Ares Games

Thread: London to New York in 30 minutes.

Default London to New York in 30 minutes.

Designers have released details of a Mach 10 concept craft capable of flying from London to New York in 30 minutes.
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/london-to-...7.html#efmpLSL

Smile

Bet there will be no cabin service on that flight!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

There was talk of this between 2001 and 2005 when something called a scramjet was all the rave. Then the prototype scramjet vehicle crashed in 2003 followed by the abandonment of Boeing's SST-2010 Project in 2005. Which when I had stopped laughing and read the credits told me that what I had been watching was brought to me by a Global Aerospace Industry which on December 3rd 2003 couldn't even get a replica of the Wright Brothers' Flyer to airborne at Kitty Hawk NC! Bear in mind that had it not been for 1903 & All That we may still have had aerospace technology today but not to the extent which we are all familiar with ...

London to New York as the crow flies is around 5,188 Nautical Miles (5,707 Statute or Normal Miles) in length. Requiring a True Air Speed of 2,594 Knots in order to cover that distance in 30 minutes. Or greater in terms of cruise speed attained via climb and acceleration to cruise height and the return to terra firma once again taken into consideration during that set 30 minute airtime ... Jeez a pig just flew past my window - somebody get it's registration number please?!

There are a number of blindingly scientific reasons I am aware of as to why I cannot see this happening: The simplest of them being that the Human Body would have trouble functioning properly when exposed to such strong forces that is if they are survivable at all. Nobody in the history of man has ever been exposed to such forces unless it has been in a science-fiction film or in their wildest dreams and the first thing which would be required is what in layman's terms is known as space-suits. On the basis of weight and cost the industry would not fork out for these: Not when the industry isn't prepared to fork out for rearward-facing seats despite these being proven to be better in terms of safety than forward-facing seats. Or smoke hoods in the event of a fire.

You also have to find somebody who is prepared to fly an aircraft that fast in the first place whilst being aware of all the risks of doing so ... Not even for an insanely beautiful woman would anybody find me prepared to fly anything this fast! I know there was a time some are saying in response to this that we only had small aircraft ... Now we have the 555-seater Airbus A380 but that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Bet there will be no cabin service on that flight!
    Not if Easyjet get hold of it.

Anyone read The man in the high castle by Philip K Delta India Charlie Kilo ( blasphemy police stopped me writing ****)? Berlin to New York in 45 minutes by rocket plane.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post

Anyone read The man in the high castle by Philip K Delta India Charlie Kilo ( blasphemy police stopped me writing ****)? Berlin to New York in 45 minutes by rocket plane.
    No. I will google this book now - when I saw your original posting I thought you had been bleeped and that this was possibly the author's surname. Happened to me once talking about the lead singer of the band Iron Maiden!

Similar set of figures BER D-> NYC with 45 minutes airtime. Same set of factors opposing this objective as a result. But at least the author is now rich having written a book all about doing so

Don't worry about hypersonic atmospheric flight. Just use the suborbital trebuchet.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Don't worry about hypersonic atmospheric flight. Just use the suborbital trebuchet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    No. I will google this book now -
    I wouldn't bother. I found the book disjointed and not a good read.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

It wouldn't be allowed to land in NY anyway - 'too noisy' !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Even more worryingly, if EasyJet use it there's no telling where passengers will end up You can just see the announcement - "Well folks, we've diverted to an airport only 30 minutes from your planned destination of New York - welcome to Sydney!"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Even more worryingly, if EasyJet use it there's no telling where passengers will end up You can just see the announcement - "Well folks, we've diverted to an airport only 30 minutes from your planned destination of New York - welcome to Sydney!"
    Seems we always welcome misplaced tourists!
    ( read Asylum Seekers AKA illegal immigrants !)
    Apologies if that transcends "no Political posts".

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    There would also probably be a brand new version of the luggage joke: Breakfast in London. Lunch in New York ... Luggage in Bombay - or Mumbai as the later version of this ends

In terms of what cabin services are available on board there may also have to be a change to another joke which started life during an online Ground School session ... But went viral after somebody let the cat out of the bag!

Bing-Bong: In-flight message from the cabin crew to all passengers ...
    Bling-Bong: In-flight sales jewellery promotion for all passengers!

It even made Johnson's Inflight News under the headline Ground School Titter ... Oh my days!

Similar Missions

1. National On BBC Radio 5 in a few minutes
    By von Fustercluck in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 06:49
  2. 10 Minutes before Pearl Harbour Dec 7th Dec 1941
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 07:23
  3. 30 Minutes over Lomonosov (Gateway to Leningrad).
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 07:06
  4. How to make a playing map in 20 minutes (plus printing time)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 18:54
  5. 15 Minutes of extacy!
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 01:44