Ares Games

Thread: Calling all Welsh Squadron pilots!

Default Calling all Welsh Squadron pilots!

After being in touch with the majority of welsh pilots on the forum (I've also chased a few more this way so they should hopefully be posting soon as well) I think we're in a very lucky situation in that we have one group in the valleys that live close to each other (Pope, Scotty, Phil, Mike Hobbs, myself) and another larger group (Chris, David, Ian and others) living in the Cardiff area - so why not make the most of it and play some games against each other within the squadron as well as maybe finding another squadron nearby and taking the fight to them (maybe we should call ourselves the fighting dragons rather than the flying dragons?!)

For example, Scotty came up to my house for the first time for a few games last night, and we had a great time - especially the Handley Page bombing mission at the end, so why don't we all try to meet up on a weekly basis in our local groups and then once a month as a full squadron at firestorm games? It'll also give us valleys pilots a chance to show the cardiff city pilots a trick or two when it comes to dogfighting!

Sounds like a plan to me.

All up for it as long as its not a Wednesday i'm free.

Cheers

TB

I'm a bit jeleaous you have manged to get together a whole sqd in Wales, have a good time.
    I will see some of you at the tournament in January I expect.
    Don

Users Country Flag

Name
    Scott Edwards
    Sorties Flown

Hey there chaps!!

lets get a multiplayer game going soon. As Shaun said, we had a great game the other day except for my two planes coliding just as I went for the kill! (full report poseted soon).

Scotty

Right here goes - open invitation at my house on Wednesday evenings from 7pm 'til whenever you have to go for any welsh squadron pilots. We'll have a couple of dogfights and then maybe try some bombing missions (Handleys or Gothas, whichever you prefer - they make a brilliant game!). Maybe we could also rotate the venue each week if you like as I'm more than happy to drive to a game...

I can get away with doing it on Wednesdays as there aren't any TV soaps on that night for the wife to watch so I can take over the living room! Let me know if you're interested

We'll also be able to sort out a monthly date to meet at firestorm with the squadron pilots in Cardiff - what about a Thursday as rob has late opening until about 10-11pm that evening so it'll give us plenty of time if we need it?

I bet the missus is dead chuffed about that

Hi Shaun,
    My wife is happy to get rid of me on Wednesdays, I think it would be quicker for me to walk from my house to yours than drive. I should be able to host some games at mine and will let you know.
    We may be able to use the RAFA Club in Mount for some sessions when we don't fancy the drive to Firestorm. I could ask Tom the steward if you want as they hardly use the upstairs room.

Cheers, Aled

If you do decide to come to firestorm, then im up for it, if its successful maybe make it fortnightly ?

Ideally we'll have 'local' gaming on one night a week for 3 weeks of the month and (hopefully) go to Cardiff for a full squadron meet on a Thursday evening 1 week in the month as rob has late night gaming in a Thursday. Hopefully the Cardiff based pilots will be able to sort out something similar and meet up with the pilots form the valleys on that monthly thursday so we should have plenty of squadron members gaming on that day

grizzly

I'd like to join in on Wednesdays but work kills that for me

Definitely up for the monthly meets though. Let me know when you plan on the first meet so I can sort out the time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    I'm a bit jeleaous you have manged to get together a whole sqd in Wales, have a good time.
    I will see some of you at the tournament in January I expect.
    Don
    I checked the list Burt.
    The nearest listed pilots to you are:- Somerset.Brasidas, Etts. Schwerpunkt.
    Devon. Big man, Oddball.
    Avon. David Manley. Filton Flyer and Bony 10 .
    They may not all be active as I have outstanding wingman requests for four of them, but you could try a p.m. to them and see.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Definitely up for the monthly meets though. Let me know when you plan on the first meet so I can sort out the time off.
    Am planning to use the 23rd for our first monthly meet at robs

Users Country Flag

Name
    Scott Edwards
    Sorties Flown

What time at Firestorm on the 23th?

Scott

On the 23rd there'll be demo games during the day and we'll have our squadron muster that evening - what time suits the welsh flyers on the forum?

Hi Shaun, I'm happy to go with the flow on this one and fit in around what ever plan we come up with.

Cheers Aled

I have nothing planned as yet cap, so can be there anytime for a few hours.

TB

Shaun,

Would it be worth us thinking about some Saturday/Sunday days also. I know Grizzly has problems with evenings due to work and I'm sure others will have issues due to work, family or other real life matters.

In my case I like Sat/Sun games but have to plan them to avoid any thing my wife has pre-booked for me and James and to make sure I can make Cardiff City home games. It may also make it easier for some of the South West lads to join us such as Boney 10

Could be something we talk about on the 23rd.

Cheers, Aled

Users Country Flag

Name
    Scott Edwards
    Sorties Flown

I just noticed on the website that the shop shuts at 6pm. will it be staying open late for this event?

Rob was on about having a drink or food afterwards, not sure if he ment around Cardiff or at Firestorm. I'll ask him when I see him Tuesday and let you know.

Cheers,

Aled

What time you there Tues Aled?

I was thinking of taking my daughter along on Tuesdays as she's loves wow

But i will have to leave by 7pm

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What time you there Tues Aled?

I was thinking of taking my daughter along on Tuesdays as she's loves wow

But i will have to leave by 7pm
    Hi Jon,

I'll be there from 2 30 pm at the latest painting my dacians and would be glad of any reason to put them back in Rob's office to dry while I play WoW. I have to leave just after 7 pm also. Jones the Dice may be down depending on work and real life issues.

Hope to see you Tuesday, Aled

I'll be there from 2 30 pm at the latest painting my dacians and would be glad of any reason to put them back in Rob's office to dry while I play WoW. I have to leave just after 7 pm also
    I can't get down to firestorm this week but if I give Rob a call, will you be able to pick up 2 planes he's put aside for me? I'll be able to get them from you on wednesday evening if thats alright?

In between games we'll also get a chance to chat with scotty as well about getting that room for gaming, weekend games in cardiff and how we're going to get some games against the barbarians over the Severn Bridge. Looks like we've got a bit of an agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Khargor View Post
    I can't get down to firestorm this week but if I give Rob a call, will you be able to pick up 2 planes he's put aside for me? I'll be able to get them from you on wednesday evening if thats alright?

In between games we'll also get a chance to chat with scotty as well about getting that room for gaming, weekend games in cardiff and how we're going to get some games against the barbarians over the Severn Bridge. Looks like we've got a bit of an agenda
    Hi Shaun,

No problem picking up the planes from Rob, looking forward to Wednesday.

Cheers,

Aled

Ta!

Scotty fancies playing a Gotha, what do you reckon we team up against it and bring it down in flames on wednesday evening?

Quote Originally Posted by Khargor View Post
    Ta!

Scotty fancies playing a Gotha, what do you reckon we team up against it and bring it down in flames on wednesday evening?
    Sounds like a battle plan to me, I'd better re-read Flight of the Giants. Cheers Aled

Users Country Flag

Name
    Scott Edwards
    Sorties Flown

sounds like i'm in for a shoe-ing

where too this Wednesday? would be good to get some flying time in.

Cheers

TB

Its at my house in Mountain Ash - want to join in?

(Maybe we should be making these arrangements in the GB flight area rather than the main forum?)

Hi Shaun,
    Planes/Paint collected from Rob.
    Cheers Aled

Well Mountain Ash is not too far from where i live about 15 miles (30mins) by car. So could make it for an hour or so. Normally have archery on a Wednesday so could not normally make it for this day of the week, but its not on this week so good timing.

Cheers

TB

See you at Shaun's later today then Dave. Cheers Aled

Well never been to his house yet lol, so if you see a car roaming around for 2 hours then drive off you know its me.

Will have to check with the misses first, just to be on the safe side.

just so happens i have the 3 planes i do own in the car........

Kind regards

TB

Great minds think alike, I leave a couple of planes in the car just in case I get the chance to call into Firestorm on the way home for a game.

Worked a treat yesterday. Jones the Dice and I both got away from our respective jobs early and started playing about 4 30 and stayed till 8 30.

If you ever get the chance I normally get to Firestorm for a couple of hours on a Tuesday as I normally have to be in Cardiff with work and the boys visit the in-laws with their mum so I have a pass to stay out until around 8 30.

I'll pm you my mobile number incase you get the required pass and need to be 'talked down' while looking for shaun's house later.

Cheers, Aled

Sorry i didn't make it yesterday Aled, personal things got in the way

Glad you had a game though

Would love to get up to Mountain Ash, but car less at the moment, and too far to walk

Sorry i didn't make it yesterday Aled, personal things got in the way

Glad you had a game though

Would love to get up to Mountain Ash, but car less at the moment, and too far to walk
    Don't worry, hope everything is ok. Will you be down the club on Thursday, hope to see you there if you are?

Cheers Aled

Plus another thing i don't think i could turn up at someone's house without being invited by them personally lol.... just seems wrong somehow (personal experience of friends inviting other friends to mine without asking me !!!).

Wife has said should be okay until 8 ish.

Cheers

TB

Hi TB,
    I've texted Shaun to ask him to read your post as I'm not sure what time he finishes teaching.

Is it ok for me to pass your number on to Shaun?

Cheers,

Aled

yeah should be fine, just no cold calling at 3pm every day lol.

TB

Hi David, I've texted him your number. Hope to see you later in sunny Mountain Ash. Cheers Aled

Cheers Aled

Don't have sat nav or internet on my phone (old thing) so would find it difficult as soon as i leave work for directions.

Many thanks

TB

I'll pm you the message with the address in.

Cheers,

Aled

With January's game in mind I think there is far to much practice going on here still hoping to come down to shop on the 23rd to check out the demo as im still a newb compared to veteran flyers.
    all the best
    nick

Don't worry Nick, we just pretending to practice to some of the flyers in Time of Aces are still working out how to open the box to get their plane out. Let us know when you find out if you can make the 23rd.

Cheers,

Aled

Yeah im all cool

200% at the club Thursday im all up for WOW now

well until the 6th Nov that is lol

Yeah im all cool

200% at the club Thursday im all up for WOW now

well until the 6th Nov that is lol
    Glad to read your ok, I hope to get a pass for club night from the wife.

Cheers Aled