Ares Games

Thread: Assistance Required

Default Assistance Required

From the unofficial stats committee:

What damage card would you give to a 5 barreled Nordenfelt 1" mg?

5-Barrel Rifle-Calibre Gun

Mk I 5-barrel Nordenfelt with late pattern distributor and hopper (Royal Armouries, Leeds)

Late and Early designs of Hopper [N3]

Late design hopper and distributor

Old design of hopper and distributor

Motion of action block through links to quarter-circle segment cams (rollover)

Mk II 5-barrel Nordenfelt (National Maritime Museum)

The 5-barrel rifle-calibre machine gun was capable of a maximum (quoted) rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute (or 120 volleys a minute). Aimed and sustained fire would be slower. As it fired the same cartridge as rifles, the efective range would be 300 - 400 yards. although as the barrels were mounted on a solid, non-recoil mounting, accuracy would have been better than individual rifles.

The hopper held 100 rounds, 20 per gun (old hopper) 10 per gun (new hopper). Crew of 2-3. Firer, loader and reloader.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 10-21-2015 at 07:18.
    See you on the Dark Side......

With a rate of fire like that & a 100rd hopper it is similar to the Lewis gun Neil, so in spite of its 1" calibre I'd suggest a B deck. Though the issues would be: how long to reload, at least a two man crew to operate it, and how long can the operator crank it !!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

From what I read hopper off, new hopper on.

Only problem with a jam you had to put a hopper on with no bullets above the jammed barrel!

Hoppers had to be manually reloaded with bullets to. But with more hoppers this wouldn't be a problem as I've also seen note of 5 man crews, gunner, loader and upto 3 reloaders.

I'm with Dave, and give it a B damage. The bigger question is were they able to elevate to reach high targets; this mount looks like an anti-torpedo boat usage.
    Even if so, you might need to come up with tracking rules, like AAA or your searchlights. If so, maybe an A damage would be justified.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

It is mounted on a separate piece which elevates the gun the same height as in the picture again. B damage sounds about right. 360 traverse. Stable platform as this was a river monitor. However this is a work in progress.

So not very useful against aircraft, unless they are dropping a torpedo, which wasn't likely in a river
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Only problem with a jam you had to put a hopper on with no bullets above the jammed barrel!
    Hoppers had to be manually reloaded with bullets to. But with more hoppers this wouldn't be a problem as I've also seen note of 5 man crews, gunner, loader and upto 3 reloaders.
    Having read a little on it, the loading/ejection was hand cranked with a mechanism that loaded all barrels simultaneously, if there was a jammed round in the breech of a barrel the hopper system would drop the next round in but it would have nowhere to go and stop any barrels being loaded until it had been cleared. I wonder how prone to jams it was ?!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I've only ever encountered it in the Sudan, on both wheeled carriages and static mounts on river steamers.

It seemed to jam quite frequently, though this could be down to the huge amount of wind-blown sand around!

From what I could gather from various sets of Sudan Colonial war games rules, it was less prone to jamming than the Gatling, but more prone than the Maxim.

Couldn't fit one on the top wing of my Brisfit Tim therefore am unable to comment on this one mate, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Couldn't fit one on the top wing of my Brisfit Tim therefore am unable to comment on this one mate, lol
    Are you sure you really tried?

Hang on, it's YOU - of course you really tried!

Can't you remember at WMMS when we wing mounted the 2 Pak 40's? Chris complained that was unfair, even if it was on a Staaken as a representation of the missing upper wing mg's that Chris said we couldn't use if they weren't there. But I'd just like him to clear a stoppage on that beast and reload it! The Brisfits speed should suffer too, probably an XA deck!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Are you sure you really tried?

Hang on, it's YOU - of course you really tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Can't you remember at WMMS when we wing mounted the 2 Pak 40's? Chris complained that was unfair, even if it was on a Staaken as a representation of the missing upper wing mg's that Chris said we couldn't use if they weren't there. But I'd just like him to clear a stoppage on that beast and reload it! The Brisfits speed should suffer too, probably an XA deck!
    How true!

Yes, XA deck, climb rate 5, max altitude 8, instant BOOM if it does an Immelmann! (bye-bye top wing!)

I was thinking a military laser would be less weighty (oh no Elite flashbacks, lol)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Now there was a game!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I was thinking a military laser would be less weighty (oh no Elite flashbacks, lol)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dr Evil.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	179437
    Biffs with frikkin' Lasers...................!

Similar Missions

1. Turn Sequence - Assistance Required
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 00:10
  2. Assistance Required
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2015, 16:02
  3. WGF Assistance
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16