Ares Games
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: WoG Solo System [Mobile & Desktop]

I've lost a couple of battles to the AI. Makes it fun. I've also won some because the AI does something really stupid.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

It's good because it means you can come up against a really good or really bad pilot, which was true in real life. One battle may be against a green rookie on his first flight while your next battle may be against a 50 victory ace.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Have you tried any altitude rules with the app? e.g. simply replacing straights or sideslips with climb/dive or more complex approaches as in post #286?
    I often play with altitude and found that this does make it more challanging for the AI.
    Not as yet, but as I get more familiar with the solo system I plan to.

Hi Daniel ... only to report that the app on Apple store seems to be no more available.
    Do you know why?

Because you have to pay yearly to have stuff on Apple store. So they may have not renewed their license. You still have access to an app you have purchased/downloaded and then deleted though (unless you are Russian). If not, then there used to be a web based app.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Quick question. Does the app take into account the amount of damage a plane has sustained when choosing maneuver cards or is it up to us players to determine when app controlled planes need to head for home?

Kirk, are you not aware of Ares' official new app? I'm not being silly; I just can't imagine someone using what you're referring to, unless they weren't aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Kirk, are you not aware of Ares' official new app? I'm not being silly; I just can't imagine someone using what you're referring to, unless they weren't aware.
    Clue is in the title, Luke. It's an app to use for solo gaming with the models on the table, imagine that !

"He is wise who watches"

They are two different things - the solo app allows you to play a physical game with an automatic player, the Ares thing is a computer game simulation of the physical game...

That's right! My memory was foggy!

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Quick question. Does the app take into account the amount of damage a plane has sustained when choosing maneuver cards or is it up to us players to determine when app controlled planes need to head for home?
    The app just keeps a counter that you can increment after drawing damage cards for the auto plane. It will turn red when it s greater than damage resistance.
    The card selection is not affected by it.

Got a new iPhone this week and lost the app because it's no longer available in the App store.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    The app just keeps a counter that you can increment after drawing damage cards for the auto plane. It will turn red when it s greater than damage resistance.
    The card selection is not affected by it.
    Thanks. So if a plane is near its end and I want to play realistically I'll have to revert to picking my own cards. Either that or pretend an attacker is 180 degrees opposite from where the closest one actually is. So if the closest enemy is at 11 o'clock I'd say it was at 5 o'clock so the stricken aircraft would fly away from a potential attacker.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Thanks. So if a plane is near its end and I want to play realistically I'll have to revert to picking my own cards. Either that or pretend an attacker is 180 degrees opposite from where the closest one actually is. So if the closest enemy is at 11 o'clock I'd say it was at 5 o'clock so the stricken aircraft would fly away from a potential attacker.
    For an AI plane that has reached the Should Retreat criteria, make the target the board edge you should retire to, or just pick cards that will take it in the direction it should be retreating to. If some target flies into gun arc and range, it can take shots at it, but continue the retreat moves.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Got a new iPhone this week and lost the app because it's no longer available in the App store.
    Yes, I noticed this also yesterday, when I went to download it onto my new iPad Pro. Does anyone have any news on the status of the WoG Solo System app? I can't see any updates in the relevant thread 'WoG Solo System [Mobile & Desktop]' (apologies if I missed it): https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...olo+system+app.

For now, I need to use earlier devices that already have the app installed, as desktop play against AI opponents without this app is not something I really wish to contemplate (using paper charts).
    Last edited by Flying_Corpse; 09-11-2022 at 18:14.

Hi Rhys, I have the app on a couple of Android devices but I also have the app as a download and it has a folder called macosx which might be of some use to you. If you wanted to pm me an email address I can send it you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Rhys, I have the app on a couple of Android devices but I also have the app as a download and it has a folder called macosx which might be of some use to you. If you wanted to pm me an email address I can send it you.
    Thanks so much for your kind offer Gary. PM with email address sent!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Corpse View Post
    ...desktop play against AI opponents without this app is not something I really wish to contemplate (using paper charts).
    I use nothing but paper charts, I find them quicker, easier & more flexible to use, especially with multiple types on the table.

"He is wise who watches"

Hi everyone, long time no see. Hope you all are are doing well.

I wanted to post here back when the app was removed from the App Store but I had some issues recovering my forum password. I stopped thinking about it due to a lot of stuff happening to me this year, until I joined La Partita piů Grande Che si Pole and with a spark of renewed interest I decided to try logging in again, so here we are. I'll update the first page after posting this.

First off, the app is gone from the App Store because I stopped paying for it. Keeping an App Store account open is 100€ a year, but I never actually earned anything from my mobile apps, and I had to cut some losses a few months ago. I plan on reopening an account later on for future projects, but this is not going to happen anytime soon.

Right now I have absolutely no time or will to work on WoG Solo, since my current project has top priority over anything else and it's safe to say my future depends on it. This year already threw me a number of low blows and I'm exhausted, I can't really distract much from what matters.

I have no idea if the latest WoG Solo Android and desktop versions still work today, but I am sure the project needs a proper upgrade since the app was made with an old editor version that I no longer use, and the whole UI framework has changed and improved since then. Anyways I have no plans to kill this app forever, but I'll have to keep it on this hiatus for some more time. Hope you can understand.
    Last edited by DanjelRicci; 09-27-2022 at 08:08.

Quote Originally Posted by DanjelRicci View Post

Hello fellow pilots!

I'd like to introduce you WoG Solo System, an helper app for WGF that makes it easier and faster to play with Solo Rules. Add any number of planes to the fight, then set heading, distance and facing of target plane, and press a button to automatically draw maneuver cards without having to check the charts and roll the dice. As further help, every plane has its individual damage counter.

This first post will always be updated with the latest download links and changelog. For help and questions, please first check the F.A.Q or write a post here.
    Check six!

Download links
    OSX (1.7) --- Windows (1.7) --- Linux (1.7) --- Android (1.7.1)
    Windows and Linux builds have not been tested officially - iOS version is no longer available due to App Store account closure

Pricing
    The app is 100% free, without ads or in-app purchases.

Currently supported Solo Rules sets
    • Standard (by Richard Bradley)
    • Advanced (by Blackronin, based on Standard)
    • 2nd Gen. Advanced (by Blackronin)

Currently supported decks
    A, B, C, D, D+, E, E+, F, G, G+, H, I, J, J+, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, XA, XB, XC, XD

Special notes
    When a turn ends with an Immelmann, in the next turn the app will automatically draw a straight maneuver first. The remaining maneuvers for that turn will be shifted to the right.

Compatibility
    The last version of the app has been built with Unity Engine 2019.1.0f. A list of unsupported devices is listed here, but be aware this list is currently outdated.

Changelog
    • v1.7.1
      - Compatibility update.
    • v1.7
      - Compatibility update.
    • v1.6
      - This version completes the deck list, including every official deck from A to Y, from XA to XD, and custom decks D+, E+, G+, J+.
    • v1.5
      - Added maneuver decks D+, E+, G+, I, J, J+, L, M, O, P
      - Menu for adding a new plane has been redesigned and improved for easier use and faster setup
      - From now on, each maneuver deck may have a different number of compatible Solo Rules sets
      - It is now possible to edit health points for each plane; damage counter will turn red again if maximum damage is reached
      - Fixed a critical bug where deck E was using E+ charts
      - Due to the updated layout of the app, landscape orientation support has been removed
      - Added Exit button on Android and desktop versions
      - Updated main help text
      - Other minor fixes
    • v1.4.1
      - Fixed incorrect heading dial orientation
    • v1.4
      - Added maneuver decks E, F, G, H, K, N for all the currently supported rules sets
      - All official planes have been replaced by generic planes, one for each supported maneuver deck (generic planes have no preset resistance points, thus damage counter won't turn red anymore)
      - Plane and pilot name can be edited for each entry
      - Plane icons now show the respective maneuver deck letter
      - Graphics overhaul
      - Minor fixes
    • v1.3
      - Possibly fixed the bug where Android hardware buttons were deactivated (Android)
      - Reverted home button behavior to simply put the app in background instead of closing it (Android)
      - While the app is running, the screen will no longer go in sleep mode (mobile)
      - Added "Destroy all" button
    • v1.2
      - Possibly fixed missing entries inside the popup lists (Android)
      - App process is now killed when pressing the Back navigation button from the main screen (Android)
      - Added SFX On/Off switch
      - Updated main help text
    • v1.1
      - Possibly fixed UI bugs (Windows, Android)
      - When adding a new plane, the popup will no longer close automatically
      - Reduced memory overhead, improved performance
    • v1.0
      - First version!

F.A.Q.
    - What's the project status?
    Right now the project is on hiatus, please check this post for more informations.

- Why do I have to select a Solo Rules set each time I add new planes?
    Because you can assign a different rules set to each plane, to have planes behave differently from each other.

- Is the desktop version any different from the smartphone version?
    The app is identical.

- The app completely crashed my device!
    Most probably you have downloaded the app very early before unsupported devices were blacklisted. Please refer to "Compatibility" section above.

Credits
    Special thanks to Blackronin for helping me sort out some doubts I had with the 2nd. Gen Advanced charts, to brdavis for helping me coding new decks, to osnn01 and Prodromoi for the useful screenshots, to Richard Bradley for all of his early work with Solo Rules, and of course to you all for the amazing support and REPs!
    Uao Danjel thankl you so much for this to you, Richard Bradley and Blackronin!

I was wondering... will there be any update to use it with Tripods and Triplanes?

Saluti dall'Italia,
    Francesco

Quote Originally Posted by Porcorosso View Post
    I was wondering... will there be any update to use it with Tripods and Triplanes?

Saluti dall'Italia,
    Francesco
    Ciao! No, my plan is to only support WGF. But in general, as I explained above, there won't be updates at all for long time.

PS: please avoid to quote the full first post, it just clutters the thread!
    Last edited by DanjelRicci; 09-30-2022 at 01:30.

Danjel, first of all, thank you fot the app

To be honest, I use more WGS app, but never mind - this is still on my phone, running and I am scary to change the device most of because the possibility of loosing your app.
    Tell me, is there any way how we can support you?

Thanks a lot Dan-Sam!

I don't think I can get help with this in any way, the major issue against updating WoG Solo right now is time. I don't know how much it will take to update and rework the necessary parts, and unfortunately any time deducted from my current main project is a loss, since I am already very late with it and there is still a ton of work to do. I take pauses and free days from the main project, but I need to use these to cool down and think about something else or I'll burn out. I'm no longer young enough to work on multiple different projects for weeks uninterrupted. :D
    Last edited by DanjelRicci; 09-30-2022 at 03:47.

Don't worry, Danjel, I guess there is plenty of time. This game (these games) survived even clinical death thanks to people who simply loves the tiny airplanes. It is good that you are not out of the business now. I will contact you during my next Rome trip for a glass or two. Ups, I wanted to say "a game or two"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Don't worry, Danjel, I guess there is plenty of time. This game (these games) survived even clinical death thanks to people who simply loves the tiny airplanes. It is good that you are not out of the business now. I will contact you during my next Rome trip for a glass or two. Ups, I wanted to say "a game or two"!
    I'll be down for both games and glasses so definitely let me know if you are around here!

Just tried to open the app and found out its not available anymore! I get why, but it's a real bummer. Anyone have a line on these paper charts I'm reading about? They sound like a lot of work, but better than nothing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketshoes View Post
    ...Anyone have a line on these paper charts I'm reading about? They sound like a lot of work, but better than nothing, I guess.
    There are several, they're generally easy to use and better as don't require electronics or an app that doesn't run !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...p?do=cat&id=63

here's the original set most are based on created by Richard (herkybird):
    https://herkybird.tynesidewargames.co.uk/wofg.html
    Last edited by flash; 11-18-2022 at 01:45.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketshoes View Post
    Just tried to open the app and found out its not available anymore! I get why, but it's a real bummer. Anyone have a line on these paper charts I'm reading about? They sound like a lot of work, but better than nothing, I guess.
    Mike - I've used them a few times and they work great.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Does a version of this solo playing aid exist for those of us living in 2023?

Yes, the author's post on P1 of this thread still has active links to the app.

-edit- So I should add after noting people above have had trouble with the app. I opened the windows link on P1 and the files appear to be intact but I don't know if those links still result in a workable game so I don't want to get hopes up if it's broken.
    Last edited by Sigwald; 11-04-2023 at 09:02.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Similar Missions

1. Problems with Android downloading files.
    By Twisted_terrain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 00:57
  2. android app
    By boomerpete53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 13:22
  3. Solo: Lets knock out a system to actually make solo play possible.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 16:22
  4. WW2 (DoW) system for WW1?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 03:58
  5. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14