Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for January 2016

Default What's on your workbench for January 2016

A look ahead so you can post all the lovely photo's of what Santa brought you to paint in January.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Gees, aren't we rushing things a bit, Neil?
    Let me find the workbench again first!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Slow down, we still have half of December! I hope to get a bit done over the holidays, then worry about January.

I've not started anything in December - January is RIGHT OUT! as of this moment.

Is this Neil going for Top Thread Starter for the month/year?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

IT'S NOT EVEN BLEEDIN' *CHRISTMAS* YET!

:)

What he said.

In fact the December plan went out the window. A friend passed and I got the job of cataloguing and disposing of 30 large boxes of wargames figures and over 3,000 books. I can't even see my workbench, let alone reach it. Each time I go into my workroom I hear the faint voices of 3 Blenheims crying "paint me, paint me".
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Then I take a bow and retire to the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Is this Neil going for Top Thread Starter for the month/year?

LOOP

Well Christmas is nearly over and it's back to business.
    January have some treats in store for me.
    I have a nearly finished Pfalz DXII that only needs decals. Apart from that I have a Fokker EIV ( 2 gun version, I promise ), a Pup, an FE2b, an Oeffag 156 and an SE5a to do.
    On top of that I got a Camel, a Fokker DVII and another SE5a to the three oldest kids. They are designing there own aircraft as I wright. Hopfully some of this will be finished in January

Until someone can design a paint brush with an undo button, I'll be slowly 3d modelling for moment. At least until I can see the neurologist.

My work bench has Christmas trimmings on it at the moment. The table is laid out for party time, and if I showed you what I'd been doing it would give away the game on my choice for the painting comp, so I will have to get back to you later in Jan about all this.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 01-01-2016 at 01:52.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've got a bunch of aliens, predators and colonial marines from the AVP game I got, then it's back to painting horses for the Swedes
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

First job is to dig out the workbench (again ), then to planes. And maybe some WarHammer Skirmish that's been tickling my brain

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I've got a bunch of aliens, predators and colonial marines from the AVP game I got, then it's back to painting horses for the Swedes
    Did you get them proper German remounts, or are the stuck with those Swedish Great Ponies?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Diddly-Squat due to location. P8031 the Air Sea Rescue 276 Sq RAF Spitfire Mk II I am painting awaiting my attention at home.

One thing I have drawn as opposed to painted though - pencil sketch of a Grumman TBF-1 Avenger at low level. Inspired by one of the diecast 1/72 models which I have here.

What's on my workbench for Jan16 is....

a workbench!

Having relocated to my wargaming log cabin I need to build a proper workbench with decent illumination for painting. I'm also outfitting my workshop in the barn which also needs a workbench being built

Japanese MMG and German Flammwagen arrived. Waiting for M17 AA halftrack. Tomorrow, ordering Kurogane x 2 and Katyusha. All this are Bolt Action. Plus there is repainting contest here at 'Drome. I'll probably need two Januaries

Cleared Christmas and so am back to working on ......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gotha6.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	184193

I needed something big after finishing my 1/144 D.VII.....less squinting.

In the queue behind that is a Valom Nieuport 17 and another Valom Fokker D.VII

Well it is coming on very well Bob.
    Rob.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Nice job on the Gotha, Bob! Whose kit and what scale is the beastie?

My January list includes the Fokker DVII repaint for the contest, along with some Halberstadt CLII and Fokker EV repaints...so many miniatures, so little time. I would be up for two Januaries, too, especially if one were just for modeling...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    What AVP game is that, he asked, fearing the answer.......

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Nice job on the Gotha, Bob! Whose kit and what scale is the beastie?
    Thanks. It is an ancient Aurora 1/48 kit I picked up on eBay inexpensively. I have far more invested in decals at this point.
    And while I'm on the topic, anyone experience problems with decals over decals? It appears that the kit insignia shrink slightly more than the lozenge underneath, causing it to pull away in places.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

LOVE the old Aurora 1/48 scale stuff, Bob! My dad built a whole bunch of those in the 60s - even went so far as to hand-draw and -paint the lozenge pattern on planes...

That was my introduction to WWI planes when I was a kid - I look forward to seeing yours completed!

All the best,
    Matt

Matt, I think they call that "second January" you refer to so longingly as "February".

I must strongly oppose your completely pro-Februarist view, sir! It's commonly known February is one of most hated months when it comes to painting and modeling
    And no one will compensate two stolen days (God forbid, it could of been all three ).

LOVE the old Aurora 1/48 scale stuff, Bob! My dad built a whole bunch of those in the 60s - even went so far as to hand-draw and -paint the lozenge pattern on planes...

That was my introduction to WWI planes when I was a kid - I look forward to seeing yours completed!

All the best,
    Matt
    Matt - like you my Dad had built many of the Aurora WWI aircraft and I was (unsurprisingly) fascinated with them. Many dogfights between my brother and I with those planes, and never broke a one. His Gotha (in that inimitable Aurora shiny burgundy plastic with raised insignia cast in) inspired my purchase, although as you can see, my fetish for lozenge dictated the finish. Wish I knew where his kits ended up!

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    anyone experience problems with decals over decals? It appears that the kit insignia shrink slightly more than the lozenge underneath, causing it to pull away in places.
    Apply a layer of gloss varnish over the first layer of lozenge decals, and allow to dry to a smooth finish. Any decals placed on top of this will shrink/settle without causing damage.
    When you have finished, apply another gloss varnish layer over the top to protect the decal layers and unify the finish, then complete with a final layer of Matt varnish.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

If only we had 13 months with a lunar calendar, then the 13th month could be 2nd January! Besides, it can't be February - that month is a couple of days shorter than all the rest - how can I get more accomplished in a shorter month!! My time-management skills already stink!

All the best,
    Matt

Matt-Matt-Matt....the coming February brings great news for the hobbiest...since it is Leap Year (2016) it actually has an extra day!!! Hoorah. Or perhaps we could arrange an extra day of combat at for Leap Day!

In answer to this question I can only say - See December a very slow month!

If only we had 13 months with a lunar calendar,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...Fixed_Calendar

:)

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Heck, Neil - one day will make all the difference! I had forgotten it's Leap Year this coming year...let's just remember to label the the thread 'What's on your workbench for January re-do'...

Chris, if we lived in a matriarchal culture/society, we'd already have the 13 month calendar...but some of us would have had to sacrifice ourselves as the Year King... - not I, but certainly some of you better looking, more virile chaps...

All the best, and good luck as you power through working your fingers to the bone in January!
    Matt

...and the day after Christmas, the stores had the Valentine's Day materials up....

< http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AtomicFBomb >

We have stores selling Easter Eggs!

360 days to Christmas chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post

Rob.

I have created a new thread in the Hobby section for anyone interested in the inspiring and frustrating journey of the Aurora 1/48 Gotha G.V. :http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...311#post384311

I will add to the original post as time and progress permits. Like all such stories, it is filled with both joy and sorrow , and with innumerable compromises...

It will certainly be what's on my workbench in February as well, probably March, and who knows how far beyond that........

I had a few Metal Earth kits for christmas and just finished one of them - it's about 1/144 scale...

WP_20160101_001

A few fiddly bits but took about 3-4 hours total. No glue, just needle nosed pliers and cutters.

Step 1 complete: I reached the workbench!
    Step 2 tomorrow: clearing and (maybe) organizing it
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Please draw a BOOM card. >;)

I leave that to Sven and Flame cards to Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Please draw a BOOM card. >

Smile

Well seeing I don't get back home until 23rd Jan this will probably end up a February job especially as I need to fly Teaticket's OTT Early days Solo scenario 19
    But I have to convert the Belgian & Russian Hurricanes to British BoB aircraft. Decals arrived prior to Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    I have created a new thread in the Hobby section for anyone interested in the inspiring and frustrating journey of the Aurora 1/48 Gotha G.V. :http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...311#post384311
    Multiple updates posted for those interested

I for one would not like having my birthday be stuck on a Wednesday for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I for one would not like having my birthday be stuck on a Wednesday for the rest of my life.
    How d'you think *I'D* feel -- my birthday would Cease To Exist altogether!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    How d'you think *I'D* feel -- my birthday would Cease To Exist altogether!
    Oh no! How would you get all your Wings stuff? No birthday presents Chris!
    Then there are the folks with Birthdays on a working day forever.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    But I have to convert the Belgian & Russian Hurricanes to British BoB aircraft. Decals arrived prior to Christmas.
    Same here - but probably won't get done for a few months yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Oh no! How would you get all your Wings stuff? No birthday presents Chris!
    Then there are the folks with Birthdays on a working day forever.
    Rob.
    Note also what happens to triskaidekaphobes.

OK, my Christmas box is complete. My AIM order arrived today with these little goodies:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new arrivals 001 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	184643
    On the left flying for the Chinese Nationalists: 3 Polikarpov I-16 and 3 Republic P43a Lancers

and on the right heavies and support for the Japanese: 3 KI-30 Ann's, 3 KI-21 Sally's, 3 G3M Nell's and 2 F1-M Pete's.

Keen bunch there Neil. I'm still full of bits of DVII and another one arrived from Keith to do today.
    Rob.

I'm kicking around the idea of painting some Old West minis... yeah... right...
    Well, at least I've taken the "fun" Xmas tree down (the one with the Star Trek ornaments on it), so now I have some table space in the den again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The OTHER workbench . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 04:30
  2. One to look out for in 2016
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2015, 02:06
  3. Whats on your workbench for January 2015!
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 08:19
  4. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58