Ares Games

Thread: What do you use for playing WoW on?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Default What do you use for playing WoW on?

Here in Tucson we have a bulk fabric store where you can get some good deals on just about any kind of fabric that you could think of.
    Whilst there the other day, I saw that they had rolls of 54" wide fabric backed vinyl in various colours.
    One of which was an "Earthy Green" with some browns mixed in.
    My first thought was "Play mat for WoW!!!" Also there was a couple rolls of medium Blue vinyl.
    Since I play A&A WaS (War at Sea) as well, I got 48" of that.
    The Price??? $3.99 per Yard! everywhere else the same or similar material will set you back anywhere from $9.99 to $15.00 per Yard! OUCH!.

I just finished drawing in all the Squares for the WaS mat. So now we can have some really big naval battles.

Next I'm going to get 2 Yards of the Green/Brown vinyl to use for my WoW games. In fact, I may get two 2 yard panels and on one draw in road works, trench lines and Towns on it. Maybe even a River. and on the other Farm fields and maybe an Aerodrome!! Heh heh heh heh!!!

I found that Sharpie makes a multi-colour pack of permanent markers, so guess what will be on the purchase agenda next week!!!

Um... Would you mind letting me in on your secret fabric store...

I want to put together another folding table top that we can use at the store, and hopefully in time to use at the convention this weekend.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

James, since we cannot plug other places I'll email it to you in Yahooooooooo!

Did the same thing for my WoW and Battletech games, but used regular fabric that had a mottled tan/green pattern and a pale blue one. Had a lady at our church put a seam on the edges and they work very well. Gonna have to find that vinyl for W@S.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    James, since we cannot plug other places I'll email it to you in Yahooooooooo!
    Linking or giving info to non gaming stores is okay here on the site. Just not stores that will compete directly with the sponsors.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse47 View Post
    Did the same thing for my WoW and Battletech games, but used regular fabric that had a mottled tan/green pattern and a pale blue one. Had a lady at our church put a seam on the edges and they work very well. Gonna have to find that vinyl for W@S.
    The place we have here is called SAS Fabric by the pound.
    Not quite accurate but they are really cheep!

O.k. let see some photos smile for the camera.

Here in Tucson we have a bulk fabric store where you can get some good deals on just about any kind of fabric that you could think of.
    Whilst there the other day, I saw that they had rolls of 54" wide fabric backed vinyl in various colours.
    One of which was an "Earthy Green" with some browns mixed in.
    My first thought was "Play mat for WoW!!!" Also there was a couple rolls of medium Blue vinyl.
    Since I play A&A WaS (War at Sea) as well, I got 48" of that.
    The Price??? $3.99 per Yard! everywhere else the same or similar material will set you back anywhere from $9.99 to $15.00 per Yard! OUCH!.

I just finished drawing in all the Squares for the WaS mat. So now we can have some really big naval battles.

Next I'm going to get 2 Yards of the Green/Brown vinyl to use for my WoW games. In fact, I may get two 2 yard panels and on one draw in road works, trench lines and Towns on it. Maybe even a River. and on the other Farm fields and maybe an Aerodrome!! Heh heh heh heh!!!

I found that Sharpie makes a multi-colour pack of permanent markers, so guess what will be on the purchase agenda next week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    This is what we use:
    That's it then. Thank you for killing the thread. No one can compete with that.

Yep, too true Esa!

I am saving up for one of those mats -- they are the best looking by far, IMO. Brian, I don't recall what you said, did you mount it or do you just roll it out on the table top?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    This is what we use:

That is WAAAY KOOOL!! What medium is that on?

O.K. Brian your always out doing me. Nice photos though.

Here's mine.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    O.K. Brian your always out doing me. Nice photos though.

Here's mine.

Love the card tray too. Kool mat...

Brian,
    For the newbies, pahaps you could just run over where you got your playing mat again.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That's very, very nice Brian - I have to make do with a vinyl table protector (much to managements disgust). My playing buddy took one look, flipped it over to the white(ish) soft side and said "cloud base". Works a treat & we use target cards for any ground attack work.

Goodness me makes my WoW mats a bit clean and trenchless. So yes please Brian where how did you perloin that playing surface, go on pretty please !

Love the card tray too. Kool mat...

The card tray comes form the game. I just cut it in half to use for holding the damage decks. Good idea aye.

For WW2 I use a sea scape mat, I don't remember who produced it. Then I took some of the thin foam that kids use in craft projects to cut out some islands in brown, and then some green foam to make the 'trees'.

It's a really thin material, I doubt if it's even an 1/8" thick, so cards lay over it really well. Plus, it lets you custom make things like Midway, Iwo Jima, and various Atols very easy with a pair of sissors and a quick look on the internet.

No pictures though, sorry.

We use a beige felt that we draw on as we need it. We've several, on of a town, another of a lenght of trenches, a third of a river valley, and the fourth of a train yard. It makes a nice surface to play on. Steve took pictures of it and you can see it in some of the Pictures he took at Hurricon.

We use something completely different. I decided to buy a WWI original trench map of the Ypres area and start flying around. some pictures can be seen in my profile. I like the look when we are playing the game.

Similar Missions

1. WoW vs WoW:Doww2
    By BD Ford in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 08:39
  2. Playing Surface materials
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 21:33
  3. Playing without buying a box?
    By Seiseki in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 15