Ares Games
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WoG Solo System [Mobile & Desktop]

Quote Originally Posted by Oerjan View Post
    Hi,

These are probably stupid questions, but my phone claims that the solo rule PDF files are corrupt and refuse to open them so I can't check:

* Distance to target - measured in ruler lengths, or something else?

* If there are multiple enemies, which one is used for planning purposes - the one the automated kite is trying to kill, or the one(s) trying to kill it?

Regards,
    Oerjan
    The app is meant to be used with these rules:

Tyneside Wargames Club - Richard Bradley's original Solo Rules

The maneuver cards presented by the App are all derived from the above method, the differences are refinements of the maneuvers selected in those original rules. The Universal Diceless Solo Cards (UDSC) are here:
    Files: Solo Rules

This file contains the Rules for the UDSCs (I now note that we didn't reference the source rules from Richard Bradley. Our Bad):
    WWI Universal Diceless Solo Deck - Rules

Note the above cards are based on "ruler" distances (Closing less than One Ruler Distance, Closing more than One Rules Distance, Moving Away), similar to the original rules.

Within the rules above, it stats how to chose which enemy plane. Sometimes Pilot Skill Level (Ace, Veteran, Rookie) is taken into consideration. Which plane was being fired upon last is sometimes used.

You need to reference the specific rules you select to use the App.

PS: Consider picking up this, if you haven't already: Aerodrome Accessories.com - Game Aides - Solo Play Template.html
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-01-2015 at 09:47.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    I am no expert on things Android, so am simply presenting the information in case it is of any use. At first it seemed like there was no way of getting out of your app; however swiping the screen top or bottom will reveal the bars long enough to use them. I don't know why this one seems to behave differently to others - the top menu can be done without, but losing the bottom menu/illuminated buttons is unusual.
    Pretty interesting, I may know why it does behave like this. Recent Android phones no longer use buttons on the phone itself, as they have been integrated in the Android UI in a navigation bar, placed at the bottom of the screen when Portrait, and to the right when Landscape. In many apps, that bar is hidden in order to free some space on the screen. To get the bar on the screen again, you must swipe it in from the edge of the screen.

My app supports the most recent versions of Android, so I guess it tries to hide that bar when running; since your phone has physical buttons and no navigation bar, the app directly shuts the buttons down. An unwanted behavior in my app, though it kinda makes sense. When I tested on Samsung Galaxy S2+, physical buttons were always on, but I should be able to fix that anyways!

I am about to update the to-do list with a thing or two.
    Last edited by DanjelRicci; 09-01-2015 at 13:37.

Personally I favoured the RB solo rules where noes /tail /left /right were incorporated as part of the system for determining the cards.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Personally I favoured the RB solo rules where noes /tail /left /right were incorporated as part of the system for determining the cards.
    This is on the to-do list, marked as "Ace" Solo Rules by John Hatfield and Shaun Mather. :)
    I like to call them "Ace" because of the great behavior they generate. Unfortunately not near the top of the list due to them being available to six maneuver decks only.

PS: main post updated.

Quote Originally Posted by DanjelRicci View Post
    Pretty interesting, I may know why it does behave like this. Recent Android phones no longer use buttons on the phone itself, as they have been integrated in the Android UI in a navigation bar, placed at the bottom of the screen when Portrait, and to the right when Landscape. In many apps, that bar is hidden in order to free some space on the screen. To get the bar on the screen again, you must swipe it in from the edge of the screen.

My app supports the most recent versions of Android, so I guess it tries to hide that bar when running; since your phone has physical buttons and no navigation bar, the app directly shuts the buttons down. An unwanted behavior in my app, though it kinda makes sense. When I tested on Samsung Galaxy S2+, physical buttons were always on, but I should be able to fix that anyways!

I am about to update the to-do list with a thing or two.
    Hmmm ..... both my phone and tablet use the stylus thing that came with it as a means of selection and navigation. Maybe that is why I cannot get this program to work? Having said that I have no problems with X Plane 9 or Flight Unlimited Los Vegas, they both work very well with the stylus.

I tried app yesterday during our session. There were only two players (me and Kubajs) so we needed some opponents. I downloaded application, it run, we played. Everything worked perfect and it saved our gaming evening. Thank you for it, Danjel!

Can i use this app with my Kindle Fire?

using a Samsung S6 all seems to be working ok except I do not have the middle two buttons between the destroy and plan buttons

Quote Originally Posted by hawkhurst View Post
    using a Samsung S6 all seems to be working ok except I do not have the middle two buttons between the destroy and plan buttons
    Did you select one of the advanced rules options? If you chose the basic rules, that could be the reason.

Just updated everything to version 1.3.
    It's a very small release, I don't have much time these days to add main features. I will be abroad from 6 to 13 September, so I'll resume development after that date. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hmmm ..... both my phone and tablet use the stylus thing that came with it as a means of selection and navigation. Maybe that is why I cannot get this program to work? Having said that I have no problems with X Plane 9 or Flight Unlimited Los Vegas, they both work very well with the stylus.
    I don't really think it's because of the stylus. We have a Galaxy Note in office that we use as a test device, but apps always worked fine on that.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkhurst View Post
    As Prodromoi said, it's because you have chosen the Standard set of rules. I wrote that on the main page of the app, anyways... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Can i use this app with my Kindle Fire?
    Unfortunately I don't have an Amazon Developer account, so I can't yet publish on their store.

Looking forward to getting getting this and trying it out. A great idea.

I downloaded an HTML reader and got the old Maneovre Generator 3 working on this tablet this afternoon. That made me wonder if there might be an emulator for your development operating machine I could try. So exactly what did you use to run it on and what O/S please

I downloaded an HTML reader and got the old Maneovre Generator 3 working on this tablet this afternoon. That made me wonder if there might be an emulator for your development operating machine I could try. So exactly what did you use to run it on and what O/S please
    Last edited by Baxter; 09-06-2015 at 14:20.

Coul anybody link here the whole resources for the 3 solo systems?

I only found the richard one in here:

http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html

Thanks

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the app. I've downloaded it and will be giving it a full workout asap. You get the first rep I've given out congrats.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Just tried to download this for my Windows phone. When I went to open it all I see are the folders and files in the folders. I've added it to my android tablet and it shows up great. Tried taking a screen shot from my phone but it kept trying to restart my phone for me.

Hi Danjel, running this on Android on a Motorola E 2nd gen. Android 5.0.2
    Can't wait for more manoeuvre decks!
    I think additional decks with nominal plane type would be most useful to many of us, we will know what plane we have assigned to a position, pretty pictures are nice but non essential (to my mind at any rate).

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Hi Danjel,
    Can't wait for more manoeuvre decks!
    I think additional decks with nominal plane type would be most useful to many of us, we will know what plane we have assigned to a position, pretty pictures are nice but non essential ...
    And you could always add them later

Really looking forward to the day I can use this for the OTT Campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by michelecannone View Post
    Coul anybody link here the whole resources for the 3 solo systems?

I only found the richard one in here:

http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html

Thanks
    Here you go Michele - all the different charts are here in the files section

"He is wise who watches"

LOOP

No need for that!
    I'm just waiting that Apple approves the app, then it will be available on the AppStore too. We just have to wait 7-8 days.
    Any update from AppStore?

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Any update from AppStore?
    Unfortunately I have received nothing yet from Apple. At this point, I guess something went wrong with the verification. I haven't brought my pc with me so I will check everything on 14 Sept., the day I will come back home. Thanks!

LOOP

Unfortunately I have received nothing yet from Apple. At this point, I guess something went wrong with the verification. I haven't brought my pc with me so I will check everything on 14 Sept., the day I will come back home. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    The app is meant to be used with these rules:

Tyneside Wargames Club - Richard Bradley's original Solo Rules
    Excellent - a set of files that my phone can read. Thanks!

The maneuver cards presented by the App are all derived from the above method, the differences are refinements of the maneuvers selected in those original rules. The Universal Diceless Solo Cards (UDSC) are here:
    Files: Solo Rules
    ...but this file, my phone claims to be an "invalid PDF" that it cannot display

Hm. It looks as if the problem is between my phone and the Aerodrome file area rather than with the files themselves, then - I've had the same "invalid PDF" result for every PDF I've downloaded from the Aerodrome so far (.doc and .xls files work fine though).

Are the Universal Diceless Solo rules available from some other site than the Aerodrome? (Seeing as how downloading the RB files from the Tyneside site worked fine...)

You need to reference the specific rules you select to use the App.
    Which is why it is a bit annoying that I can't read any .pdfs downloaded from the Aerodrome

Thanks for the help!

/Oerjan

Hello chaps, today I finally received the notice of succesful verification by Apple and the WoG Solo System is finally live on App Store too! I updated the main post with the download link. (https://appsto.re/it/28ZS9.i)
    In the end, they only took one day more than my estimated release day.

Please notice this is still the old 1.0 version; I will upload a new one as soon as I come back home. Thanks!

LOOP

Great news!!!
    Can't wait 'til I get back home.

Looks awesome so far! Downloaded it to my iPhone 5s with no problems. Now to test it...

Anyone downloaded this to a Surface 3 Pro? I can't find it. Is this a program or an app?

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
    Anyone downloaded this to a Surface 3 Pro? I can't find it. Is this a program or an app?
    The download link is on the first post! It's a classic Windows software (.exe).

LOOP

Finally! I have downloaded the app on my iPhone 4s and it is working perfectly.

Danjel, the app is amazing! Because of your app and blackronin + others solo rules, WOG can now be played as a cooperative game too. My youngest brother Beau wasn't a huge WOG fan before, because he like cooperative games more, but now he and I can work together to destroy AI planes. Amazing! Well done to all involved!

Now, a few questions/observations I have:
    1) I noticed the Dr 1 will occasionally plan 2 sideslips in a row. Since those are steep maneuvers, isn't that technically illegal?

2) When playing with altitude, how do the AI planes cope? I have been having them play straights as dives if their enemy is below them and they could take a shot. I wonder if altitude counters might be added along with the damage counters and an "enemy above/below/same level" switch be added along with the "enemy far/near" switch in the 2nd gen rules.

3) When playing with special damages I've been treating guns jammed as normal, fire as normal, and pilot wounded as normal. However, since there is no way of communicating special damage to the app, I can't apply engine damage and rudder damage to AI planes as usual. What I'm doing now is just to add 1 extra point of damage when an AI plane draws engine damage (2nd engine damage drawn still eliminates the plane as normal) and when a rudder damage is drawn, if the AI plane flies the direction it shouldn't (ie draws a right rudder damage and then flies right), I have it be unable to fire. The pilot is fighting with his controls and cannot fire.

Anyway, those are the workarounds I came up with, but are there better ways to apply special damages to AI planes? Just curious.

Thanks for the app, it looks great! Really looking forward to being able to use all of the maneuver decks, eventually for any planes...

Jut download the iOS version, and so far so good.

I'd suggest another thing to add to the "to do" list (yes, I know, I know!) of altering the alignment of the clockface for each plane, so that the '12' is actually at the top, at the 12 o'clock position.

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    ...Now, a few questions/observations I have:
    1) I noticed the Dr 1 will occasionally plan 2 sideslips in a row. Since those are steep maneuvers, isn't that technically illegal?
    2) When playing with altitude, how do the AI planes cope? I have been having them play straights as dives if their enemy is below them and they could take a shot. I wonder if altitude counters might be added along with the damage counters and an "enemy above/below/same level" switch be added along with the "enemy far/near" switch in the 2nd gen rules.
    3) When playing with special damages I've been treating guns jammed as normal, fire as normal, and pilot wounded as normal. However, since there is no way of communicating special damage to the app, I can't apply engine damage and rudder damage to AI planes as usual. What I'm doing now is just to add 1 extra point of damage when an AI plane draws engine damage (2nd engine damage drawn still eliminates the plane as normal) and when a rudder damage is drawn, if the AI plane flies the direction it shouldn't (ie draws a right rudder damage and then flies right), I have it be unable to fire. The pilot is fighting with his controls and cannot fire.....
    The original RB solo rules did not account for special damage being applied to the AI Cole. We do in OTT and basically you have to act as the I in AI and do what would be best for the aircraft eg if it plans to turn in a direction it can't then generally you have to play a straight; play a stall when it has engine damage, remove straights when it's on fire and so on. I guess it will be the same when using the app.
    As to the illegal moves that was something done deliberately by Joaquim to give the AI an edge - you would have found the same with turns ending in immels that are followed next turn by moves other than a straight but that has been corrected by the app - Don't hold with it myself so either correct it or not as you choose but that is the reason it's like that.
    Your method of dealing with altitude is the same as those used by some in OTT with the standard alt rules and work fine.
    Glad you're using them to team up with your bro - Have fun with it.
    Last edited by flash; 09-10-2015 at 12:16.

"He is wise who watches"

Jut download the iOS version, and so far so good.

I'd suggest another thing to add to the "to do" list (yes, I know, I know!) of altering the alignment of the clockface for each plane, so that the '12' is actually at the top, at the 12 o'clock position.
    I expect it's shown that way to reflect Richard Bradley's solo template where the sectors to spot the aircraft in are divided up as 12-1; 2-3; 4-5 and so on. The 12-1 sector covers an area from 11.30- 13.30 on a clock face hence it is slightly off set to accommodate this. You can see the template in the pic on p.1.

"He is wise who watches"

I think the windows version should run on yours. Can you let us know here because I am thinking of getting a surface 3 pro too

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I expect it's shown that way to reflect Richard Bradley's solo template where the sectors to spot the aircraft in are divided up as 12-1; 2-3; 4-5 and so on. The 12-1 sector covers an area from 11.30- 13.30 on a clock face hence it is slightly off set to accommodate this. You can see the template in the pic on p.1.
    Perhaps a toggle then to choose between 'normal' clockface setting and the one that corresponds to the template. I'm sure that not everyone would have or would use the template, and using the clockface for direction reference is so ingrained - particularly with air combat - that having a 12 or 6 for example that isn't actually at the 'normal' position is just confusing.
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 09-11-2015 at 10:50. Reason: Typo

Just installed the iOS version on my iPad mini.
    I will give this a workout on the weekend.

Thanks again for making this available - especially as a free app!

Perhaps a toggle then to choose between 'normal' clockface setting and the one that corresponds to the template. I'm sure that not every would have or would use the template, and using the clockface for direction reference is so ingrained - particularly with air combat - that having a 12 or 6 for example that isn't actually at the 'normal' position is just confusing.
    A toggle would sort it though people should be using the template in conjunction with the app so they know what to select, it is available for those that wish to make one up - if you correct the clock (and I follow your reasoning completely) then there is a chance it will skew your results.

"He is wise who watches"

By the way, were ends a "close" distance and start "far"?

I tried downloading the Windows version by clicking on the link in post #1. Google Chrome blocked it as potentially dangerous software. I will have to try going through the google apps store.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I think the windows version should run on yours. Can you let us know here because I am thinking of getting a surface 3 pro too
    I think the app downloaded because it showed that it did. I just can't find it in Windows 8.1. Now I just upgraded to Windows 10. It downloaded just fine to my IPad though.

I think the app downloaded because it showed that it did. I just can't find it in Windows 8.1. Now I just upgraded to Windows 10. It downloaded just fine to my IPad though.
    Thanks for getting back with that. I think I might leave my tablet upgrade for a while then. I think Samsung are supposed to be doing an upgrade for model soon anyway. The app might work after that.

Just come across this. Superb!

Posted a link to here on my Tactical Wargames facebook page.

Huge thanks!

Hello guys, sorry for the lack of updates. The daily routine started again last Monday and I was left with some tasks that took over my entire week. Will get to work on updates ASAP. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Wodin View Post
    Just come across this. Superb!

Posted a link to here on my Tactical Wargames facebook page.

Huge thanks!
    Thanks to you too!

Yes, please, continue! It is an outstanding app

Hello guys, sorry for the lack of updates. The daily routine started again last Monday and I was left with some tasks that took over my entire week. Will get to work on updates ASAP. Sorry!

Thanks to you too!
    No worries; volunteer work goes at it's own pace. Thanks to you.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Ok, this sounds totally great and I'm ready to download. My question, what else do I need other than the app?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    Ok, this sounds totally great and I'm ready to download. My question, what else do I need other than the app?
    I have discovered that you need Wings of Glory WGF and this app helps you play Solitaire. I too was hoping that it was a way of playing WGF on my phone but it's an assistance tool. Excellent that it is from what I can tell so far

Thanks for the reply. I guess my question should have asked, do I need special solitaire rules or other game aides to play solo with the app?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I guess my question should have asked, do I need special solitaire rules or other game aides to play solo with the app?
    Greg

You will need this template:
    Zone Marker

Herr Oberst also has a nice one in the shop:
    Acrylic Template

The Files section has a lot of info on using these:
    Solo Rules

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Problems with Android downloading files.
    By Twisted_terrain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 00:57
  2. android app
    By boomerpete53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 13:22
  3. Solo: Lets knock out a system to actually make solo play possible.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 16:22
  4. WW2 (DoW) system for WW1?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 03:58
  5. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14