Ares Games

Thread: Airco DH5

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Question Airco DH5

Just got a couple of Airco DH5's from Shapeways (Kampfflieger) I'm wondering what decks to use, I am guessing "A" for damage but what about the manoeuvre deck? My understanding is that it did not handle well and was unpopular because of its poor rearward visibility. I don't think the hun needed to be in the sun, if he was behind you that was enough, you would never see him. Bit of a design flaw in a fighter really!

Anyway, I digress, which manoeuvre deck?

...Also toying with the idea of giving some advantage to attacks from the rear, given that it was such notable disadvantage for the DH5, not sure how I might represent this, any suggestions?

It's the 'I' deck, according to the most recent version of the stats spreadsheet. (Will put the link in shortly when I've got it as I'm on a mobile now and it's a bit fiddly!)

Maneuver I, shoots with B, 15 damage, climb 3, ceiling 11.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2067

What disadvantage to give it? Hmmm...maybe when an enemy is behind, not tailing, just behind it's wing line, choose your 3 maneuver cards first and show one to the enemy before he picks his?
    If playing with altitude I'd give tailing to an enemy above and anywhere behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

Thanks, was trying to find it but it's fiddly as **** on this!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

Thanks, Hadn't seen this before. Excellent..... B damage, even better!

I have one of the Shapeways but haven't painted it up yet. Now thinking how different it is I'll push it up the painting queue.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I've always had a soft spot for the poor old DH5, and have a flight of them destined for the AFC if I ever find the free time to indulge myself getting decals done for them. It's worth noting that they were used a *lot* for trench strafeing and similar dangerous low level pursuits (where their superb forward visibility was a real asset, and the simpler synchronisation meant the single gun coukd actually put a decent rate of fire out anyway) so there's plenty of scope for scenario games with the DH5s down in the weeds and something a little more modern flying top cover.
    Last edited by Dom S; 11-10-2015 at 16:26.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for the poor old DH5, and have a flight of them destined for the AFC if I ever find the free time to indulge myself getting decals done for them. It's worth noting that they were used a *lot* for trench strafeing and similar dangerous low level pursuits (where their superb forward visibility was a real asset, and the simpler synchronisation meant the single gun coukd actually put a decent rate of fire out anyway) so there's plenty of scope for scenario games with the DH5s down in the weeds and something a little more modern flying top cover.
    I agree with you Dom, It looks like it would be a fun aircraft to play if it was given a few house rules here and there to help bring out its finer points, In fact I have wondered if all aircraft might be given a "buff" or two to individualise them more and take account of these idiosyncrasies.....I need to mull this over..
    Last edited by Embis; 11-10-2015 at 22:25.

I got a pair of DH5 but they have yet to see any action. Was going to use them as a scenario base as per Doms suggestion, trench raid with top cover and Entente trying to stop

Similar Missions

1. WSF My Airco DH.9
    By flash in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 13:47
  2. WSF Airco DH 5 x 2
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 09:41
  3. WSF Airco DH 9's
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7