Ares Games

Thread: climbing

Default climbing

I was wondering if consecutive climb is allowed or do the climb moves have to be spaced out?

They must be spaced out Gary due to the two card planning sequence. If you're playing a climb card it can't be selected for the next move as that should already have been chosen.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks for your prompt and logical reply

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Going along with Dave's explanation above I have only ever played Wings of Glory with manoeuver decks which feature one climb card. Regardless of how many cards the deck has which relate to the opposite - or losing height. But ... This thread is about climbing and I have met the need to do so both from an airfield in order to start a gaming piece as well as in-game to gain height above the opposition or on occasions to bomb a target.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Going along with Dave's explanation above I have only ever played Wings of Glory with manoeuver decks which feature one climb card. Regardless of how many cards the deck has which relate to the opposite - or losing height. But ... This thread is about climbing and I have met the need to do so both from an airfield in order to start a gaming piece as well as in-game to gain height above the opposition or on occasions to bomb a target.

ALL Wings of Glory card decks contain only one climb card!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

ALL Wings of Glory card decks contain only one climb card!
    Aah ... But what goes up must come down.

In WGS the dive-bombers can lose height in consecutive manoeuvers. All other aircraft types' manoeuver decks feature one dive / descend card in reply to having one climb card only. Was going to mention this in my original answer but then decided not to. This thread being all about climbing ...

Yeah - everyone already knows that......................

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Mmm ... But I didn't until I actually got my hands on a Wings of War dive-bomber for the first time and thought hang on ... What's going on here?

It's worth mentioning that so far Wings of Glory has never had a genuine dive-bomber produced for it by Ares Games though this situation is about to change. Only Wings of War / Nexus Games has ever seen dive-bomber and this aspect of their operation doesn't IMHO become fully apparent until one is in possession of such an aircraft. However I do feel that it is correct for the dive-bombers' manoeuver decks in common with all others to feature just one climb card.

They must be spaced out Gary due to the two card planning sequence. If you're playing a climb card it can't be selected for the next move as that should already have been chosen.
    This also means that, unlike in WGF that allows one climb or one Immelmann per turn (ie. 3 cards), one can have in WGS : 2 climbs or one climb and an Immelmann within three cards/maneuvers spread over 2 turns in WGS (turn 1 = climb + straight ; turn 2 = climb/Immelmann + ...) which makes in-game WWII aircrafts better climbers, right ? Likewise for diving, right ?

(even though the scale is different)

(Noob questions. Sorry for digging up an old thread. Didn't think creating a new one was necessary.)
    Last edited by Le Piaf; 03-08-2023 at 02:05.

Similar Missions

1. 59,000 feet and climbing
    By Archidamus in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-10-2015, 09:17
  2. 1 year of service... and climbing!
    By HTRAINo in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 02:55
  3. 700 and Climbing!
    By Dwarflord22 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23