Ares Games

Thread: The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 14 – Leadership Crysis

Default The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 14 – Leadership Crysis

July 15, 1940

"It seems that your rookie wasn't frightened by his adventure, Joachim..."
    "Well Kyte... He will be... Soon, I'd say... Here he comes..."

"Well Cael... You're lucky... There's a patrol to be sent and you'll need some more hours of flight under your belt. You and Andrzej can do it."
    "Yes sir! Thank you Squadron Leader Kyte!"
    "Carry on!"
    "Be careful out there, Cael! Follow Andrzej's indications..."
    "Yes sir... aahh... Joachim..."

"I thought that Comm guys were less stiff, Joachim..."
    "They are. Well... He'll get around..."
    "If he survives."
    "Don't say that, Kyte. You're the Squadron Leader. You must think and work for their survival. Even if they don't."
    "You're right. Thanks Joachim..."

"Isn't this Joachim's plane, Flight Officer Andrzej?"
    "Call me Andy. No! I've just painted a Polish flag in my bird too."
    "Oh! You're both Polish?"
    "In a matter of speaking Cael. In a matter of speaking..."
    "Why are you laughing, Andy?"
    "For no reason at all. But in fact you're right. I'll pilot Joachim's spit and a new pilot will pilot mine."

"You must be Gus. You can call me Andy and this fellow here is Cael."
    Yes, sir. It's a pleasure to meet you."
    "Well, let's go."
    "Good, good, good."
    "This is going to be an easy patrol, boy. Let's do this by the numbers and all will go well."
    "Andy, what do you mean by the numbers?"
    "I bloody hell don't know, Cael..."

Good, good, good! The airfield is clean, the ground crew seemed to know what they were doing and the pilots were in a good mood. I think that I landed in a good squadron. This Andy is an ace and Cael was at home in the cockpit of the Spit. Let's then do this by the numbers...

"Blue Two! At eleven even..." "What do you mean, Blue Three?" "Ah, yes... Bogeys... At eleven..."

"This is Blue Four, gentlemen. Five bandits at eleven. Good eyes, Blue Three." "Thanks, blue four. What now, Blue Two?"

"Ah... Yes. I'll go left." "Should we keep together, Blue Two?"

"Yes, Blue Three. You too keep together." "But... Ok. Going up. Follow me, Blue Four."

"Should I go up? Isn't it risky?"

"Where are you, Blue Three?!" "I banked left, Blue Four." "Weren't we going up?"

"Blue Two. This is Blue Four. What's your orders?" "Ah... Evade the fighters and concentrate on the Stukas." "What?! Which are the fighters?"

"Where are you, Blue Three? Blue Three?" "I'm... I'm trying to follow Blue Two. And you?" "They're coming at me..."

"Aaaahh! I was wounded!" "Are you okay?! Is it serious?" "Aaaahhh... Let me check... Good, good, good... I can manage. My Spit took a beating... I've been hit on my arm and leg..."

"I hit one of the Stukas! Blue Four... Go back to the airfield. Try to escape without being shot down. Ah... Blue Three... you... go with him..." "What?! And leave you here alone?"

"Well, Blue Three! You aren't doing a thing, are you?" "Maybe because you left us on our own, Blue Two!" "Hei! No time for that now, boys!"

"You're right, Blue Four. Try to go back. We'll take them..." "Good, good good. They're firing at me..."

"Go down and out..." "Yes, Blue Two."

"I was hit by the Stuka."

"They're all targeting me. I need you here, Blue Three."

"I've done an huge amount of damage to this one. He's ditching the bombs!"

"I'm coming, Blue Two."

"Still taking damage... My Spit is all filled with holes. Joachim won't like it."

"I've hit the third Stuka!"

"I've got a fighter on my tail, Blue Two!" "You're doing well. Go down and back home."

"Taking fire from all around! I need you here, Blue Three!"

"I'm getting there, Blue Two! And I'm also taking damage..."

"Missed it!"

"This one also ditched the bombs!" "Well done, Blue Two... But I still have a fighter on my back!"

"Blue Two! The third one also ditched the bombs! He's turning around!"

"I was hit! Loosing pressure! My engine is smoking!"

"Don't let the engine overheat or... Ahhhh! I was hit!" "Are you alright Blue Two?!" "I... am... fine. Let's go home..."

"Take this you bastard!"

"He going down! You've got him, Blue Two!" "Yes... Let's move away..."

"They're retreating... Form on me..." "I'll try to take this one, Blue Two."

"No. Form... on us..."

"You're still taking damage... I'll get him..."

"I've hit it!"

"I've hit it!" "Yes, yes... Blue four... Don't black out..." "I won't... I'm doing good, good, good... The only thing is... I wasn't even able to fire... at... them..."

"Don't worry, Blue Four. They're not in a better shape than us..."

"Can't you climb up to form with us, Gus?" "No." "Just Checking..."

In This Scenario:

This was Fenko's second WGS game.
    This time, we were three at the same side, when Guus joined us for a Scenario of my little campaign.

1. I'm using the Universal Diceless Solo WW2 Chart.
    2. Pilot Officer Andrzej Bartosz (ace) 11 kills (4 Officials) (One during this scenario) Ace abilities: Always coming back home and Perfect Aim
    3. Pilot Officer Cael Eorcenbald (regular)
    4. Pilot Officer Gus Fremhaggen (Regular)

Well that certainly had me on the edge of my seat again Quim.
    I could not see how you could get out of that one, but by dint of energetic flying you not only extricated yourselves, but took out an enemy plane and blunted the attack of the bombers.
    Well done to all pilots.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you Rob. But a certain Wing Leader wasn't able to fire a single shot. I'm such a bad host...

Thumbs up

I thought one of your Spits was done for when it was in that cone of fire from FOUR German Aircraft!
    That was a really tense fight 'Quim.
    Well done by all the pilots.

what a nice story to read
    ... only when you remember you yourself was the hmm..., shall we say unfortunate one to be hit and wounded in the first turn, you realise that a nice story is not always about something nice
    Not one shot in anger was fired by me, and by golly was I angry
    It is about time I start making a mark for myself in another role then the "unlucky one"
    Let's hope "Bad Host" and Fenko will allow me to fly with them again soon to give me a chance to rehabilitate myself.
    Well, now I'm off to the hospital to get the wounds tended to by this little expatriate Russian nurse I've seen arriving at the base hospital.
    Sometimes being unlucky can turn to something good

Guus
    Last edited by Aardvark1430; 12-12-2015 at 14:21.
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    what a nice story to read
    ... only when you remember you yourself was the hmm..., shall we say unfortunate one to be hit and wounded in the first turn, you realise that a nice story is not always about something nice
    Not one shot in anger was fired by me, and by golly was I angry
    It is about time I start making a mark for myself in another role then the "unlucky one"
    Let's hope "Bad Host" and Fenko will allow me to fly with them again soon to give me a chance to rehabilitate myself.
    Well, now I'm off to the hospital to get the wounds tended too by this little expatriate Russian nurse I've seen arriving at the base hospital.
    Sometimes being unlucky can turn to something good

Guus
    Wing Leader!

Fenko

Game was fun & a good example how strongly communication decides the flow of a battle! Joaquim's story actually contains more directions than the flight commander gave during the game...

Would like flying with you again, Guus, anytime you're in the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenko View Post
    Game was fun & a good example how strongly communication decides the flow of a battle! Joaquim's story actually contains more directions than the flight commander gave during the game...

Would like flying with you again, Guus, anytime you're in the vicinity.
    True.
    But it gives a more accurate vision of leadership issues. To be developed next scenario?

Oh my, I'm sooooo glad I'm not a manager anymore
    Guus

Ooops, I reflected on real life
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2015, 08:22
  2. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 11 - Falcons and eagles
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 04:43
  3. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 9 - Last Stand
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 07:45
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 04:47
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 1 - A Target in Dunkirk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 04:02