Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: >> FAQs & Points of Interest <<+>>Ace Skills & Optional Rules<<

With minor juggling I've separated the FAQs & Points of Interest from the Ace Skills & Optional Rules which now appear in post #2 of this thread.

"He is wise who watches"

Does make for less to wade through if any given person is looking for one particular question over the others.

Wonder if it's possible to put them in the files section for downloading (if they aren't there already)?

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    ..Wonder if it's possible to put them in the files section for downloading (if they aren't there already)?
    The WW1 WoG Ace Abilities and Optional Rules I compiled in the thread have always been available in the files Sam and linked more than once in this thread.
    I won't be creating a FAQ sheet.

"He is wise who watches"

I'm struggling with the definition of "Ace" as opposed to "Pilot"

Is "Ace" the player? or the particular crew member?

It matters in the following example,

A Staaken where every gunner is given Sniper which has 4 recovery tokens. A Super Ace pairs very well with this to bring it down to 2 tokens. So do you put the Super Ace cost on each crewmember, or once on the whole plane?

I feel like it should be on each crew member, but there are rules that make it sound like the "ace" is the player controlling that specific plane, regardless of the amount of crew on board.

Also, is Strong Constitution played as per normal on multi engine bombers?

Ie, you draw a crew damage token, draw chits to see how many crew got hit, then draw chits to see who it was, if you have Strong Constitution the first wounded crew member you draw avoid the hit, the next if required take the damage as per usual?

Next question, can you have multiple Strong Constitution abilities on board? My instinct is that this is thematically sound.

Strong Constitution:
    This ace ignores the effects of the first crewman hit special damage on himself.
    If the ace takes a second wound, and he is the pilot, he is incapacitated and the aircraft is eliminated.
    If he is the observer, or, other crewman, he is incapacitated by the second wound and can no longer fire his machine gun.
    (standard rules) (RAP)
    Last edited by Xen; 04-21-2019 at 06:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    A Staaken where every gunner is given Sniper which has 4 recovery tokens. A Super Ace pairs very well with this to bring it down to 2 tokens. So do you put the Super Ace cost on each crewmember, or once on the whole plane?
    I feel like it should be on each crew member, but there are rules that make it sound like the "ace" is the player controlling that specific plane, regardless of the amount of crew on board.
    Well the application of skills has broadened over the years from a handful applicable to the famous aces in the WoW days to the application of various skills to the pilots/observers/gunners and crewmen of various machines - the 'skill' applies to the crewman involved not the player, though some of the newer options do apply to the plane the ace is in if he is not incapacitated.

Also, is Strong Constitution played as per normal on multi engine bombers?
    Ie, you draw a crew damage token, draw chits to see how many crew got hit, then draw chits to see who it was, if you have Strong Constitution the first wounded crew member you draw avoid the hit, the next if required take the damage as per usual?
    In this case Strong Constitution would apply to a particular gunner so if he's hit then he ignores the consequences of the first wound.

Next question, can you have multiple Strong Constitution abilities on board? My instinct is that this is thematically sound....
    That should be possible, though the chances of having multiple 'aces' aboard one aircraft should be considered. A game(r) that includes a Staaken where every gunner is given Sniper, Super Ace, Strong Constitution is one to be avoided !

"He is wise who watches"

Evan,
    Ace skills are always a specific crew member on a plane, never the player. On a multi-crewed plane, skills are applied to specific crew members, not a group. It should be stated at the beginning of a game which crew member has what skill(s). If muliple crew members have multiple skills, the points values should be added to the value of the plane, if you are keeping track.

Yes, in a recent Con, a pilot had Daredevil, and the observer had Strong Constitution. Nothing prevents using a skill muliple times, except your opponent.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

That should be possible, though the chances of having multiple 'aces' aboard one aircraft should be considered. A game(r) that includes a Staaken where every gunner is given Sniper, Super Ace, Strong Constitution is one to be avoided !
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Under what conditions would a plane have a crew that experienced? Each crew member would had to have shot down up to fifteen planes, each! Gack!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks guys.

Under what conditions would a plane have a crew that experienced? Each crew member would had to have shot down up to fifteen planes, each! Gack!
    A game(r) that includes a Staaken where every gunner is given Sniper, Super Ace, Strong Constitution is one to be avoided !

If you are playing tournament mode you can get very highly skilled aces due to a point limit being assigned that all players try to max out. Its a very small part of the local scene here in Victoria, but does get played once a year. So you could have a 300 point list, have a 250 point plane and load up the last 50 points as ace skills. You will probably lose to someone playing 2x 150 point planes though, as you will only have the hit points of a single plane, whereas your opponents non ace planes will have the hit points of 2. So it balances out pretty nicely and lets you try out some crazy combinations, knowing full well you are going to get it back in equal measure.

Its also par for the course for a lot of players coming from X wing and other competitive games. Can be a gateway to historical scenarios.

...If you are playing tournament mode you can get very highly skilled aces due to a point limit being assigned that all players try to max out... So you could have a 300 point list, have a 250 point plane and load up the last 50 points as ace skills..
    That's understood Xen but I'm one who tends to lose interest at the mention of points, balance and tournament; usually in that order.
    Still, good luck with it, hopefully we clarified the situation for you.

"He is wise who watches"

Dave I've not come across this FAQ before. You've done a sterling job there thanks, just need to find a little time to read it.

That's understood Xen but I'm one who tends to lose interest at the mention of points, balance and tournament; usually in that order.
    Still, good luck with it, hopefully we clarified the situation for you.
    I personally lose interest at the mention of tournament, then points, then balance.

The fact that you can 'legally' purchase a crew of six 15-kill crew members for a single plane is PLANE-ly ridiculous!

I do understand that some prefer it though, and I wouldn't want to prevent them doing so, but I won't be joining them.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Dave I've not come across this FAQ before. You've done a sterling job there thanks, just need to find a little time to read it.
    Thanks John, I hope it proves helpful in some way or other.

"He is wise who watches"

Sneak Attack ace skill added to combat skills - aka Ball Skill !

"He is wise who watches"

Series 4a ace skills etc being added as info comes in - marked in blue for now.

"He is wise who watches"

Can't wait for this to be updated. Thank you for doing this.

Series 4a reprint details added & marked, file doc updated to v5.

"He is wise who watches"

Series 4a reprint details added & marked, file doc updated to v5.
    Thanks, Dave. I downloaded v4 yesterday thinking it had the new ones but found I had jumped the gun. (Itchy Trigger Finger perhaps.)

I am especially thankful for the info on what cards came with which planes so I can pull them out and get them organized better than they currently are.

Glad it's of help and thanks for your input

"He is wise who watches"

Dave, this is awesome. I started looking at some of the recently released planes and read of various skill cards. This is such a great resource!
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Make it sticky. This one deserves it.
    Edit: er ... i see it is sticky - it should probably be moved or linked to the general WWI section.

Thanks Eric - just trying to keep the good stuff in somewhere easy to find

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Make it sticky. This one deserves it.
    Edit: er ... i see it is sticky - it should probably be moved or linked to the general WWI section.
    It's a FAQ about the rules Jan, so it's in the right place.

"He is wise who watches"

Well, the FAQ part surely is. The list of special cards and the list of aircraft linked with the special cards are not rules. It should be made sticky in the main section just like the overview of the released minis. I mean, it is up to you, just an idea ...
    Anyway, i am really thankful for it.

It's not a list of 'special cards' it's a list of abilities and optional rules intrinsically linked with the core rules hence it's in a sticky in the Rules Help section rather than in General Discussions. It seemed logical to add the list of aircraft linked to them in the same place rather than splitting the info between two locations & creating another sticky.

"He is wise who watches"

If I may interject here gentlemen. Keith is keen to keep both stickys and sub forums down to a minimum, so in this case, as I have usually found in the past, Dave is correct in his decision.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That was also a factor in the decision Rob but not general knowledge.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Just excellent! A lost of work has gone into this. A great post all round! Thank you.

Thanks Billy, I hope it's of some use to you.

"He is wise who watches"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. New Ace Skills & Optional Rules - Shout Out
    By flash in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-28-2023, 12:19
  2. Optional rules for specific planes
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 12-19-2015, 11:44
  3. Ace Skills , Points Costs etc?
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 00:43
  4. Newbie Optional Rules Question
    By Pope in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 15:47
  5. Dawn of War: What optional rules do you use?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 04:16