4 14.81%
  • 90s

4 14.81%
  • Modern (2000+)

4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Eras for Post-WWII

Default Eras for Post-WWII

What Eras would you like to see for Post-WWII?

I'm thinking just Dawn of the Jet Era for me. None of this beyond horizon missiles and the like.
    Just bloody fast dogfighting.

You did forget a "None" option, though.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    You did forget a "None" option, though.
    Karl
    Well I sort of assume people that didn't want to have an option wouldn't comment
    It was nice enough of Keith to set up the section, so I thought I'd give it a kick start.
    I'm not overly interested in anything beyond the first few generations of jets.

Personally, when it gets into the missile era, I'm out.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Personally, when it gets into the missile era, I'm out.
    Karl
    Me too. Korea maybe fun, still guns for most part, and the jets weren't too fast.

I'm out for all options listed.

Not enough time or money for WGF and WGS; no chance of starting any other period.

I'm out for all options listed.

Not enough time or money for WGF and WGS; no chance of starting any other period.

Where's Tonx?

Vulcan Bomber: 1956 to 1984. Covers nearly the whole survey.

I could use (Royal Canadian Navy/Canadian Forces/Royal Canadian Air Force) Sikorsky Sea Kings. They started service in the '50's and are still flying!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Late '40s through Korea would be as far as I would go.
    Even that is dicey unless they go with 1/400 or even 1/700 scale.
    You'd be off the board in a blink.

I actually already have a plane for the Korean conflict.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cgcs90471.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	183502

Info: www.martinbalmer.com - Canadair Sabre Mk 5

This would be usable for scenarios (although it would need a repaint).
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Me too. Korea maybe fun, still guns for most part, and the jets weren't too fast.
    No missiles until '58, so Korea is all guns.
    Suez probably was too.
    Karl

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Where's Tonx?
    Rehab. Sorry but I'm not joking

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Rehab. Sorry but I'm not joking
    It's the wrong end of the weekend for rehab. Unless it was a very good Friday night.
    *Apologies in advance if this was in bad taste.

Either way, get well soon.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I up for late 40s and 50s...

NO MISSLES!

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    NO MISSLES!
    So you want missiles then?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

It's the wrong end of the weekend for rehab. Unless it was a very good Friday night.
    *Apologies in advance if this was in bad taste.

Either way, get well soon.
    Hey, no offence taken or bad feeling of any kind. Actually quite agree if it was drinks related! But it's not unfortunately

Hey, no offence taken or bad feeling of any kind. Actually quite agree if it was drinks related! But it's not unfortunately
    Well have a good drink once you're well enough, even if it's a cuappa. In fact I recommend that beforehand. Tea fixes everything.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Well have a good drink once you're well enough, even if it's a cuappa. In fact I recommend that beforehand. Tea fixes everything.
    Good piece of advice and I forgot to say thanks for the Get Well Soon.

Fanta Orange is my current tipple - off that lethal Hoegaarden stuff for life now ... Pardon pun but not my cup of tea any more!

Good piece of advice and I forgot to say thanks for the Get Well Soon.

Fanta Orange is my current tipple - off that lethal Hoegaarden stuff for life now ... Pardon pun but not my cup of tea any more!
    Not a great fan of fizzy drinks, with or without alcohol. But each to our own of course. I'd buy you a beer given the chance.

LOOP

Postwar for me would be WWII

Like to see? - all of them (I game them already using my own rules)

I did vote 50ties and 60ties, but I'm not THAT interested in post-WW2 era.

Just give me a MiG-15 and a F-86 Sabre and forget everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    I'm of this mind... although I wouldn't hate to see an F9F Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Cards are ready, when you are: Post-WWII Aircraft Stats - Korean War
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I wouldn't complain about a F9F Panther
    And I would LOVE a Republic F-84F Thunderstreak

What I don't know is which other Soviet jet we should get

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Cards are ready, when you are: Post-WWII Aircraft Stats - Korean War
    I know... but I want a mini

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

In terms of Soviet jets the next most ideal selection would probably be the MiG-21 FISHBED fighter. Or MiG-17 alongside the mighty MiG-15.

Totally on your Grumman F-9F Panther comment as that really was a superb aircraft.

I would buy any MiG... but thinking in Korea and the glamorous '50s, what other Soviet plane can we get?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

For some reason though it was not a fighter the Ilyushin Il-28 BEAGLE springs to mind for the 1950s and Soviet aviation.

I'm going to go and research Sukhoi Su-15 fighters as to if they were around at this time as well. They may have been but let's make sure. Sukhoi Su-22 FITTER is definitely a 1960s era fighter.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Name:	Su-15_Flagon.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	186767

Sukhoi Su-15 FLAGON. First flight August 3rd 1962 so it just misses the 1950s criteria of the discussion we are having.

Early Soviet Jet Fighters:

Yakovlev Yak-15: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-15
    Yakovlev Yak-17: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-17

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-9: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-9

Lavochkin La-15: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavochkin_La-15

None of these ever saw combat; the MiG-15 made them all hopelessly obsolete, so all construction effort for fighters was focused on the one advanced design.

Once again: Any hope of variety is squashed by the inability of the Bad Guys to build more than one type of anything. >;)

Smile

My thoughts just to paraphrase Tim (Flying Helmut) is:

NO JETS!

I've just realized that I'm thinking about this post just like if we're talking about Jet-era WoG "Series 1" and like Ares were going to release a series of four minis any time "soon"... and that's not gonna happen (any time soon).
    But for the sake of just day-dreaming... I would love seeing a Duel Pack of a F-86 Sabre vs MiG-15
    and I would like a Republic F-84F Thunderstreak and a F9F Panther -- screw the Soviets, as Chris said they focused only on the MiG-15

Now, if Ares ever make these day-dreams come true and launches a 1950s "Series 1" and follow the same logic they've been applying to WW1 and WW2, they will choose another Warsaw-Pact fighter.
    At this point I'm wondering about early French jets, such as Dassault Ouragan. Still western but no NATO, and not American, and it did see action with the Israeli Air-Force.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Early Soviet Jet Fighters: (...)
    None of these ever saw combat; the MiG-15 made them all hopelessly obsolete, so all construction effort for fighters was focused on the one advanced design.
    Once again: Any hope of variety is squashed by the inability of the Bad Guys to build more than one type of anything. >
    I always thought post-WW2 Soviet aircrafts design was split between MiG and Sukhoi, with MiG designing the "smaller-and-cheaper" fighters intended to be the bulk of the V-PVO; while Sukhoi designed another "larger-and-expensive" jet for especific uses (interseptors and such). I mean: maybe this is not what did happen back in the 1950's, but a strategy that started later on? Am I wrong about this?

Hey guys, do you see any chance that Ares will ever produce a mini of this little guy just for me?

FMA IAe 33 Pulqui II

Name:	Pulqui_II_04.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	186799

I'm picturing WoG "Dawn of Jet" as: F-86 Sabre - F9F-Panther - MiG-15 - Pulqui II
    I can't see how these wont be selling like hot-bread

WGF and WGS for me only. I have my limits and have to admit that I can't do everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    WGF and WGS for me only. I have my limits and have to admit that I can't do everything.
    I'm exactly the same, well excluding all the other games I collect/play.
    Perfectly happy to help out on the working out of stats etc though.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

NO JETS!
    I'm with you on this one, Baz!

I doubt that Ares would pursue this line. They still have a lot of holes to fill in WGS without other distractions.

If they/I ever did get into this I would be buying the models from the clearance bins ...

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

NO JETS!
    Given the poll results (90% votes for 1950's) it seems that even those of us who would like seeing a Jet Era version of the game are stuck withing the "gun-fight" (aka no misiles) version of the game.
    MiG-15 vs F-86 Sabre Korean War era airwarfare wasn't much different from late WW2 air combat after all.

It's no surprise "guns-only" is preferred; missile combat is too complicated, esp. with the number of units on-board already. Were I to do guided missiles for a _WoG_-based system: I would have the distance between the units at launch calculated, and rendered as a number of chits. Every turn, the target gets to draw a card to see if the missile is defeated; if it is, all chits are removed; if not, only one is. If the last chit is removed and the missile hasn't been defeated, the target takes damage.

Soviet Jets: The problem was with the Soviet system for producing things -- rather than allow a "free market" where multiple designs for different uses could be produced, they followed the "one true path" approach -- one fighter; one light bomber; one heavy bomber; etc.; and produced them in droves, for simplicity, and to keep costs down (one set of manufacturing tools, rather than two or more, for ex.).

1948 Arab Israeli Conflict would be an interesting diversion.

On the Israeli side you had Spitfires, B-17s, Harvards, Mustangs, Avia S-199s, Beaufighter (4 flew with IAF - flew from England with the cover they were going to be used to film a movie!), and C-46. The Arab states flew Spitfires, Macchi MC.205Vs, Short Stirlings, and C-47s. Not an exhaustive list by any means.

The RAF had aircraft deployed as well, for example No.13 Sqn lost a PR Mosquito to an IAF Mustang. RAF Spitfires and Hawker Tempests also mixed it with IAF aircraft. An Israeli Spit downed a Tempest in early 1949. Egyptian Spitfires and RAF Spitfires also flew joint missions over Israel.

Plenty of scope and other than repaints a minimum of preparation required.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-21-2016 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    1948 Arab Israeli Conflict would be an interesting diversion.

On the Israeli side you had Spitfires, B-17s, Harvards, Mustangs, Avia S-199s, Beaufighter (4 flew with IAF - flew from England with the cover they were going to be used to film a movie!), and C-46. The Arab states flew Spitfires, Macchi MC.205Vs, Short Stirlings, and C-47s. Not an exhaustive list by any means.

The RAF had aircraft deployed as well, for example No.13 Sqn lost a PR Mosquito to an IAF Mustang. RAF Spitfires and Hawker Tempests also mixed it with IAF aircraft. An Israeli Spit downed a Tempest in early 1949. Egyptian Spitfires and RAF Spitfires also flew joint missions over Israel.

Plenty of scope and other than repaints a minimum of preparation required.
    I quite like the idea of that. Looked in to the ground war a few times, but never thought to look up.
    Another research project ahead

I quite like the idea of that. Looked in to the ground war a few times, but never thought to look up.
    Another research project ahead
    A good start with an accessible overview of the 1948 air war and some detailed information about the aircraft, personnel and aerial engagements is Osprey's 'Arab-Israeli Air Wars 1947-67'.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    A good start with an accessible overview of the 1948 air war and some detailed information about the aircraft, personnel and aerial engagements is Osprey's 'Arab-Israeli Air Wars 1947-67'.
    I love Osprey's books, I think I have far too many of them.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I love Osprey's books, I think I have far too many of them.
    Osprey rank very highly in my opinion but I would also like to suggest Grub Street Press as another publisher of high-calibre aviation history books.

Originally WW2 they are branching out with later stuff and I believe some WW1 stuff as well

I voted for the Korean War era -- a close second would be the Vietnam/Falklands Wars eras.

Similar Missions

1. Welcome to the Post-WWII Section of the Forum
    By OldGuy59 in forum PW2: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 10:54
  2. A Bit Ahead Of Our Eras, But...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 14:05
  3. Amazing WWII aircraft facts (huge post)
    By Kahlerclan in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 16:14
  4. WWII and Post WWI Aircraft Pictures
    By Skid in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 11:59
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 10:28