Ares Games

Thread: SE-5a: Whose kits are best?

Default SE-5a: Whose kits are best?

If I were to undertake building and painting up a flight of SE-5as of a single Squadron(say six planes) how would you proceed? With the pricing on Nexus/ARES OOP models to high, I would need to go kit. Those of you who have experience with a range of 1/144 minis, what would you recommend? All opinions welcome.

The ones I've experienced, Valom look the best, but are as fiddly as hell.
    There are two? sellers on Shapeways, and the looks are subjective. White Strong Flexible is a nice strong material to work with, but needs a bit of prep work for painting. That was my choice in the end.
    I'm sure others will pipe up on SRAM or Red Eagle.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I've picked up a couple of FUD finish SE-5a models from one of the Shapeways sellers (whose they were escape me at present), which are sold as a 'pair' by the manufacturer, and I have them primed waiting for paint. They are lovely little models, and aside from gluing on the propeller, they needed no construction or prep work (except for gluing on a peg so they'll 'fly'...).

All the best,
    Matt

I have yet to build any of my Valom SE5as; I must say that the single-strut arrangement makes them look to be more fiddly than the Fokker DVIIs I have built.
    I have eight Shapeways WSF SE5as, two of which are prepped, but none completed. They are great models, and the boxy shape and wide wing spacing make clean-up very easy.
    I have two completed Skytrex/Red Eagle planes (bought already finished) and they do not look as good - there's something wrong with the proportions. Maybe it's the way they were built.
    I gave up on my SE5a build projects when I acquired a dozen or so Nexus models through ebay lots.

Valom or shape ways is the way to go. Valom's are nice but a bit of a task to assemble, shape ways no problem

You could try Skytrex, still available in UK since change of ownership. Not sure about USA .
    You can see a couple of my four in "Circuits and Bumps" forum. Good enough to shoot down the Red Baron in a recent dog fight! A bit fiddly when fitting the struts but not a bad kit if cleaned up properly. I sometimes use brass wire instead of the white metal ones supplied with the kitToo heavy for gimbal mounts though.

Advantages/Disadvantages:

Valom : Fragile, difficult to build, but best detail. Experts can get the best results with these - but it needs an Expert. Fairly light. Good decals.
    Shapeways FUD - Fragile, but good detail without having to scratchbuild. Has the right "sit". Light. No construction needed. No decals.
    Shapeways WSF - Sturdy, best for gaming, have the right "sit" but treat as a "blank" that needs extreme surface prep. Light. No construction needed. No decals.
    Red Eagle - HEAVY. Doesn't look like an SE5a unless made by an expert - doesn't have the right "sit". Cheap, good decals.

So they all have drawbacks.

For gaming, I prefer Shapeways WSF. I can make my own decals, and while the surface prep is a lot of work, no modelling skill whatsoever is needed. Detail is adequate, no better.

Next best would be Shapeways FUD. I think these are too fragile for gaming, but they have enough detail to be considered for display models. Basically, like Valom, but no decals, and doesn't require an expert to build them. Details not as good as Valom, but very close. Expensive

Metal models - they don't look right, they're too heavy for gimbals, they require moderate modelling skill, but pre-shapeways were the only game in town.

I just built two Valoms SE5a and two Shapeway SE5a recently. Valom cons are the struts, it was a real pain getting the struts and wings right. I tossed the struts that came with the model and found my own struts. Lot of time spent putting it together. Shapeway, have to glue on prop, but that's it. Paint looks better on Valom, but I didn't really prep the Shapeways. No decals with Shapeways for a con.

I'd probably go Shapeway when/if I do it again.

Similar Missions

1. New kits from Valom
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2015, 13:39
  2. 1/144 Valom kits
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 15:23
  3. More Valom kits
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8