Ares Games

Thread: First Air War (NOVA)

Default First Air War (NOVA)

Just watched a pretty cool video...

I know this has been discussed already, but I missed the talk the first time around and thought others might have as well...

Both Mike (OldGuy59) and Chris (Willi Von Klugermann) started threads about this 53 minute program from NOVA last year. Although far too short (who wouldn't have liked another hour or three?), it displays a lovely collection of flying WWI kites built to original period specs... B.E.2, R.E.8, S.E.5a, Albatros D.Va, Fokker Dr.I, and Bristol F.2A to name a few. Made me wish I had come to this passion a little earlier in life!

The program explores some of the aircraft development taking place as a result of the war over the Western Front but, as previously mentioned, can't really get too deep into the subject. Nice video of WW1 and modern day reproductions. Worth a look, despite its brevity.

Mike's thread: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...highlight=nova

Chris' thread: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...highlight=nova

If interested, you may be able to view here:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365355624/

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Very good film, however there was a bit of a bias toward the Allied side of the air war without a lot of exploring the Central Powers side. Over all, anything that expands the knowledge base and interest in this era as a whole is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse4261 View Post
    Very good film, however there was a bit of a bias toward the Allied side of the air war without a lot of exploring the Central Powers side. Over all, anything that expands the knowledge base and interest in this era as a whole is a good thing.
    Fair point. Though I'd prefer to use focus rather than bias... largely due to the negative connotations people associate with bias. In this case, I don't remember a specifically anti-CP bias, but the video was itself focused primarily on British aircraft.

Garros is mentioned, and they've got a nice photo of a French parasol, but not much more of the French. Fokker, likewise, gets some play... as does his iconic Eindecker and (Swiss?) interrupter gear.

Must try and check this out. Have you watched A v L on the other thread? Nice film of what it may have been look to have been tailed. Although not much acrobatic manoeuvres.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I've got this one in my Netflix queue. It does look pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Must try and check this out. Have you watched A v L on the other thread? Nice film of what it may have been look to have been tailed. Although not much acrobatic manoeuvres.
    The SPAD does seem a little more interested in staying in frame... and I doubt D.VII pilots were quite so amicable when it came to being tailed. Great video, nonetheless.

For those who've not had the pleasure, you can find it courtesy of Zoe Brain here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...p?23451-A-vs-L

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    I've got this one in my Netflix queue. It does look pretty good!
    That's where I saw it. Amazon has it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Fair point. Though I'd prefer to use focus rather than bias... largely due to the negative connotations people associate with bias. In this case, I don't remember a specifically anti-CP bias, but the video was itself focused primarily on British aircraft.

Garros is mentioned, and they've got a nice photo of a French parasol, but not much more of the French. Fokker, likewise, gets some play... as does his iconic Eindecker and (Swiss?) interrupter gear.
    yeah, i get the feel this was to have been an installment in a series. this one was about the rfc/raf expirience.

I very much enjoyed watching the show. They certainly skip over the time period because of the narrow scope of the show. The workmanship, research and dedication of the people that are building those planes is truly inspiring. I could watch a show just about the building process alone. Amazing! The accounts of the flyers was very interesting, too. Thanks for sharing!!!

Similar Missions

1. General NOVA - First Air War
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2015, 05:34
  2. Nová WWII letadla
    By Honza in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 03:24
  3. Baltimore-Washington NoVa Gamers
    By CaptWillard in forum US Wing
    Replies: 8