Ares Games

Thread: Need photos of flak

Default Need photos of flak

If anyone has any photos of flak burst, preferably with planes in the photo as well, I could really us them. I'm trying to gauge the relative size of the burst.

Thanks,

The Col.

http://www.thehewitt.net/jpeg/flack.jpg

Its a WW2 Plane but i'm sure it will be fine.

TB

Do you mean photos like this?

http://www.b17warhorse.fws1.com/photo.html
    Last edited by Attila57; 10-04-2010 at 10:40.

Was looking more for WWI images, but WWII would work as well.

IRM, I found that one on a quick Google search as well.

Thought you might have, but it's the only real-world pic I recall coming across that would be of any use.

Here's the full image.

Sorry for my first post but photo exists!

Look at these about WWII:

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/findingaids...ilson_alan.htm
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../1008787/posts

Last edited by Attila57; 10-04-2010 at 11:53.

Difficult to judge size without knowing how far away those bursts are but if you make three different sized ones you could cover all options - to me the biggest looks to be about the size of the tail of the Fortress or for ww1 about half the wingspan of those planes -

From my personal observations, from the ground flak bursts appear as small grey specks of cotten wool, if you are looking in the right spot at the right time you may also see for about .5 of a second a small flash/explosion imediatly engulfed by the grey speck. How accuratee my observations are has got to be taken in contex in the fact that I am speaking from my the memories of an 11 year old child during the Nigerian civil war.

Here's an odd flak fact from "Fighting the Flying Circus" by Eddie Rickerbacker:

"As we neared the vicinity of our unsuspicious prey I noticed a German Archy shell break, not near me but in close proximity to their own machine. The Hun shells emit a black smoke upon bursting, which distinguishes them from the Allies' shells, which show a white smoke. Instantly the two-seater Albatros turned and dived for Germany.

A moment later three more German shells burst ahead of the retreating two-seater. And these three bursts were at about our present altitude. It seemed to be a previously arranged method of conversation which the gunners below were carrying on with the aeroplane high above them. They were telling the Albatros that our three fast fighting machines were approaching from the east, and they indicated by the smoke-bursts the precise altitude at which we were flying."

Thanks guys. Here is what I'm working on:

My initial thoughts are that my flak marker is to big. Maybe I should make the smoke parts not as tall???

Thoughts anyone?

It looks pretty good to me as is.

Would you use it with the Burning Drachens anti-aircraft rules? Is the central disk the same size as an artillery counter? Or do you use some other rules for it?

No, it is not the same size as the artillery counter from BD. My group has found flak to be almost worthless via the rules as written.

I was going to come up with my own set of rules for it. Basically use the firing rules from BD, except you would place three of these Flak Makers for each shot fired (flak was never just one burst!). Any plane with it's base touching the base of the Flak Marker takes a hit per the written rules. I included the altitude ring on the base to allow for an optional rule of having the firing player determine what altitude the flak would burst at.

I'm open to all thoughts and ideas on a good rule set for this. Once I have it nailed down, the Wings of War Aerodrome Approved Rules will be printed and included with each order.

I think the shape is fine Col. I think a bit smaller all round say about 5% should do it.
    The main problem with the ones I have is that they look too big for the aircraft near them when viewed from the players perspective at the table edge.Otherwise great work. I can't wait to get my hands on them.
    Rob,
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That looks good. I'd say the height of the smoke was ok but the overall width may be too much. Try slotting the smoke & flame so that you can push it closer to the peg before you try reshaping or reducing - that may give it a tighter look.
    Nice work mon Colonel.

Aesthetically, it looks good. I'm concerned about size, however. From the look of it, the Flak markers from the game are appreciably smaller- so this is much deadlier, or cannot be used "off the shelf" without some additional rules.
    best regards
    Aris K.

From a wargaming point of view it looks very good and I am sure it will do the job. Further more if you make them I will buy them!

Don without meaning to be critical of your research, but I have read some where that the picture you presented was a combination of three (or more) pictures put together for propoganda in the news papers.

It looks really good I wish to know your rules.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Don without meaning to be critical of your research, but I have read some where that the picture you presented was a combination of three (or more) pictures put together for propoganda in the news papers.
    Research? Just posted the complete image of an image that was posted earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Thanks guys. Here is what I'm working on:

My initial thoughts are that my flak marker is to big. Maybe I should make the smoke parts not as tall???

Thoughts anyone?
    My opinion: cooooolll...

From a visual stand point, I like the size. Whether or not it "hits" the marker is visually appealing -- and scary, adding a bit of excitement even if it misses.

Nice work Colonel; I'll buy several (gotta protect my balloons!)

Cheers!

Similar Missions

1. Want to see the Recce photos?
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 07:17
  2. 45 Squadron Camel Photos...?
    By Dom S in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 07:54
  3. PHOTOS OF SERIES IV PLANES
    By usmc1855 in forum Hobby Room