a stray Italian)... I know we had decided on 50', but that was until we got something more 'official'

I've moved the conversation about base sizes to the committee room, just in case this strays in to stuff we're not allowed to talk about.

Could we, and this is me just thinking aloud here, leave the single seat jets at fighter base size not heavy fighter due to speed (harder to hit?) until we get into the realms of heat/radar missiles?

Also ref the tighter turns at slow speed could we produce a card with only a slow speed arrow on to simulate this?

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

With the jump from WW1 to WW2 we went up a scale could we do the same for the next jump ie use 1/300th aircraft? Or redo the decks to compensate ie start at smaller WW2 size deck then move to the larger WW2 decks for later jets etc?

Karl
    See you on the Dark Side......

I was assuming a jump up in scale; model scale would be optional, I think, since they will all be "unofficial".
    That said, I'm afraid my plate is full right now.
    Karl

Copied the A-4 card to go with this Ftoys 1/144 model.

Name:	DCP_7597.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	214828

Name:	DCP_7598.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	214829

Since reading this thread, I've been looking into the war in the air over Korea, and have got to the point of ordering various 1/300 planes to see which firm makes the best planes of each type.
    I will post some pictures eventually.
    There are some interesting decks noted on Mike's plane cards, none of which I can visualise.
    I think we need to start from scratch. Once I have worked out some speed ranges, I will need some help with manouverability.
    Another thing to think of, how much throttle variation to overall speed is involved? Should we be thinking 3 arrow lengths per card for some aircraft: Cruise, Mil Power, near Stall? or normal, fastest, slowest, with limits and penalties for the top and bottom of the range perhaps.

Lest we forget

Are we really worried about the Speed of the planes as much as we are about the maneuver of the planes?? I would be led to believe that like the previous versions that the Speed was "built into" the game, or just use a token like in the WW2 version. I was looking at AIM products, He has some pretty good looking planes for this time period. I know everyone is worried about the scale of things, I wouldn't recommend trying to go smaller, I think we should focus on how we can make what we need fit into what we already have. I'm sure with a few "minor " adjustments to the maneuver cards we can come up with something we can all agree on. Also maybe the damage cards/tokens a little more potent to take into account the heavier fire power of the more modern weapons. I already like the cards that are already made up, I'll be putting in a order to AIM here shortly to get my Korean War fix while we get the small stuff figured out!! LOL
    Last edited by badlands122; 01-01-2018 at 20:10.

It does all kind of tie in. If you keep the same card size (most convenient), then to accommodate the speed issue, you need to increase the ground scale, which will shorten the firing range. We are talking 50cal MGs and 23-37mm cannon, like WGS.
    Maneuvering is the big issue, of course. I might be able to look at this this winter (more time, and a great need for distractions), so we'll see.
    Karl'

Hmmm. Great discussion, like the ideas put forth. However, how does it work for formation flying? I found that Wings of Glory works best for individual fighting - like it was in WWI, or rather age of "Knights of the Air". As soon as you go beyond WWII, try to get formations working, with a wing of 3 or more planes, all things suddenly get messy. WWII and post war rarely have individual planes fighting (or at least what I found). That being said, Boelcke was quite a forward thinker of the time for WWI, with point 8 in his dicta I believe, talking on formations of 8 planes, so even then, good thinkers realised that having individuals is inefficient. So I guess my question is this: what are your experiences with having not a mano-o-mano, but having multiple fighters per side (obviously unless you have physically multi-player games)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    So I guess my question is this: what are your experiences with having not a mano-o-mano, but having multiple fighters per side (obviously unless you have physically multi-player games)?
    I try to fly two planes per person, as the destruction of individual planes in WGS can happen in a single burst. I fly exclusively Battle of Britain, but the Bf.109E can unleash up to 24 damage at short range (with a very bad chit draw, not including explosions), and British planes (Hurricane or Spitfire) can deal out a max of 16 (Although, with two pilot wounds in the B Damage chit bin, I have seen a Bf.109 go down in the first head-on pass with a Hurricane).

Damage Chit Break-down post: How Many of Each Damage Tokens Are There? Post #8

Flying two planes is pretty much my go-to for WGS, for the above reason. You are usually still in the game, if disadvantaged, if you loose one.

Now, that being said, in a lot of my BoB games, flying Vics (three planes) for the Brits, or Rotte (two planes) for the Germans, you do get many situations where the firepower doesn't combine. This is due to range, Line of Sight, formation composition, etc... Strange, but true. It's because of the size of the stands compared to the ground scale of the game, IMHO. When the lead planes of each formation are in range, the wingers are sometimes not, or not at the same range, etc...

There might be a House Rule somewhere that all firing is from the lead plane(s), but the 1/200 scale planes with a 1/2250 scale ground distance messes up the range measurements something bad. Korean War ground scale could be worse, but using WGS stands and rulers, it would be similar. I find formations to be less than optimal, at the moment.

Formation Flying According to OldGuy59: Suggestions for Dog-fighting Tactics - Post #3
    Mike

Name:	53F3C209-CFC4-4AED-B69D-83006008D6BC.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	258961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5076F04D-F0E8-4710-A57A-C2054183723C.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	258963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5076F04D-F0E8-4710-A57A-C2054183723C.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	258963

These are what have waiting for the rules..... hehe..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0335261F-7465-4373-BAC3-10FED1A381A3.jpg  

Hallo to evryone .
    Has anyone a card for the F80 Shooting Star ?

Quote Originally Posted by BodeGier View Post
    Hallo to evryone .
    Has anyone a card for the F80 Shooting Star ?
    I haven't. Do you have a plane that needs one?

PS: Draft drawing:

Name:	p80c_Work.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	291873
    Note, two different styles of wing tip tanks.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-31-2020 at 11:03.
    Mike

Plus without wing tanks, if you're doing what-if WW2
    Karl

Thank you to all.
    Warlord Games will bring out two new Jets for Korea.
    If I would like to use it for WoG , I need this card.
    MIG- , Sabre- , Phanter- and Skyraider-cards I have.(Thanks to the forum.)
    Now I am search for Shooting Star and P51.
    Last edited by BodeGier; 09-01-2020 at 01:15.

I posted some prototype rules for WW2 jets that included the P-80C.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...rojects-hanger
    The MiG-15 and P-86 are probably too fast for even those rules. I can look at the Panther and Skyraiders if you'd like.
    The Il-10, La-9, La-11, P-82, F4U-4, and YAK-9Ps are also possible.
    Karl

Plus without wing tanks, if you're doing what-if WW2
    Karl
    IIRC the early (right wing) "teardrop" tank was designed with the airframe, could be removed and just not made in time to go to Italy on trials; the late (left wing) "torpedo" came in with the T-33/TV-2/T2V variants and are integral to the airframe, completely replacing the tip section.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-01-2020 at 15:01.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Anyone for a swing at these planes?

McDonnell F-4J Navy (no guns):

Name:	F-4J_Phantom_VF-96.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	297356

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21PF (no guns):

Name:	Mig-21_PF_Fishbed-D_Work.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	297355
    Mike

I have the Air Force version of the F4J.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2838.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	297636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2839.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	297637
    Last edited by badlands122; 02-18-2021 at 15:55.

Not a period colour scheme, but inspired by a recent post:

Name:	HawkerHunter_43Sqn_Card.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	548.5 KB 
ID:	317015

Link> Claire Hartley Photos
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-13-2022 at 07:44.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BodeGier View Post
    Thank you to all.
    Warlord Games will bring out two new Jets for Korea.
    If I would like to use it for WoG , I need this card.
    MIG- , Sabre- , Phanter- and Skyraider-cards I have.(Thanks to the forum.)
    Now I am search for Shooting Star and P51.
    Hi Boris, how are the warlord planes for scale? I know some of their offerings were found to be a bit off ( though I found the Fw190As to be ok)

Lest we forget

Hi John.
    The modells for Korea from Warlord are ok. But there are not true scalemodells.
    The size vary by 1- 0,5 mm.
    But for playIng is this good enough.
    Warlord has a wide selection of modells for Korea :
    F86 Sabre
    Mig 15
    La 5-11
    Yak 1-9
    F9F Panther
    F80 Shootingstar
    P51 Mustang
    F4U Corsar
    IL 2-11
    Last edited by BodeGier; 07-13-2022 at 04:34.

Looking at the Warlord site, the P-80 has the smaller tip tanks, and would look like this:

Name:	p80c_Work_V2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	317093

Do we have stats for this plane?
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Korean War
    By EnemyAce in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 16:08
  2. South Korean War Memorial aircraft park
    By Biggles downunder in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 02:36