Ares Games

Thread: Rincon 2010

Default Rincon 2010

Just a quick note to thank everyone who posted ideas for the WoW WW1 demo I was running this past weekend at Rincon 2010, here in sunny Tucson. I must say that it was a great success; everything ran smoothly and everyone that stopped by said they enjoyed it immensely. Thank you to my squadron mates HardRock and CaptainKnowItAll, and a "newcomer" Gerry, for their help!

The flame and smoke markers were a big hit! I also handed out prop rulers as prizes and they were well received; most seemed surprised to be awarded something. Thanks to the Colonel for the flyers -- I handed them all out to players as well as passerbys, which also helped get the word out.

I was scheduled to run a four-hour demo from noon till 1600. I guess things went well and people were enjoying themselves since the game actually ran from noon till 2200! I had several scenarios in mind, beginning with a dogfight to help teach the rules, as well as allow players to come and go as they needed. Later in the evening I did switch to a balloon busing mission, which was a rousing success. The official play mats provided plenty of eye candy, with some people commenting that they initially came over to see what was being played because of the colorful mats.

Many had not planned on playing, but when told they could fly out as they needed, most all decided to sit for a bit (an hour on average); many stayed longer, and some even came back later on. Everyone was having such a good time just flying around and learning (and swapping sea stories) that the dogfight scenario just kept running. I judged by the player reactions that it was more important to allow everyone to enjoy what they were doing, rather than impose an arbitrary time limit to move on to the next scenario. Especially in light that every time one or more got up to leave, one or two more sat down and needed to learn the rules. I did notice that many seemed genuinely happy that I was willing to show them the "ropes" and get them flying quickly, rather than telling them they had to know the rules or have their own planes (good thing I have 25 right now). Friday night another fellow was running a WW1 demo and a fellow took one look at the game and bought his own mini to join in; then looked me up Saturday! Another fellow e-mailed me today from Texas asking more about the game and to tell me what he just placed an order for. I also met several people from Tucson that were new to the game and the aerodrome -- and will hopefully keep playing and decide to join our squadron.

Here are a few pictures. Nothing more to add, except a good time was had by all -- and if you build it, they will come! Thanks again for this site and the wonderful people that make it up; thank you Andrea for an awesome game!

Cheers!
    Attached Images     

Hi James,

Glad it went well and the pitures look fantastic and a good advert for WoW and the site. It looks like the old saying is true that if you put the work in you will get the results.

I hope that the demo day that many of the Welsh Squadron will be taking part in later this month will go as well. But I think ours will be on a smaller scale than yours. But the posative report you have given has made me decide to speak to Shaun when we play tonight to discuss if we can try and run a demo at Crusade (Wales largest wargame show) next Jan.

Cheers, Aled

Looks really good. I must say that I am having to revise my idea about the official play mats. I thought they were a bit brash, but on a table like that in a public hall they certainly stand out and advertise the game well.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like fun James. I'm with Rob on this one. I have been reluctant to buy the official mats but every time I see them in a setup like this they end up looking really nice.

James looks like the first recruit to the site after your demo has signed up, well done hope ours goes aswell on the 23rd October.
    Cheers Aled

Aled -- we had an absolutely wonderful response from everyone at the con. I wish you the best with yours. One thing I did was speak with everyone who came by the table and let them know that there wasn't a time limit/requirement, and that I was more that willing to show the rules. I was surprised by how many that were initially reluctant to sit down, did once they were engaged in conversation.

Rob -- I felt the same way about these mats for the longest time. I broke down and bought them specifically for the convention (and because I got them for $25 each). They really did draw people in, and the (somewhat) garish colors and logos where helpful under the lights in the large public gaming room. I will be keeping them, and looking for a pub (or what passes for one around here) where might I can throw one down on the table and get in a game with a pint of Guinness and some bangers and mash. Now that is the way to fly!

Cheers!

Nice write up, glad everything went well. I like the look of the playing mats as well. Might think about getting a pair. Good pictures as well, would like to see more, not of the game , but the girl in the blue shirt, with the long blond hair.

Great job, James (and CaptainKnowItAll, HardRock, and Gerry)!! Looks like things couldn't have gone better. Great to hear how well received the game was and how many people joined in and stayed for awhile. I'd love to be part of something like that someday. Again, well done!!

And for those who noticed the gaming mats . . . Hunter and I bought them over a year ago and every time I set them up it just makes the game that much better. They really look great and really do enhance the game nicely.

Scott
    Last edited by Goering Ace; 10-13-2010 at 17:23. Reason: added kudos to the squadron mates.

Thanks everyone! I must say that this site and wonderful information that everyone posts is a big part of the success I had at the convention.

Sorry Greg, no more pictures of the young woman who played with us (see the benefits of hosting a demo?!). But she and her boyfriend both seemed to enjoy their first flight, so I'll look for them next year!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    Rob -- I felt the same way about these mats for the longest time. I broke down and bought them specifically for the convention (and because I got them for $25 each). They really did draw people in, and the (somewhat) garish colors and logos where helpful under the lights in the large public gaming room. I will be keeping them, and looking for a pub (or what passes for one around here) where might I can throw one down on the table and get in a game with a pint of Guinness and some bangers and mash. Now that is the way to fly!

Cheers!
    My best mate and I were once asked to leave a pub because we got out our travelling chess set and started to play a game. We never went there again.
    To play WoW. in a pub, now that would be something.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Glad to here the demo went over well! I've yet to run one of these at a con, but it is on my list to do some day!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    My best mate and I were once asked to leave a pub because we got out our travelling chess set and started to play a game. We never went there again.
    To play WoW. in a pub, now that would be something.
    Rob.
    Chess in a pub?!? How could anyone concentrate on the Premiership game with you two playing chess?

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    Thanks everyone! I must say that this site and wonderful information that everyone posts is a big part of the success I had at the convention.

Sorry Greg, no more pictures of the young woman who played with us (see the benefits of hosting a demo?!). But she and her boyfriend both seemed to enjoy their first flight, so I'll look for them next year!

Cheers!
    You just had to mention Boyfriend. If I knew there were benfits like that to hosting a demo, I would have done one long ago. On a serious note glad the demo was a success!!

Similar Missions

1. RinCon 10 Game pix
    By Captain Knowitall in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 02:36
  2. New Pictures from Hurricon 2010
    By Steve in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 08:26
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 22:26
  4. 2010 Jamboree