Ares Games
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Doncaster 2016. October 1st and 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    At least one game fewer than that, for me.........................

<<no sails>>
    Minimalist

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

MOST DEFINITELY want more sails games - although will need a Hazchem suit I'f I'm sitting next to Dave 'The Flu' Manley again

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Sadly Dave has informed us that he cannot attend...Ahhhh.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    MOST DEFINITELY want more sails games - although will need a Hazchem suit I'f I'm sitting next to Dave 'The Flu' Manley again
    See you on the Dark Side......

At least it is real Manley flu we had and not just man flu Chris.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Perhaps someone else could take on the job of infecting the gathered host ? Any volunteers

Something new and exciting with a nautical theme perhaps. Scurvy, a spot of Dysentery or better still Cholera .

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Perhaps someone else could take on the job of infecting the gathered host ? Any volunteers

Something new and exciting with a nautical theme perhaps. Scurvy, a spot of Dysentery or better still Cholera .
    Don't tempt the Gods Paul!
    Rob.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Try seasickness

Easy to evoke as it's motion sickness / disturbance of the inner ear and therefore easy to dispense with before the games start

JUST SO LONG AS the right sleeping quarters are targeted and not Johnbiggles' or CodEyes' caravans!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

More Sails !!!
    +1 missed out on the chance to play last time although I am not drinking alcohol during the game. I noticed the Sails game was the first one with the beers out at the 2015 event ...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    +1 missed out on the chance to play last time although I am not drinking alcohol during the game. I noticed the Sails game was the first one with the beers out at the 2015 event ...
    I had stocked the fridge and seeing as it was at least 10:30am it was adjudged to be 'Beer O'Clock'

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

It was when Marion (Mazzle) said to me that it was supposed to be a gaming weekend not a stag do that I first began to worry about 'Beer O'Clock' being during Duty Hours. I mean ... fair enough people enjoy a drink or two.

Karma was obviously listening to my silent observations on the Saturday when during the first game we played I pointed at the prize table and said to Marion that one of those two Lancaster Bombers on there had our names written on it. Later that same day the Second Prize one went to me and we had to leave before the Ace of Aces game began with an aircraft to get home without the loss of a single propeller blade. I do like my Cobra Beer I have to admit in sensible quantities but I would just never try and drink & play. Sounds too much like a bunch of coming home with all of their propeller blades lost collectively!

Just to let you all know, the Doncaster 2016 pin badge will be the same design but with a Red Scroll with Doncaster 2016 on it.
    So plenty of time to decide if you want one or not. The cost is dependant on numbers so once I get finalised numbers I can give a price.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Just to let you all know, the Doncaster 2016 pin badge will be the same design but with a Red Scroll with Doncaster 2016 on it.
    So plenty of time to decide if you want one or not. The cost is dependant on numbers so once I get finalised numbers I can give a price.
    Yes please x 2 ... Can hardly play Doncaster 2016 and not come away with the official badge can we?

One for me as well, please!
    I've already booked the time off with work.

Or for all the re enactors in the group a touch of Scrofula?

one for me pleas Chris

It was when Marion (Mazzle) said to me that it was supposed to be a gaming weekend not a stag do that I first began to worry about 'Beer O'Clock' being during Duty Hours. I mean ... fair enough people enjoy a drink or two.

Karma was obviously listening to my silent observations on the Saturday when during the first game we played I pointed at the prize table and said to Marion that one of those two Lancaster Bombers on there had our names written on it. Later that same day the Second Prize one went to me and we had to leave before the Ace of Aces game began with an aircraft to get home without the loss of a single propeller blade. I do like my Cobra Beer I have to admit in sensible quantities but I would just never try and drink & play. Sounds too much like a bunch of coming home with all of their propeller blades lost collectively!
    Blimey - things would have been more 'beery' if Ringbolt had rocked up with his 72 pint barrel/firkin of ale as was in the original plan.
    Think we are all grown up enough not to get hammered and trash the place but a few beers with good friends seems a most pleasurable way of passing the time...
    Just a thought if you have lots of beer whilst wargaming - especially a WW2 armoured clash - does that make it a Stug Night?

We will have access to the kitchen area again next year so plenty of tea and coffee on tap for those who prefer there refreshments slightly less hops based.... and plenty of room in the fridge for those that do..

Cheers - roll on 2016 !!!!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

+1 Nicely Said Sir - looking forward to it already as no doubt we all are.

????? Should be Cheers - Stottie on 2016, I don't do rolls!

One for me please
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Two again for me please.

It was when Marion (Mazzle) said to me that it was supposed to be a gaming weekend not a stag do
    Well, that was un-called-for.

A badge for me please Chris. Plane tickets booked.

Blimey - things would have been more 'beery' if Ringbolt had rocked up with his 72 pint barrel/firkin of ale as was in the original plan.
    Think we are all grown up enough not to get hammered and trash the place but a few beers with good friends seems a most pleasurable way of passing the time...
    Just a thought if you have lots of beer whilst wargaming - especially a WW2 armoured clash - does that make it a Stug Night?

We will have access to the kitchen area again next year so plenty of tea and coffee on tap for those who prefer there refreshments slightly less hops based.... and plenty of room in the fridge for those that do..

Tot time for the Matlows me thinks.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Well, that was un-called-for.
    Marion was still getting used to the drinking idea being perfectly safe #LforLearner

One badge for me please.

+1 Nicely Said Sir - looking forward to it already as no doubt we all are.
    For those of us in far flung lands , well Brittany , it is highlighted on the calendar of must attend events .

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Flagship Event for the Aerodrome IMHO - It's great to be a part of it

(PS - apologies for use of term Flagship I couldn't think of a better alternative ...)

(PS - apologies for use of term Flagship I couldn't think of a better alternative ...)
    Airship event?

Two badges for me please Chris.
    Rob.

multiple badges for my lot as usual Chris.

Regarding the demon drink, as a good Methodist I can only abhor the dreadful consumption of intoxicating liquors during play.....good thing I'm not that good a Methodist.
    Now then, where did I put that bottle opener.

I quite like it when my opponents have a drink or two during a game, dulls their reflexes, cliuds their judgement and makes them ripe for the kill

Of course it can be taken to extremes. I remember one of our Traveller RPG sessions where anew player downed the best part of a bottle of cheap whiskey, then decided he'd had enough, ran out of the building, deposited said whiskey in the street, ran home but actually ran straight into a lamp post. It took the best part of 2 hours to actually get him home safe and sound.

Of course in the interim we killed his character

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I quite like it when my opponents have a drink or two during a game, dulls their reflexes, cliuds their judgement and makes them ripe for the kill

Of course it can be taken to extremes. I remember one of our Traveller RPG sessions where anew player downed the best part of a bottle of cheap whiskey, then decided he'd had enough, ran out of the building, deposited said whiskey in the street, ran home but actually ran straight into a lamp post. It took the best part of 2 hours to actually get him home safe and sound.

Of course in the interim we killed his character
    Ah! Now there's a blast from the past. I've still got all those Traveller Rule Books somewhere up in the loft. Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Ah! Now there's a blast from the past. I've still got all those Traveller Rule Books somewhere up in the loft. Happy days!
    Aaah Traveller the only game where after two hours of creating a really in depth character you could have them killed off in the final stages of character generation - genius, lol

Tot time for the Matlows me thinks.
    That's not a bad idea Paul - I like the cut of you jib sir - make it really authentic and drink neat rum out of tin mugs, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Two badges for me please Chris.
    Rob.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two-young-badgers.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	178870
    Not quite what I said but it will do until next year.
    Rob.

If you want I can put together a little package next time I'm at Porton Down and send it along with Chris to open when he gets there

Default 2016 Pin badge4

One for me please Chris.
    Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I even have some of the figures in the original box, and a boxed copy of Snapshot, seems like yesterday.

I got the skirmish game can't remember what it was called but lost one of the rule books! (Started with an S, I think)

That's not a bad idea Paul - I like the cut of you jib sir - make it really authentic and drink neat rum out of tin mugs, lol
    Pussers or Woods Navy 100 of course. When we lived in Plymouth there was a pub next to the Navy dockyard that was run by a retired CPO . He kept to the Navy tot times and all the rum was half price for 30mins. Happy fuzzy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I got the skirmish game can't remember what it was called but lost one of the rule books! (Started with an S, I think)
    Could be Snapshot?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two-young-badgers.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	178870
    Not quite what I said but it will do until next year.
    Rob.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7txPU6efos

Nope. Got it. It was Striker

Could be Snapshot?

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Gunship Event.

Ever seen the video to their song Fly For Your Life?

I think I've got at least one copy of everything GDW did for the "LBB" edition of Traveller including AHL and two copies of 5FW

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyben View Post
    Ever seen the video to their song Fly For Your Life?
    Yes and it's derived from a cartoon called Paths of Hate. Both are on Youtube and feature an animated dogfight between a WW2 Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb and a Messerschmitt Bf.109E.

Could be ! Thats what NUFC need anyway

What do Sunderland need...a team? Oh sorry you're using some of our hasbeens....

At least they have been there

Ye want them back ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Pražský Con 2016
    By Dan-Sam in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 8