Ares Games
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WoG Solo System [Mobile & Desktop]

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Greg, this information comes direct from the app - it may be suggested that you familiarise yourself with the sets of Solitaire rules you are about to see mentioned.

Screen 1: Information; Tap + to add any number of airplanes, with a set of Solo Rules for each one. On any airplane control board, press Plan to draw three face down manoeuver cards. Cards are drawn depending on how heading, distance and facing controls are set. Notice that some controls may not be available with certain Solo Rules sets.

Screen 2: Aircraft; Let's pick a ... Sopwith Camel - William Barker. Solo Rules sets available are 1) Standard - by Richard Bradley. 2) 1st Gen. Advanced - by Blackronin. 3) 2nd Gen. Advanced - by Blackronin. Let's pick ... Option 3 and press Add Plane.

Screen 2: Aircraft; Let's pick an ... Albatross D.Va - Ludwig Weber. Solo Rules set selected is Option 3 again. Now press Back.

Ready To Start: Solo App; You are ready to commence your game with 2 x opposing aircraft. I hope that this guide helps you more than my previous answer did

Thanks Pete and Barnaby. Looks like I need to crack open the solo files before I dive in. The app seems pretty straight forward. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks for the help!

Ok, I tried to play with the app, but the "distance" buttons don't appear.
    What's going on? I'm using an IPad.
    Thanks in advance for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    Ok, I tried to play with the app, but the "distance" buttons don't appear.
    What's going on? I'm using an IPad.
    Thanks in advance for the help
    When you add a plane, you have to add it with '2nd Gen. Advanced - by Blackronin', then the distance buttons will be shown.

That being said, is there a place where one can read about the standard, 1st gen. and 2nd gen. solo rules that this app uses? I'm brand new to the game but haven't heard of these rules before so I still don't know how to use the buttons. Would be nice if the app had a link... can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks Brian!
    I must be doing something wrong because I can't find the solo rules in the files.
    I went to scenarios, but all I see is the decks and charts. One set of rules is in Italian.
    What am I missing? Please help this feeble old man!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    Thanks Brian!
    I must be doing something wrong because I can't find the solo rules in the files.
    I went to scenarios, but all I see is the decks and charts. One set of rules is in Italian.
    What am I missing? Please help this feeble old man!
    Yeah I'm not sure where those solo rules come from. I'd like to know myself, hopefully someone can help us.

Here's a link to the original solo rules

Richard Bradley Solo Rules

That's where I started - but I converted to used the cards as I like the fact there are no dice rolls required.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by DanjelRicci View Post
    Hello guys, sorry for the lack of updates. The daily routine started again last Monday and I was left with some tasks that took over my entire week. Will get to work on updates ASAP. Sorry!
    I have not checked every card in Blackronin's 2nd gen but I think that this is a help to you. (if you haven't noticed it allready )

A-deck=S=V=T
    B-deck=J=R
    D-deck=U
    These decks are the same just different speed. I think that it works to fly with U-deck using the D-deck settings and so on.

PG you missed Q=W; H=K; I=E and you are correct you can use one set to work the different types

"He is wise who watches"

LOOP

I know but as A,B and D is in the system allready you just (says he who don't have to do the legwork ) have to ad the Aircrafts to the app.....

Hello,

I played a solo game last night and this app worked out pretty well.
    I controlled one plane (DRI) and then I had the app control 3 planes (SPAD, Albatros, Camel).
    The camel went down first, followed by the DRI. At that point I took over control of the Albatross and narrowly defeated the AI SPAD. Fun game!

I have a few questions about how to use the app / solo rules - sorry if these things are explained elsewhere, I either couldn't find an answer or the answer wasn't clear to me.

1) Closing vs Moving Away control: How do I use this? If the enemy plane is chasing the AI plane, is that "Closing" (from the enemy point of view) or "Moving Away" (from the AI plane's point of view)?

2) What if the two planes are flying parallel and not toward or away from each other? (The rules seem to have a 'left' and 'right' possibility that accounts for this, but it looks like the app doesn't have this, is this correct?)

3) Board edge: Is there any way to indicate the plane is approaching the edge of the table? At one point I had to override the app and make an immelmann turn in order to keep the Albatross from leaving the game.

4) It took about 90 minutes to play this solo game. Is that normal? My play area was probably 48" square - will it help to have a smaller area with only 4 planes?

Thanks Danjel for creating the app - for me it makes these solo rules usable, where otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with all the charts and bookkeeping required.

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    1) Closing vs Moving Away control: How do I use this? If the enemy plane is chasing the AI plane, is that "Closing" (from the enemy point of view) or "Moving Away" (from the AI plane's point of view)?
    It is decided on what the target aircraft is doing ie is it moving toward or away from its attacker.

2) What if the two planes are flying parallel and not toward or away from each other? (The rules seem to have a 'left' and 'right' possibility that accounts for this, but it looks like the app doesn't have this, is this correct?)
    Danjel will have to confirm what's in the app but might depend on which edition of the rules is selected, think it was 2nd edition that catered for this.
    For me it depends how far apart the models are and their relative speeds, I always play it that if it's not coming at you it's moving away unless I know they'd want to engage each other and it's possible they could ie there's room between them to turn and engage. Then I'd play it as Closing for both.

3) Board edge: Is there any way to indicate the plane is approaching the edge of the table? At one point I had to override the app and make an immelmann turn in order to keep the Albatross from leaving the game.
    No - sometimes you have to be the I in AI and do what's best for the plane - this may mean selecting a different clock value to avoid the edge or simply adjusting the draw as you did.

4) It took about 90 minutes to play this solo game. Is that normal? My play area was probably 48" square - will it help to have a smaller area with only 4 planes?
    That would be about right - depends on the cards drawn of course - the playing area sounds about right but you could try starting closer with a smaller area though it's generally the card selection, model placement & fire resolution that takes up the time. Or, you could take the zeroes out of the deck

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

ColoradoCoppens

I just discovered this and have to say: many thanks, Danjel! I've been using Richard Bradley's solo rules on and off, but hadn't ever tried the variants with distance and heading. This app should speed things up quite a bit, and add some new challenges! Can't wait for mor e planes to get programmed in.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but has anyone tried co-op play with the ap? So 2 or more human players vs the AI? I know it defeats the purpose, but could be fun?!

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    I haven't read through this entire thread, but has anyone tried co-op play with the ap? So 2 or more human players vs the AI? I know it defeats the purpose, but could be fun?!
    Cole [HotleadColdfeet] has some positive feedback on this aspect, here: WoG Solo System [Mobile & Desktop] - Post 80.

It should work for cooperative games quite nicely. You determine the order of play, and use the App/specific AI plane when its turn comes up. Because the App hides the cards until tapped, I think running the planes consecutively might work best. However, Cole would be the one to answer that.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

That will work fine Evan as the card selection for the AI aircraft is made on its relation to the aircraft it's targeting be it another AI or human, the fact that there are two, or, more, human pilots will make no difference... they'll still get you !

Just make sure the humans select their moves first before they work out and reveal the AI moves and all should be well.

"He is wise who watches"

Hello guys, glad you continued to discuss the app even if I disappeared from the forums. Sorry about that!
    I have been quite busy recently, my main project steals lots of my time as usual. Also I'm ashamed to say that only two days ago I realized that public iOS version of WOG Solo is still 1.0... I'm really terrible! D:

Yesterday I tried to better schedule my free time and decided to spend Monday evenings only to WOG Solo System. This way I should be able to dedicate this project the time it deserves, and possibly send an update every two-three weeks, depending on how much stuff is ready at each time.

Thanks again for your support. :)
    Check six!

Awesome news! Please, continue on your project! It really make sence.

LOOP

Great news!!

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Good to hear!

We really appreciate what you are doing.

I have just uploaded version 1.3 to AppStore and am now waiting for a preliminary validation (which I have never encountered before). After that, it will take the usual week of approval time to get the iOS version online and downloadable to everyone.

In the meantime, moving on to add more maneuver decks and planes! I should be able to launch another update in one or two weeks.

EDIT: preliminary validation passed, the app is now waiting for review.
    Last edited by DanjelRicci; 11-09-2015 at 15:07.

Awesome! Thanks Danjel, can't wait to see it.

Version 1.3 has been approved by AppStore and is going online during these hours. It took less than five days, they have been really fast this time!

Quote Originally Posted by DanjelRicci View Post
    In the meantime, moving on to add more maneuver decks and planes! I should be able to launch another update in one or two weeks.
    Music to my ears! Any schedule for the Android versions?

I feel the need to say thanks for this App. I use it every time I play. My only complaint is that we need more planes.
    Again, thanks for all the work you did on this. It is very nice.

LOOP

Updated
    New decks would be awsome. Can't wait
    This app us just so good.

Thanks, Danjel. Firing up the iPad as I type.

Thanks everyone, guys! :D
    Today is WoG development day, I think it's time to add more planes and decks, in alphabetical order.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Music to my ears! Any schedule for the Android versions?
    Android version is already updated to latest release, v1.3. I may be able to launch another update for all platforms this evening. ;)

Between yesterday and today I managed to add only a part of the maneuver decks I planned for thr next update: E, F, G, H. I haven't finished yet unfortunately, so I will launch the update later. :)

LOOP

Take it at your pace

Trouble report v1.3 Android
    Advanced Deck D - gave a stall (steep) followed by steep sideslip (steep). Suggest replacing stall with straight.

Holy cow! I am just getting back in the swing of things around here and totally missed this thread.
    Danjel, you deserve a medal.

Anything on the expanded maneuver deck update?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

I just down loaded the app on my Ipad. It looks great and I can't wait to test it out this weekend. Thanks for developing this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Anything on the expanded maneuver deck update?
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    What he said.
    What she said.

Default Anyone Use Ace Cards for the App?

Our group has been playing a cooperative play vs, the App and it has worked rather well. We've been useing the 2nd Gen. Advanced by Blackronin. I'm looking to run a campaign - Bloody April - with the App doing the Germans.

Has anyone ran Ace Cards for the App? Any that work well, or didn't work? I'd like to give Jasta 11 an advantage.
    Last edited by Walram; 01-26-2016 at 23:04.

Not with the App but with the solo rules - I would think anything other than the manoeuvre abilities would work with the app if you manage them correctly, though you could involve those too if you don't mind swapping cards out. Sounds stupid but remembering they have ace abilities in the heat of battle is sometimes an issue - I have to put markers on them to remind me !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Danjel! I've just found this thread and it made my day
    REP and good vibes!

now question: does the system supports altitude rules? if not, how do you guys deal with it? (I've never played 'solo', I know the rules do exist, I do have a 'clock' template, but found it very time consuming, now with this app in my cell I will give it a try)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andrew
    Sorties Flown

This is great. Thank you.

Thanks Danjel, that's truly awsome! Have downloaded the App to phone and desktop without a hitch so far. Shall try it out on table tomorrow and see how it runs. Looking forward to the extra planes.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jaime
    Sorties Flown

this is SOOOOO GREAT!!! thanks

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jaime
    Sorties Flown

using the app and it is great, but now that I get to take down Richtofen, I can´t destroy it in the app...what should i do since the destroy button do not work?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jaime
    Sorties Flown

the app is amazing!! any one with an idea which deck can be use in the app for the G deck?

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    the app is amazing!! any one with an idea which deck can be use in the app for the G deck?
    B deck is closest, Albatros.

Hello guys, I hope you all are fine! I really owe you excuses for the negligence I had towards this project and towards your trust and excitement.

Long story short, in these months we had a lot of work to do in the office, and as time passed, I began losing energy and will to work on personal projects. Coding both at work and at home can be quite tiring; programmers will relate.
    WoG Solo System is the simplest project I have made, but since I had more complex and interesting things in my to-do list, I never really got time for this. At least until some weeks ago: all my personal projects have been temporarily halted. Without any real due date, no project is more important than others any longer.

As usual I have no clear idea on how much and when I will get to work on this, but sure I'd love to bring the project on. So, even if some time has passed, you can still expect updates, very soon I hope.

Thank you for your patience, check six!

The Wintercon convention is coming in mid July. Any chance of adding some more aircraft before then?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Problems with Android downloading files.
    By Twisted_terrain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 00:57
  2. android app
    By boomerpete53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 13:22
  3. Solo: Lets knock out a system to actually make solo play possible.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 16:22
  4. WW2 (DoW) system for WW1?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 03:58
  5. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14