Ares Games

Thread: N deck vs F deck and SE5A

Default N deck vs F deck and SE5A

I've given up on finding a SE5A, so I'm building a 1/144 kit for it. How do I figure out the N deck for it? I think the F deck is close, but what are the differences?

thanks for the help.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Unfortunately there's no easy substitution. The composition is almost exactly the same as the F deck (I think the SE5a's 90 degree turns have a stall marking, but otherwise it's the same maneuvers as the F deck) but the SE5a is faster - it's in the same speed band as the SPAD XIII, so its straight moves are the full length of the card, and other moves a bit longer than the F deck.

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for the Dogfight Booster pack. I blame William Lambert, he was an ace from Ironton, Ohio which is 10 minutes from where I live. I recently read his book "Combat Report" and he flew the SE5A and thus my new found interest in the SE5A.

TBone

Good to know! I'm doing the same thing.

Quick question.. I am new to this game... but considering how common the se5a was in real life, how come it is not readily available for the game?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

The Royal Aircraft Factory SE5A I am learning ... Was a contemporary of the Sopwith Camel. Saw widespread use with Commonwealth Forces. I am very surprised that the SE5A is not readily available for WW1 / WGF given it's credentials as an Entente workhorse.

Though I play WW2 / WGS full-time I am quite sure that the SE5A was produced by Nexus as a Wings of War Official Miniature. But it is definitely not available as a Wings of Glory Official Miniature from Ares Games. It is therefore going to be a pricey aircraft type if you can find one available. However all is not completely discouraging: Ares appears to 'focus' a little more on WW1 / WGF than they do on WW2 / WGS so you may be in for a pleasant surprise in the future in the shape of a reprint or production re-run.

There are other possibilities but they may require painting / assembly / customisation to use as game-pieces rather than being ready-to-run out of the box: Plenty of good advice is available on the Aerodrome as to how to go about this if so. The scale required I think has been mentioned somewhere above - 1/144 Scale.

Welcome to the game Bill
    Last edited by Tonx; 08-16-2015 at 20:39. Reason: Adding good advice point.

TBone

The SE5a was a Wings of War release. Hard to find right now.

You can get the Valom models and use them, but you will need the N maneuver deck.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

It'll almost certainly appear from Ares, but is like as not a couple of years away - best guess for the WWI release schedule is maybe series 3 reprints next, then series 9, then series 4 reprints, which would include the SE5a.

Okay... thanks. Its a shame it is not available yet, it is perhaps my favorite plane from the war.

--
    Bill

Wouldn't swear to it, but isn't there an SE5 & it's deck in Burning Drachens?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

No, the Dogfight booster was the only card product with the SE5a in it - Drachens had Nieuports vs Albatros and Pfalz D.IIIs

"Dogfight" card booster packs do appear from time to time in aftermarket arenas, such as ebay; as with all such arenas, you take your chances when you bid on such rarities - sometimes you get a bargain, but usually you lose out to a wealthier opponent!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandBill View Post
    Okay... thanks. Its a shame it is not available yet, it is perhaps my favorite plane from the war.

--
    Bill
    The SE 5a is available from Shapeways, Bill. You just have to paint it up & add decals.
    Not too hard with PC 10 & CDL undersurfaces.

Barry's got the right of it... with a few noteworthy exceptions, the S.E.5a was a pretty drably dressed kite.

Shapeways is probably your best bet in terms of price point, though there are some nice kits out there... Valom comes to mind. And 'N' decks can be had, from time to time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    Jusyt a heads up theres one for sale here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291540290067

Ah, yes had a rummage, my mistake you are correct it's the dogfight booster

I saw the Dogfight deck and then forgot to bid on it. I did buy the Valom 1/144 kit and am building it. Not an easy task. The struts are impossible and I gave up and made my own struts to hold the wings up. I've almost got the kit built. I used cordite from a .303 round for the struts. Which I find very satisfying. Hope it doesn't go up in flames.

I have an idea of building an N deck, so I'll see how that goes. Going to glue a peg to the bottom of the model and borrow a base for it. I still have the wheels and carriage to attach and then the decals. But I'm close. Having not built a model in 25 years, doing a 1/144 is asking a lot of my skill set.

Last "Dogfight" deck on ebay.co.uk went for over Ł22!

That's just bonkers!

I wanted it, but not at that price!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I must confess I was watching that, and I think my one may be heading out of the door if that's what they're fetching these days....

I culled a pair from Ludikbazaar in France for half that!
    I'm always interested in picking up a bargain, but that auction went mental!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep, just nuts - I was watching it with a view to grabbing a second one, and ended up thinking it may be better to give up my first....

Similar Missions

1. The New M-deck
    By LOOP in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-20-2021, 12:28
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-16-2015, 10:13
  3. What maneuver deck is most like the v deck?
    By EhindsVCS in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 08:43
  4. Where can I get a 'B' gun deck?
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 15:48
  5. New `T` Deck
    By Rabbit 3 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 12:46