Ares Games

Thread: Which Lancaster

Durek

Question Which Lancaster

I'm new to the game and having a really hard time finding any real info about the WWII planes, the differences in the same planes... I'm looking to maybe get a Lancaster to compliment my Spitfire (Johnson).
    Is it a good choice and which Lancaster would be better?

Smile

Well I guess it depends if you want a dedicated Dambuster or a more general purpose Bomber.
    I think I would go for the normal Lanc if it was me.
    Do you have any German Aircraft to fly against & some mates to play your games with?

I noticed you posted this in the WW1 Rules Section when it would have been better to post in the WW2 section.
    Hopefully Eric (7eat51) will be able to move it for you.

Hi Jeremie! Let me first welcome you to the Aerodrome.

Assuming you want to purchase one of the heavy bomber special packs, you have two options:
    1. “Grog’s the Shot,” HM-Z, LM739, is an example of a typical Avro Lancaster flying night bombing missions over Germany in 1944 and 1945. LM739 undertook 60 operations plus five 'Manna' food drops and one 'Exodus' PoW repatriation.
    2. "Popsie," AJ-P, ED909/G, was one of the modified Avro Lancaster B Mk III Specials known as “Type 464 Provisioning” that took part in Operation Chastise (the bombing of the three major dams that provided water and power to the Ruhr industrial region in Germany: the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe) in May 1943.

This being the case, "Grog's the Shot" may be your best bet of the two, as this type of Lancaster would be representative of much of the Lancaster fleet.

My question for you, however, is whether or not you really want a Lancaster? Spitfires were daytime single-seat fighters designed to engage and defeat German fighters. As such, one of the Focke-Wulf FW 190 D9-D13 models might be a better bet. You would be able to pit the two fighters against one another, as they are reasonably well-matched (although, IMHO, the Spitfire is the superior of the two) in terms of speed, firepower, and agility.

In fact, the Spitfire Mk.IX (along with the FW 190, P-51D Mustang, and Ki-84 “Hayate”) is a "fast fighter" and uses non-standard maneuver cards... they're much faster than other WGS/WWII aircraft still available. Each of those four aircraft types, btw, are reasonably well-matched.

i went for the "grogs the shot" myself as i figured, as others have said, itd be more general purpose than the damnbuster.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i went for the "grogs the shot" myself as i figured, as others have said, itd be more general purpose than the damnbuster.
    If you want to get a German plane for opposition then you`re best option is to go for the Me110 next, the black one preferably.
    That will allow you to run Night bomber/fighter scenario`s.

I have the dam busters one and I am very happy with it.

Hi, Jeremy.

I have 4 Lancasters (2x Dambuster 2x Grogs).

For standard bomber missions I would recommed the Grog's version.

For some something special with extra features I would recommend the dambuster version. (extra stuff and paper gaming mat with dam targets)

Both Lancasters are looking awesome and have strong armed rear turrets.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

"Grogs " for me. the loss of the mid turret means repaints to other Squadrons is limited.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Durek

Thank you everyone for your help.
    I’m terribly sorry and not snubbing or ignoring.
    These forums don’t like my account and its been fraught with issues took me 5 attempts to sign up and still needed admin help.

Its obviously isn’t sending me email of PMs received or thread answered….re-checked all settings.
    Its all SNAFUed I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well I guess it depends if you want a dedicated Dambuster or a more general purpose Bomber.
    I think I would go for the normal Lanc if it was me.
    Do you have any German Aircraft to fly against & some mates to play your games with?

I noticed you posted this in the WW1 Rules Section when it would have been better to post in the WW2 section.
    Hopefully Eric (7eat51) will be able to move it for you.
    Terribly sorry about the era forums mistake, guess i didn't pay enough attention when starting a thread.
    I have 5 other people who play locally, I'm the new junior and was looking for a "big plane" to be honest to at least play with me Brit Spitfire.
    This is more of a fun game for me, and I wont be as historicaly accurate as I am with Battlefront's FoW, AIW or Black Powder.
    Not meaning to offend but anted to get that out before I get flamed for potential theatre non interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post

Assuming you want to purchase one of the heavy bomber special packs, you have two options:
    1. “Grog’s the Shot,” HM-Z, LM739, is an example of a typical Avro Lancaster flying night bombing missions over Germany in 1944 and 1945. LM739 undertook 60 operations plus five 'Manna' food drops and one 'Exodus' PoW repatriation.
    2. "Popsie," AJ-P, ED909/G, was one of the modified Avro Lancaster B Mk III Specials known as “Type 464 Provisioning” that took part in Operation Chastise (the bombing of the three major dams that provided water and power to the Ruhr industrial region in Germany: the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe) in May 1943.

This being the case, "Grog's the Shot" may be your best bet of the two, as this type of Lancaster would be representative of much of the Lancaster fleet.

My question for you, however, is whether or not you really want a Lancaster? Spitfires were daytime single-seat fighters designed to engage and defeat German fighters. As such, one of the Focke-Wulf FW 190 D9-D13 models might be a better bet. You would be able to pit the two fighters against one another, as they are reasonably well-matched (although, IMHO, the Spitfire is the superior of the two) in terms of speed, firepower, and agility.

In fact, the Spitfire Mk.IX (along with the FW 190, P-51D Mustang, and Ki-84 “Hayate”) is a "fast fighter" and uses non-standard maneuver cards... they're much faster than other WGS/WWII aircraft still available. Each of those four aircraft types, btw, are reasonably well-matched.
    So it seems with all these answers and suggestions I will look at grabbing Grog's for general purpose use.

Again thank you all

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post

+1 or Totally Agree

The Johnson Edition Supermarine Spitfire is a Mk IX - one of three available for Wings of Glory / WW2 or WGS. The Wings of War WW2 range of features earlier Battle of Britain-type Spitfire Mk I and Mk IIs with the three-bladed propeller. These are still available though they have been out of production for some time - so they will come at a higher price than the Mk IX Spitfires. They are quite frequently seen on E-Bay though.

Welcome to the Aerodrome

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Durek View Post
    Thank you everyone for your help.
    I’m terribly sorry and not snubbing or ignoring.
    These forums don’t like my account and its been fraught with issues took me 5 attempts to sign up and still needed admin help.

Its obviously isn’t sending me email of PMs received or thread answered….re-checked all settings.
    Its all SNAFUed I guess.

Terribly sorry about the era forums mistake, guess i didn't pay enough attention when starting a thread.
    I have 5 other people who play locally, I'm the new junior and was looking for a "big plane" to be honest to at least play with me Brit Spitfire.
    This is more of a fun game for me, and I wont be as historicaly accurate as I am with Battlefront's FoW, AIW or Black Powder.
    Not meaning to offend but anted to get that out before I get flamed for potential theatre non interactions.

So it seems with all these answers and suggestions I will look at grabbing Grog's for general purpose use.

Again thank you all
    G'day Jeremie!
    Glad we were able to assist you.
    Mate we are not into "flaming" anyone here. It is not that sort of Forum thank the Lord!
    The main thing is to enjoy the gaming & although I do have a great interest in the Historical background of WW1, especially, I also play because I get a lot of enjoyment & laughs from my gaming.
    If you are into fun gaming do try the WW1 game as I think it lends itself to a more relaxed style of play & the Aircraft have much more differences in their manoeuvres than the WW2 birds.

Cheers Baz ( P.S. Thanks for the Rep!)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Jeremie - you may find two of the articles in this thread of interest:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...uits-and-Bumps

They feature the two Avro Lancasters which are available for Wings of Glory / WGS. Featurettes include aircraft + kit which comes with them in their Special Packs.

I am just reading Guy Gibson's book Enemy Coast Ahead courtesy of Biggles Downunder. Great read and it features both Lancaster Types.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I am just reading Guy Gibson's book Enemy Coast Ahead courtesy of Biggles Downunder. Great read and it features both Lancaster Types.
    Snap!

What a great coincidence. I am reading my late Father's copy having just spent the last two days 'Bombing Stuff' playing Solitaire. Which included an attack on a dam - on the third attempt I managed to score a direct hit.

Inspired by all this I began reading Gibson's book today. The film 'The Dambusters' with Richard Todd in it was also inspired by this same book.

I finished the book. It is a great red but very sad that so many of the best were killed on that Damn Busters mission. They were all so keen to have a go at it as well. The civilian casualties must have been heavy too. Gibson was an extraordinary man.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

IIRC eight of the Avro Lancasters did not return from Operation Chastise with 67 crew unaccounted for: Two as it turned out were captured and spent the rest of the war as PoWs. What I am still trying to get to grips with is the responsibilities Gibson held when he was just 24 years old. On top of which he had to ensure that everybody involved kept schtum about the Armchair Squadron as 617 Sq became known along with it's activities without the backing of the Official Secrets Act because this did not exist back in 1943!

It's weird: There is part of me that says could I do this if ever required to? No I couldn't ... Then the side of me which remembers where I was when I was aged 24 and the principal reason for why I am unable to disclose much about this encourages me to think that should this ever have been required of me I would have given my all and not just my best shot. A recent joke on another thread about the SODS (Station's Operatic and Drama Society) Opera at RAF Waddington one year is permissible but even this sort of thing was not allowed for the members of 617 Sq. In fact one Squadron Member was caught talking shop to a group of girls local to RAF Scampton on the only occasion this was believed to have happened: His reprimand from Gibson for this took place in front of the entire Squadron and this case was made an example of.

Back in 1943 the saying was Keep Mum She's Not So Dumb. Nowadays Whatever We Do In Here Stays In Here is fairly universal especially for those governed by the Official Secrets Act ... Though I no longer serve in such a role people wonder why I do not bother with Facebook Instagram and Twitter accounts these days. Why? Because I would rather be on the Aerodrome anyway.

Moved.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Similar Missions

1. For the Lancaster fans!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-13-2015, 04:15
  2. 3rd Lancaster
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-12-2014, 13:37
  3. Here comes the Lancaster
    By Kaiser in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 45