Ares Games

Thread: Shapeways

Default Shapeways

I'm just starting out, very slowly, at making models for Shapeways. I have started in 1:200, as that's what I do, but I was wondering if there was any interest in me converting bits to 1:144?
    I don't know the market and availability of bits, but I have noticed a lot more diecast in 1:144.

Steve

Default Shape ways alternatives

Hi Steve

Like you I am a relative new member to the game,

I may well be corrected here but..

WWI seems to be 1/144th

WWII seems to be 1/200th

This appears to be the scales adopted by ARES games

Shapeways seem reasonable for WWI alternatives

BUT

Pretty useless for WWII in 1/200th scale ~ especially fi you want the most popular BoB era.

Using shape ways aircraft then leaves the issues of playing deck cards and clear bases for the aircraft

I have adopted the use of Gimbles (see the Aerodrome store) which helps overcome the problem

of bases for shapeways aircraft....as you can swap and interchange using gimbles on the altitude pegs

again search the Aerodrome hobby forum for methods of how to mount them onto the pegs...

But this does not solve the problem of playing cards or decks for them...

many of the decks are available again in the Files section, but printing and laminating them does not

appear to provide the same quality as original decks.

Hope this helps

Regards

Maverick

Shapeways has more 1/200 WW2 than it does in 1/144, but most of them are not your workhorses. Lots of neat planes but it would be nice to have the useful selection like WWI has. I have found and listed 62 planes at 1/144 and 89 at 1/200 for WW2. I found 357 for WWI! (Some are similar by different designers)

Bases are not a problem for me. I don't mind using (heresy!!!) other planes bases as long as I have the correct firing arc. Then again I no longer use the official bases. Plane and movement cards are another thing. I don't mind making my own but most probably won't. I think they come out almost as nice but it does take some effort.

This thread was just to gauge the interest of those players that play WGS in 1:144, they have their own bit of the forum and everything.
    I'm going to be doing 1:200 either way. Just uploaded the Brewster Buffalo if you want something you never thought you wanted ;-)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I may well be corrected here but..

WWI seems to be 1/144th

WWII seems to be 1/200th

This appears to be the scales adopted by ARES games
    This is true and was also the situation as adopted by Ares Games predecessor Nexus Games.

I think you'll find the only decks are Zoe's Z decks for slower aircraft. Actual decks for Nexus/Ares aircraft have been removed for copyright reasons I believe.

Neil

But this does not solve the problem of playing cards or decks for them...

many of the decks are available again in the Files section, but printing and laminating them does not

appear to provide the same quality as original decks.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I thought I was bad at going completely of subject

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Steve I'm not too sure about going completely off subject with that last posting - I'm saying this politely of course

It's handy to know once you have the where there are cards available to suit them for Wings of Glory. Especially if one's into the less popular types of aircraft which were around in World War 2 - the Brewster F2A-2 / Buffalo being a good example of what I have in mind. This may very well prevent others from finding themselves in the same pickle that I am in with my current aircraft project ... Currently painted and awaiting decals which I am able to obtain ... But can I find a WGS R Manoeuver Deck of cards for either of these aircraft: Both different variants of the same type. Both unable to be brought into the game because of the same problem - no cards! I have to admit that I much prefer the officially produced manoeuver deck cards to any options which are scanned or photocopied as I don't really know how to laminate cut-outs. However out of desperation I am almost on the verge of photocopying a WGS R Deck and then picking things like laminating up as I go.

There used to be a game called Aerodrome 2.0 which was based on WW2 in 1:144 Scale but beyond talking to a nice gentleman on E-Bay about this game I have never heard anything more of it. I have a feeling that in some way Wings of War / Wings of Glory may have superseded Aerodrome which was definitely 1/144 based as I remember thinking how my large collection of WW2 Heavy Bombers would fit into that game very well ...
    I assumed the ladies & chaps that play this wonderful game in 1:144 knew what they were doing with all of the periphery, as I only play it in the proscribed default scales.
    I was just sounding out the desire for 1:144 scale planes on Shapeways, as I could conceivably create anything I do in 1:200 in 1:144 as well.

As for my comment, I was kidding, I enjoy conversations that go off kilter. They often lead to new and interesting ideas.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    As for my comment, I was kidding, I enjoy conversations that go off kilter. They often lead to new and interesting ideas.
    As for my comment re: 1/144 scale and a pickle involving a WGS R Deck I have to apologise for having removed it by accident just now: It was showing up as a duplicate posting so I aimed to remove one of the two ... Only to find it has now disappeared completely!

I think we have all been there now and again when a conversation has either gone off kilter like you say or taken an interesting turn - often meaning a random one if I am found saying that! This in the past has lead to the unique but also lead to the entertaining: The first one where I managed to put my foot in it completely was all about manoeuvers ... Chandelles to be precise - which are not in the Wings of Glory Rules! Gordon Bennett was that a learning experience: Engage Brain ... Then start typing on the Aerodrome!

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

Bases are not a problem for me. I don't mind using (heresy!!!) other planes bases as long as I have the correct firing arc. Then again I no longer use the official bases. Plane and movement cards are another thing. I don't mind making my own but most probably won't. I think they come out almost as nice but it does take some effort.
    Well heresy or not I am doing the same as you Peter.

Bases there are a few options for WGS all are or can be made compatible, Obviously AA, then Red Eagle make bases and Litko the same.
    Manouvre decks are and always have been the sticking point, but there are ways and means around this issue.
    One of which could be to have a central deck , visable to all and for each card you choose a chit with the number of the card you want to use and reveal the chit each turn, simple but easy method in my opinion

Have you got any examples of your work we can see Steve?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Hi Foz
    I think I might have inadvertently upset you in another thread which subsequently disappeared so I could not continue the discussion.
    You had loaded a photo of a Shapeways Avenger whereon I suggested that the AIM version was perhaps better looking and you replied saying how could I tell from just a photograph. My only excuse is that the photo that you showed gave the impression that the fuselage was a bit narrow. Probably the photo angle rather than the model. Anyway, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Foz
    I think I might have inadvertently upset you in another thread which subsequently disappeared so I could not continue the discussion.
    You had loaded a photo of a Shapeways Avenger whereon I suggested that the AIM version was perhaps better looking and you replied saying how could I tell from just a photograph. My only excuse is that the photo that you showed gave the impression that the fuselage was a bit narrow. Probably the photo angle rather than the model. Anyway, sorry for any misunderstanding.
    No worries, though I'm going to defend my art. They were taken from, at least what looked like proper 3-up drawings/blueprints.
    I didn't have to do anything to the hull for 3d printing. The wings are about .3mm thicker than they should be, but that's down to the requirements of the material. AIMs will have similar issues.
    I have 3 on order myself, as do a few other people, so I'll see how they look in real life in about 2 weeks.
    The renders Shapeways do, are a sort of generated perspective, so can throw the viewpoint off a little. But then an orthographic viewpoint would be even worse.

Well I'm a long time WW1 player, but getting into the WWII version when a acquired a cheap starter set (cards, not minis), to use with my existing collection of US and Japanese aircraft in 1/144 Most of them seem to use the A thru I decks I already have, and Litko provided perfectly good bases.

Recently my LGS decided to cut his lossing by dumping the game entirely so I picked up three Heinkels, two Bf110's two Stukas and a handful of Spitfires & Hurricanes to do the Battle of Britain in 1/200. Zvezda make a JU-88 so I bought three of those, and turned to Shapeways for reinforcements - which arrived two days ago. The Bf109's are OK and the Stukas quite nice, but I was very disappointed in the rough texture of the Do-17's which appeared to be made of rough hewn timber and even extensive sanding did not improve them that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Well I'm a long time WW1 player, but getting into the WWII version when a acquired a cheap starter set (cards, not minis), to use with my existing collection of US and Japanese aircraft in 1/144 Most of them seem to use the A thru I decks I already have, and Litko provided perfectly good bases.

Recently my LGS decided to cut his lossing by dumping the game entirely so I picked up three Heinkels, two Bf110's two Stukas and a handful of Spitfires & Hurricanes to do the Battle of Britain in 1/200. Zvezda make a JU-88 so I bought three of those, and turned to Shapeways for reinforcements - which arrived two days ago. The Bf109's are OK and the Stukas quite nice, but I was very disappointed in the rough texture of the Do-17's which appeared to be made of rough hewn timber and even extensive sanding did not improve them that much.
    White Strong Flexible is quite a hard material to work with. That's why I generally stick to FUD, though bigger planes get prohibitively expensive. There are various threads on the forums regarding priming WSF, some have come up with very good results using all sorts of things, from PVA glue to floor polish. The ones I've done so far I've primed with matt varnish, which does help.

Glad I saw this thread. I just ordered a few Shapeways planes. Got 3 Swordfish and 2 IL10 last week. Did the floor wax on one and RUSTOLIUM on another. Have to paint them and see how they come out. I did think of the Min Wax varnish after I did that because I used that for my 1/72 plastic figures which helped with painting. Thanks for all the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    White Strong Flexible is quite a hard material to work with. That's why I generally stick to FUD, though bigger planes get prohibitively expensive.
    Yes, that was the deal breaker for me - a $15 difference x 3 aircraft. I sanded them as much as I could (thankfully the WSF is pretty robust) and used Mod Podge after painting which helped to seal the decals in as well. Here is how the Bf109's turned out after my lousy efforts with the paint brush and craft acrylics from Walmart. Oblt. Josef "Pips" Priller's Yellow One and whoever the other guy is in Yellow Three

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2574.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	208393

Unidentified squadron Red Five

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2573.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	208394

Those canopies look horrible - any suggestions that don't involve a large hammer, blow torch or meat grinder would be appreciated

If the model has raised ribs on the canopy, first paint with an enamel or other really rugged paint the colour you want for the ribs.

Then when dry, overpaint the lot with an acryllic the colour of the glass. Thinly.

Wait a day.

Then gently rub over the surface with your thumb. This will remove the not quite completely cured acryllic, but as long ss you just lightly brush your thumb over a few dozen times, won't rub off the paint between the ribs.

--

If there are no raided ribs, use a decal. Either paint the glass colour, then a transparent decal with darker canopy ribs, or use a full decal, and touch up areas the decal doesn't cover with paint. If you make a mistake, it's easy to remove paint from the decal area with a fine brush.

This model makes use of full decals for side windows. Top canopy structure was so raised it was easy to paint with a fine brush. Turrets required ,the rub with thumb one.

Just saw this and great tips as always from you Zoe. I have some Shapeway planes I just bought so the tip is well timed.

Similar Missions

1. WSF First buy from Shapeways. Some help please
    By LOOP in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 08:52
  2. Shapeways
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2013, 14:36
  3. FE 2b on Shapeways????
    By gully_raker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 17:43
  4. Shapeways DFW C5
    By Zoe Brain in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 05:02
  5. Shapeways Pup - have we seen this before?
    By Guntruck in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 17:34