Ares Games

Thread: New Hampshire - Newbie

david5272

Default New Hampshire - Newbie

Hi, new to WoW or WoG
    I have bought WoW Mini Revised Deluxe Set about 2 years ago

Broke out X-Wing mini, and tried playing very basic rules with 11 yr old son.

Remember I have the WoW RDS and got that out. Tried playing with very basic rules with 2 planes each. Just damage points.

Tonight we tried adding a few damage extras like hurt pilot, jammed gun, not able to turn and fire. We played with damage cards face up to still get the feel for it.

What else should we be doing. Looking to get my brothers playing so that we can have plenty of planes.

Hi David, welcome to the 'Drome from neighboring CT!

One of my favorite aspects of this game is that WoG is, at its core, a simple and intuitive system that rewards experience but is easy to pick up. Additionally (as you've discovered), its modular nature lets players tailor the complexity of their experience.

Oh, and I love the little planes!

It sounds like your approach is one I'd recommend: start with the basics, and add advanced rules as you and your son grow more comfortable.

If playing WGF (WW1) the four aircraft in the Deluxe Set (SPAD XIII, Albatros D.V, Sopwith Camel, and Fokker Dr.1) are a great starting point, but it never hurts to add a couple more types to your hangar. A two-seater for each side would expand scenario options beyond the straight-up dogfight, and there are several good ones on the market.

I'm not as fond of the starting four in the WW2 (WGS) box, but they're contemporaries and play well against each other. I would prefer to pit Spitfires & Mustangs against Fw190s, but you can't go wrong so long as you pit aircraft from the same time periods against one another.

This is a knowledgeable and helpful community, so please don't hesitate to raise any additional questions... and let us know how it goes!

On behalf of the Squadrons based here over the pond in Dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome David.
    Hope to see you in the Officers' Mess later for a few virtual beers and a good old chinwag.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod! Where in NH are you? I have a friend in Peterborough that plays Wings of Glory.

Like Chris said, start off slow adding more options as you get comfortable. When you see a plane you like I suggest you get it as when they are gone
    it will be a long time if at all for them to be made again. If you are into painting/modelling there are other options too like Valom, Shapeways, Reviresco, Red Eagle Miniatures......

Enjoy the site here as it has a lot to offer!

Peter

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This is a great place to stumble around in, David - I'm glad you found your way here. Like Chris said, it looks like you have a good start; enjoy as you add more into the mix

All the best,
    Matt

Welcome to the drome from old blighty.

welcome to the drome david !!!!

Welcome to the 'Drome, David, from Middlesex in the U.K.

Damage cards - you playing WW1?

Like others, I recommend a pair of two-seater planes, one for each side, to allow bombing, photo-recon and artillery spotting missions, as a change from endless dogfights.

No need for anything fancy just yet - get used to the additional rules, use as many or as few as suit your style of play, and have fun!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the Aerodrome David from across The Pond. Great to have you on board.

As you settle into the game playing with damage cards / tokens face up is a good idea so these become more of a learning experience for all of you. It's a quicker way of getting towards the days of feeling comfortable enough to play with them concealed. You will be able to witness the effects of each token knowing what has been drawn and the bigger number of players ... the greater probability of seeing all the tokens in action in a shorter space of time.

Just watch out for those Boom Cards

Welcome to the Aerodrome, David, from her near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Thumbs up

G'day David & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

As the chaps have said you are off to a good start & there is much here on the forum to help you enjoy the game even more.
    Do check out the Aerodrome Store as Keith who runs the forum has a great range on minis available at great prices plus all sorts of game aids.

Do keep us up to date on your progress.

Hi David - welcome from here in the UK

Sounds to me like you're doing it right; slow steady start ... get the kid(s) involved ... the brothers too ... then regular games (e.g. once a month with on-going records) ... etc.
    We now have 4 older-guy brothers and 2 older-guy friends, and 3 younger-guy sons/nephews and 1 younger-guy friend for 10 regulars. The sons/nephews and their spouses have started to "deliver" the next generation but it'll be a few more years before they can sit upright in a cockpit. We'd certainly involve the ladies but our family hasn't had a girl-child in 4 generations ... serious bummer, really. The older and younger-guy spouses and have played on occasion but find the basement gaming room "fug" too daunting despite the best air fresheners known to mankind.
    Welcome David!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Welcome from the Left Coast
    Pete? This could imply that the other coast is the "Right" Coast? You can't have meant that. Or would politics be creeping into the Forum?

Nonetheless, welcome David, from Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Farther to the left of Pete, geographically, if not in political leanings.

And, for Canada, at least, I think this is the "Better" Coast to live on, weather-wise, anyway.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Welcome to the Aerodrome, David.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Pete? This could imply that the other coast is the "Right" Coast? You can't have meant that. Or would politics be creeping into the Forum?

... from Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Farther to the left of Pete, geographically, if not in political leanings.

And, for Canada, at least, I think this is the "Better" Coast to live on, weather-wise, anyway.
    You are preaching to the choir, Mike.

I'm a transplant from BC.
    Still Canajen, eh. (Originally a "Lancashire Lad",but that was many moons ago.)
    We flew across Canada in a Viscount, which I am sure you are familiar with.

Name:  Vickers Viscount.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  35.6 KB

P.S. I think I still have a Dinky Toys model of this plane

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Sounds like you are off to a great start. I would suggest you look through the mission discussions on both wars and then read some of the AARs pertaining to the mission for future ideas on where to expand your horizons.
    The mission boards here are heavy with European fights in both wars, but then again that is where a majority of the action was. So if you are looking for WWII in the Pacific you will probably have to come up with the battle. There are a few out there.
    Do not be afraid to ask any question, no matter how silly you may think it is, someone may have already asked the same question and you will be directed to a link to the answer. Or someone else may know the answer.

Hello and a hearty welcome from the W. Ky Aerodrome.
    Dale

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Sounds like you are off to a great start. I would suggest you look through the mission discussions on both wars and then read some of the AARs pertaining to the mission for future ideas on where to expand your horizons.
    The mission boards here are heavy with European fights in both wars, but then again that is where a majority of the action was. So if you are looking for WWII in the Pacific you will probably have to come up with the battle. There are a few out there.
    Do not be afraid to ask any question, no matter how silly you may think it is, someone may have already asked the same question and you will be directed to a link to the answer. Or someone else may know the answer.

Hello and a hearty welcome from the W. Ky Aerodrome.
    Dale

Hello and welcome!
    It's great that your son is into the action. I am using the same plan with my "ace" 10 yo daughter.
    She is tough! How does she know where that boom card is hiding? I make one mistake and she flames me, aaaahhhhh!
    Have fun,
    Greg

Similar Missions

1. National: New Hampshire Reporting In
    By Savoir Faire in forum US Wing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2014, 05:12
  2. National: Any members from New Hampshire/Vermont?
    By bridder01 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 04:57
  3. National: Hello from frozen northern New Hampshire
    By bridder01 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 10:43