Ares Games

Thread: OTT ED Mission 17-Gas Gas Gas!-15 May 1917

Default OTT ED Mission 17-Gas Gas Gas!-15 May 1917

Fwbl Rudi Koch gave Vzfw Reinhardt Richter a quick salute and the ground crew let go. Off he bounced down the runway in a Rumpler, slowly gaining speed with Ltn Horst Zimmermann behind him. Richter followed in a scorpion decorated Roland CII with Ltn Otto Weber arming his Parabellum during the takeoff.
    Once in the air they circled the aerodrome a few times gaining altitude, then headed off towards the west into the lowering sun.
    Both Richter and Koch knew the gravity of this particular mission. Spies had reported a buildup for a new offensive by the British. If the spy report was correct this time their foe was planning on using poison gas!
    Seven miles behind enemy lines the troop and ammunition convoy was parked at a small town. It concentrated last night and was to move out just after dusk tonight, so an attack on it before dusk was imperative.

Running through Richter’s mind again…
    “Care must be taken while dropping your bombs”, Hptn Buttner said, “as the town also has a prisoner depot and hospital aid station. We don’t want to bomb our own boys or any wounded. The propaganda value of that would be a disaster”.

“Here we are being careful not to bomb their wounded as they prepare to gas us, fffffuh”!
    Richter yelled to Weber with a hand gesture towards the enemy lines.

The new AA section were relaxing after dinner when the lookout yelled that planes were approaching. “They were coming from the east so they are likely Hun as we have no airfields directly west of us, get ready to fire”, confidently spoke the section commander as he raised his binoculars.
    The new crew had not yet fired a live round at an enemy plane so the excitement level was high.
    Two of the boys bumped into each other, both of them falling down as the gun boomed. The shot went by the German plane harmlessly as setting the detonation fuse was forgotten.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17-1.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	180194

The convoys began to roll as 2Lt David Haines flew over as cover.

Name:	17-2.JPG 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	180195

In the dimming light the AA section was spotted and both planes veered away.

Name:	17-3.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	180196

Name:	17-4.JPG 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	180197

The AA section kept an eye trained on the one German plane and wasted another shell without setting the fuse.

Name:	17-5.JPG 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	180198

Haines didn’t see Richter in time to line up a shot but Otto Weber was ready. The SE5a’s oil line was pinged spreading oil over the hot engine immediately sending off a trail of smoke.

Name:	17-6.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	180199

Not knowing where the shot came from Haines flew his smoking plane over the AA section for protection while Koch flew around to the north.

Name:	17-7.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	180200

Name:	17-8.JPG 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	180201

The Germans flew down low to try to see what each convoy was carrying.

Name:	17-9.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	180202

Name:	17-10.JPG 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	180203

The AA section commander had kept is binoculars on the Rumpler and had another round fired. Did the round explode in the cloud? Still he saw no air burst. He watched the next round loaded and stopped the crew. He couldn’t believe it. The boys weren’t setting the fuse!
    After a considerable amount of frantically yelled instruction on proper fuse setting, the next shell was loaded.

Name:	17-11.JPG 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	180204

Even in the waining light it was obvious what was in the trucks beneath them. The red crosses on white were all to plane to see, the trucks with waving troops, some pickelhaulbes peering out from under the canvas were friends. Trucks with troops with rifles and those loaded with crates are definitely were the targets. Only one tightly bundles up convoy unidentified, that must be the gas. Hand signals passes between Koch and Richter, targets were selected.

Name:	17-12.JPG 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	180205

Name:	17-13.JPG 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	180206

Name:	17-14.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	180207

The smoking SE5a approached fast and the Hun scattered.

Name:	17-15.JPG 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	180208

Haines went after the closest Hun, a Rumpler. Both planes exchanged poor shots but Haines noticed he could not turn to follow up. His controls were sluggish as the Hun had hit a cable.

Name:	17-16.JPG 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	180209

This was bad news as Haines’ faster plane brought him next to the 2 seater and Zimmermann scored a well placed shot.

Name:	17-17.JPG 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	180210

With the Brit speeding past Koch turned back towards the convoys.

Name:	17-19.JPG 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	180211

Richter noticed the exchange between Koch and the Brit. Seeing Koch head to the convoys he went after the scout.

Name:	17-20.JPG 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	180212

Haines can’t turn fast enough and Richter plugs a few more holes into the SE5a.

Name:	17-21.JPG 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	180213

The AA section reacquired Koch as he flew back over the convoys. The near miss jostled the Rumpler and the bomb drop was put on hold for another pass.

Name:	17-22.JPG 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	180214

Otto keeps up the fire on the SE5a as it passes behind the Roland.

Name:	17-23.JPG 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	180215

As Haines turns in to attack he feels a searing pain in his right shoulder, Weber delivered a crippling blow.

Name:	17-24.JPG 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	180216

The Ricther turns in to let Otto keep firing. Haines gets off a weak shot before his engine is engulfed in flames blocking his view. His SE5a can’t take any more and plummets to the ground, burning all the way down.

Name:	17-25.JPG 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	180217

Name:	17-26.JPG 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	180218

Richter turns towards the convoys as Reginald Parke flys onto the scene.

Name:	17-27.JPG 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	180219

Name:	17-29.JPG 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	180220

Otto takes a long shot and misses just before Richter passes under a cloud.

Name:	17-30.JPG 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	180221

Parke dives under the cloud gaining on Koch. Minimal damage is traded between all three planes.

Name:	17-31.JPG 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	180222

The AA section commander is adamant and keeps his boys firing at the Rumpler.
    Seeing another miss he personally sets the next fuse.

Name:	17-32.JPG 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	180223

Richter drops a couple bombs into the troop convoy setting trucks on fire. In a panic some trucks crash while turning off the road spilling troops into the fields.
    Parke keeps on the Rumpler while taking more fire from Otto.

Name:	17-33.JPG 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	180224

Name:	17-34.JPG 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	180225

Richter notices Koch’s plight with the scout on his tail and turns in to help. Both Richter and Otto score big and the British plane shudders
    Koch drops a couple bombs into an ammunition truck setting off a series of explosions that take out half a dozen trucks.

Name:	17-35.JPG 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	180226

Richter smells the kill and gets to 30 yards range and opens up again setting the Brit on fire, destroying it, sending it spinning in flames into the ground.

Name:	17-36.JPG 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	180227

Name:	17-37.JPG 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	180228

Name:	17-38.JPG 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	180229

The AA section’s persistence paid off. The crew cheer loudly as a direct hit knocks the Rumpler out of the sky.

Name:	17-39.JPG 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	180230

Not seeing what happened to Koch and Zimmermann, Richter takes a wide turn trying to make out another target in the failing light.

Name:	17-40.JPG 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	180231

Name:	17-41.JPG 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	180232

Richter’s bomb run was not made easy with air bursts around him.

Name:	17-42.JPG 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	180233

As he got over the target he couldn’t make out friend of foe so he held off dropping any eggs. It was just too dark on the ground to make anything out. With visibility gone he turned his Roland home....

Name:	17-43.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	180234

Falling towards the ground it became darker and darker. Rudi somehow gained enough control to avoid a crash. He amazingly landed the battered plane, but unfortunately it was quite close to the AA section that took him down. Rudi and Horst quickly went about setting the plane on fire. Horst noticed many men running their way and said to Rudi they must go now. Rudi was still making sure any maps and mission information got into the fire when he was captured. Horst, hiding in a copse of trees knew with only a pistol he couldn’t confront ten enemy soldiers and watched as they took Rudi away. Horst makes his way back through the lines that night and reports Rudi Koch’s capture.

Butcher’s Bill

2Lt David Haines SD FLM WIA FT 0 kills
    C&W 4 - 2flm - 1wia = 1 kia

Name:	17-44.JPG 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	180235

2Lt Reginald Parke SD FLM FT (oops, didn’t take a BB photo!)
    C&W 5 -2flm = 3 severely injured 2 = miss 2 missions

Name:	17-38.JPG 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	180229

Vzfw Reinhardt Richter RTB 1 kill 1 troop convoy destroyed
    Ltn Otto Weber RTB 1 kill

Name:	17-46.JPG 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	180236

Fwbl Rudi Koch SD ET 0 kills 1 ammunition convoy destroyed
    C&W 11 - 1sd = 10 = lands intact
    EET 5 -1et = 4 captured but escapes 6 = miss 3 missions
    Ltn Horst Zimmermann SD ET 0 kills
    C&W 10 - 1sd = 9 ok
    EET 11 - 1 = 10 They never saw him!

Name:	17-45.JPG 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	180237

Troop convoy +25 points
    Ammunition convoy +25 points
    2 enemy scouts +50 points
    Lost one plane -25 points

total 75 points
    Last edited by flash; 11-04-2015 at 23:44. Reason: name change

Difficult to say who won that encounter ! That was edge of the seat stuff - denied total victory only by the lack of daylight it seems. Wunderbar !
    Iron Cross 2nd class for Ltn Weber for his second victory Iron Cross first class for his total mission/kill tally
    Iron Cross first class for Vzfw Richter for his total mission/kill tally
    Beers for the Gunners !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Richter and Weber have turned out to be the A team for my 2 seaters. I hope I haven't jinxed them saying that as early on it seemed every observer died on mission.

I think that AA section will be deadly in the future now that they know how to set the fuse!

Playing the trucks was interesting. I rolled each turn to see which X? deck to use to make them less predictable. I see that is what I should have done for the tanks in my Somme game, making the front of the vehicle card match up to the movement arrow.

The AA crew will have fun in the mess tonight!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 11-08-2015 at 18:42.

Thumbs up

Well played Peter!
    Loved the darkening skies as the mission played out.
    It sure helps if those trucks are not the "supercharged" ones that my lads tackled.

Brilliantly done Peter. I must say I never thought of playing this from the German perspective. Now I think I will. Get my 2 seater crews off their backsides and into the air.

Well done sir.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Well done and well played. I enjoyed reading something from the German perspective for a change.

A very entertaining AAR as usual Peter.
    I also enjoyed hearing the German commentary. I thought they were a bit unlucky not to have scored more hits on the convoy.
    The darkening sky was an excellent touch as everyone said.
    Well worth a bit of rep.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excellent AAR.
    Loved the additional storyline of the AA crew. Too bad they learned how to fire in the end ...
    The photos look great - your clouds really add to the atmosphere (must get me some of those)
    Richter's Roland looks awesome BTW.

Great AAR Peter - glad that Koch and Zimmermann managed to walk away from the wreck

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Excellent AAR.
    Loved the additional storyline of the AA crew. Too bad they learned how to fire in the end ...
    The photos look great - your clouds really add to the atmosphere (must get me some of those)
    Richter's Roland looks awesome BTW.
    I made the clouds with white pipe cleaners, cotton and a washer. I'll do a how to at the end of the month.
    I have to make some AA bursts! I love seeing everyone else's.

The Roland is a Shapeways. Glad you like it. I want to do a couple more with the scorpion, white wings but different
    color fuselage.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well played Peter!
    Loved the darkening skies as the mission played out.
    It sure helps if those trucks are not the "supercharged" ones that my lads tackled.
    Yes, your trucks were definitely off to the races! (as fast as my tanks in scenario 9!)

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Great AAR Peter - glad that Koch and Zimmermann managed to walk away from the wreck
    When they went down I feared another observer was going west but thankfully he landed on his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Brilliantly done Peter. I must say I never thought of playing this from the German perspective. Now I think I will. Get my 2 seater crews off their backsides and into the air.

Well done sir.
    I've been waiting for a chance to fly my Roland and took it. The AI bomber was somewhat clueless so be prepared to help it along on the spotting and especially the bombing.

Great AAR Peter, I loved the way you photographed it, with the ever darkening sky, it really gave it atmosphere. Well done.

Probably the best AAR I've ever read! Briliant, I really like name tags near mini's bases and other cool improvements as night falling on battlefield etc. Thank you for posting

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTTED Mission 17 : “GAS, GAS, GAS” – 15 May 1917 by Brambo
    By Brambo in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-12-2015, 07:16
  2. AAR OTT ED Mission 17-Gas Gas Gas!-15 May 1917 (diceslinger)
    By diceslinger in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 07:28
  3. AAR OTT ED Mission 16 - Prelude to Arras - April 8th 1917
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 08:15
  4. BRF OTT ED Mission 16-Prelude to Arras-April 8th 1917
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 03:37
  5. AAR OTT ED Mission 13: The Hunter in the Skies! - Jan 15th 1917