Ares Games

Thread: Beginner's Luck?

Smile Beginner's Luck?

Last Saturday my Nemesis and I were very pleased to meet fellow pilots and 'drome members Troy and Ed for an impromptu game across the mountain. They fielded a pair of Sopwith Triplanes while SWMBO flew a Roland and I took an Albatros DVa. It's been well over a year since I last took to the war torn skies over Ypres and would you believe it, on the second maneuver card of the first turn, I drew the explosion card!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	173241

So while I plummeted earthwards, the Roland was left to take on the two Brits alone. Not that this is ever much of a problem for a Roland jockey..... A head on attack against Ed

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	173242

Then Troy felt the sting of the Roland's guns

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	173243

Down they went, one by one

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	173244

Ed was soon knocked out of the fight but we decided to allow replacements so both he and I took off again. 'Twas all in vain though as the Nemesis managed to rack up three kills while the best I could do with an aircraft that turns like an ocean liner was avoid flying right off the table!

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	173245

Many thanks to Ed and Troy for setting things up, it was a pleasure to meet you and look forward to many more enjoyable games!

Great start for the new guys, but even better for your Nemesis!

We have our own equivalent here in the U.K., "Deadly M". It was a pleasure (and a relief!) to fly alongside her at Stafford a couple of months ago!

Hope you manage to arrange plenty more scraps!

thats pretty harsh for your 1st game in over a year . i hope you lasted longer in subsequent engagements! i too seem to have bad luck with von hippels mount. it usually catches fire or gets blown up for me as well. i think it has something to due with the pyrotechnic nature of his masscot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    We have our own equivalent here in the U.K., "Deadly M". It was a pleasure (and a relief!) to fly alongside her at Stafford a couple of months ago!
    "Deadly M"? Could this be a member of the infamous 'She Devil Squadron' - a mysterious group of ruthless all female pilots who have sworn never to be taken alive? Such things are only spoken of in whispers......

ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, she might hear you - and it'll be ME who cops it!

Nice photos. Some planes cannot seem to mix it well with agile enemies like the tripes. I spent one game waving at DR1's as I kept going past in my Spad last week. I could not get a decent shot at them. What is with the colored stickers and straws around the pegs?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

It was nice to finally drag my planes out for some flight time after almost three years of being stored away. In all honesty, I think I will pass on taking the Tripehound up again. While agile enough, that single vickers just doesn't have the punch against those twin spandaus.

Gary, the stickers are there for my house rules on altitude (Dive, Climb and Maximum Altitude - as seen in the last photo, the Tripe can Dive 3 and Climb 3 per turn and Max Altitude is 13 / the Roland is Dive 3, Climb 2/1 with bombs and Max 10). And no straws, I permanently glue my flight pegs into lengths of four (this equals the long bomber and balloon pegs) to equal a single altitude status and I paint them all sky blue. Am in the works of painting rings around the upper joints to make visual checks of altitude easier. And the red stripe is painted on the inside, rear of the the Roland stand as a reminder of the observers blind-spot. I have done on all the bases that have rear firing weapons.
    Last edited by Horse4261; 08-14-2015 at 06:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post

"Deadly M"? Could this be a member of the infamous 'She Devil Squadron' - a mysterious group of ruthless all female pilots who have sworn never to be taken alive? Such things are only spoken of in whispers......
    There is more truth in this than meets the eye Albert.
    I understand from a very good source close to Major Raymond's Office, that Deadly M. is being joined by Swmbo 63, Mazzle, and Mrs K at Doncaster, plus three of John Biggle's ladies.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I understand from a very good source close to Major Raymond's Office, that Deadly M. is being joined by Swmbo 63, Mazzle, and Mrs K at Doncaster, plus three of John Biggle's ladies.

Kyte.
    That's quite an accumulation of the Fates... Keep your heads on a swivel, chaps!

Smile

Kyte.
    John Biggle's has 3 Ladies?

He is a brave man indeed!

Thumbs up

Great to see you back in the Skies, Stuart & joining with more new pilots.
    Well done. ( pity about the Explosion card!)

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    John Biggle's has 3 Ladies?

He is a brave man indeed!
    Not so exotic as it sounds Baz.
    One Good Lady and two daughters. I had the privilege of flying Wing for Hannah in two games last year and she wrought death and destruction wherever she flew, but mainly on her father. In two games, she shot him down three times, and a fourth shared with me.
    Rob.

Not so exotic as it sounds Baz.
    One Good Lady and two daughters. I had the privilege of flying Wing for Hannah in two games last year and she wrought death and destruction wherever she flew, but mainly on her father. In two games, she shot him down three times, and a fourth shared with me.
    Rob.
    Yep Hannah even has a Pink Plane I seem to recall.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Yep Hannah even has a Pink Plane I seem to recall.
    The "Hedeby humbler", or somesuch.......................

Forgot about Johns trio, that makes 6! Damnation sir, women shouldn't be allowed, I mean it's just not fair!

Kyte.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Mrs K's maths makes that actually 7 Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.

The Sovs had a famous night bomber unit comprised of ladies - now what did the Germans call them.... Nachthexen...that was it - Night Witches !
    Sounds like there's enough for a coven at Doncaster !!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great to see you back in the Skies, Stuart & joining with more new pilots.
    Well done. ( pity about the Explosion card!)
    Thank you Sir! (Salutes smartly)

However I am once again obliged to send this message through the lines via friendly resistance people, as two of those accursed She Devils are overhead here at GoA, sweeping the skies clear of everything we send up!

Mrs K's maths makes that actually 7 Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.
    AAAAAAAHHHHHHH We are doomed.

Similar Missions

1. Just my Luck
    By Anav in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2015, 16:07
  2. Questions from a beginner - models and manoeuvre deck cards
    By Malibumax in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 03:51
  3. Worst Luck?
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 20:14
  4. Rookie's Luck?
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 01:39
  5. Beginner's guide for newbies building and mounting non-Ares planes. . . ?
    By Endless Grubs in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 13:57