Ares Games

Thread: Rules clarification

Default Rules clarification

Guys, I am adding some more features to the solo software(see thread in the Dutch wings). I've decided I want to incorporate all the rules into it, while Blackronin is helping to add the other aircraft decks. The problem is, I barely have any experience with the game. So I need some help on the rules:

I've read the Wings of War: Fire From the Skies manual front to back, what is different in the WoG rulebook? And in the additional rule sets?

Multi engine aircraft. they have 2 engines, it doesn't make sense to me that their engines are as easily destroyed as those from single engine aircraft. Can anyone please clarify?

Multi crew aircraft. I've read the rules for aircraft that have a pilot + gunner. What about larger crews like the B17 or pretty much any multi engine bomber. How do the rules apply to this situation? How is determined which crew member is hit?

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated!

Multi engined planes take a damage marker for each hit which will indicate 1 or 2 hits on that engine. 2 hits take out 1 engine.

For planes with 2+ crew there are markers for each position with corresponding positions on the damage control card.. You draw a marker and that indicates which position is hit.

Only difference between Fire in the Skies, Dawn of War and the new R.A.P. rules I believe is altitude for dropping bombs. Used to be 1 now minimum is 2 I believe.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Multi engined planes take a damage marker for each hit which will indicate 1 or 2 hits on that engine. 2 hits take out 1 engine.

For planes with 2+ crew there are markers for each position with corresponding positions on the damage control card.. You draw a marker and that indicates which position is hit.

Only difference between Fire in the Skies, Dawn of War and the new R.A.P. rules I believe is altitude for dropping bombs. Used to be 1 now minimum is 2 I believe.
    Thank you Skafloc for your answer. I am coding this into my software so I need it in extreme detail.

For the engines, the B17 for example will have 8 engine hitpoints? How is determined which engine gets hit? So, after 1 engine hit the aircraft will stick to the engine damaged procedures. Does this also mean a B17 flies the same with 3 engines down and the 4th damaged as it would with 3 fully operational engines and 1 damaged?

For the crews. It requires 2 crew hits for a pilot to be killed (along with his aircraft since no one is flying it anymore unless there is a very ambitious gunner onboard). How much hitpoints does each crewmember have? Is it correct that they only have 1 hitpoint. Further, how does drawing a marker work to decide which crewmember gets hit?

If you could just clarify on those points I can incorporate it in the next release of the software.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Sorry, that's wrong.

Multi engine planes pick one engine damage counter randomly.

This token shows 1 or 2 hit(s).

Each engine can only take one hit.

The moment a multi engined plane has a number of engine hits equal to the number of engines, it can only fly slow maneuvers.

The next hit kills the plane.

So a B17 with 4 engines can swallow 4 engine hits. The 4th engine hit reduces the plane to slow speed only. The fifth engine hit destroys the plane.

I would recomment the New Rules and Accessoire Pack for your project. The Fire in the Sky Expansion has no rules for mulit engined planes.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 10-04-2015 at 00:13.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thanks for the explanation! I'm getting right on it to change it in the software.
    Tell me, those tokens for 1 or 2 damage. Are they 50/50 or is it like 10 tokens for 1 damage and 5 for 2 damage?

I have to check this, but as far as I know there are max. 10 tokens with 50% 1 & 50% 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I have to check this, but as far as I know there are max. 10 tokens with 50% 1 & 50% 2.
    Cool, then right now I am not that far off. If you let me know later on what the ratio is then I can get the chances right in the software!

Ok, in the RAP it's 50% to 50 % and 6 engine damage tokens at all. (3x1 & 3x2)

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation! Next update will feature the correct dmg system

Daan, the B-17 had a co-pilot so it could continue, if the pilot was killed. A Lancaster did not have a co-pilot but the flight engineer could hold it 'straight and level' to give the crew time to bail out.

Flying an aircraft as big as a lanc without a cojo. That takes some balls.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by DGH View Post
    Flying an aircraft as big as a lanc without a cojo. That takes some balls.
    Unfamiliar with Cojo? Though having actually been a Pilot in Command in my time I must have been one myself

I agree with you though. Also bear in mind that there were no power assisted controls in the Lancaster - control inputs made with the column were linked straight to the flight control surfaces via cables and pulleys. It would feel very like driving a large automobile with no power assisted steering ...

Awesome, guess why the men flying back then were called the golden generation

Unfortunately a lot of Lancaster piltos didn't make it back.

Many of them were in the rank of a sergeant, similar to the Luftwaffe that offered low ranks & non-commissioned the chance to become a pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by DGH View Post

Multi crew aircraft. I've read the rules for aircraft that have a pilot + gunner. What about larger crews like the B17 or pretty much any multi engine bomber. How do the rules apply to this situation? How is determined which crew member is hit?

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated!
    I just ignored the secon part of your question.

There are different ways to dermine crew hits:

One option is to draw a number of crew hit tokens. Those tokes are red and labeld with Roman numbers. he rear side of each token shows an injured crew memeber.

So if you have a Bf.110 with a pilot and a gunner you take two tokens with a I and a II and pick up one randomly. I is a pilot hit - II is a gunner hit.

For bigger planes like the He.111 or the B-17, all crew members have numbers shown on the plane (crew management) card.

A B-17 played with altitude rules has 10 crew members, so you have 10 red crew damage tokens and pick one randomly.

Another option is the "optional crew damage".

Before determining the position of the injured crew member you have to choose a set of crew damage tokens.

You have a green set for planes with 1 - 3 crew members and a yello set for 4+ crew members.

A look on the plane card shows you how much crew your plane has.

So for a dambuster Lancaster you'll tke the grenn set, because this lanc has 3 crew members (Pilot/Front Gunner/Rear Gunner).

Green set has 3 tokens. One of it shows two injured crew members, the other two tokens show only one injured crew member.

You randomly pick one, look how many crew members are hit and determine then with the red token which crew member is hit.

Same goes for the 4+ crews. You have a set of 6 yellow tokens. 3 of them have one injured crew member, two of them have two injured crew members and one token shows three injured crew members.

Here is an example.

B-17 got a crew hit with 5 damage points.
    Picked up yellow crew damage token shows one crew hit.
    One picked up red crew damage token shows that number IX (9) is hit.
    The injured/killed gunner is marked on the plane card with a grey token.

Another picture with a damaged B-25

This one has a 4+ crew.
    2 gunners a injured/killed (grey tokens on them)
    The medium bomber has a 1 engine damage, too (blue engine damage token on the plane card).

Last edited by Marechallannes; 10-21-2015 at 07:24.

Thank you for the elaborate explanation! The graphic aids are certainly usefull

Similar Missions

1. Rudder Jams Clarification - FA/WYB Rules vs. BD
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 11:53
  2. Immelmann Clarification
    By Big Al in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 02:52
  3. Pilot hit rule clarification
    By ff151 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 17