Ares Games

Thread: I STILL hate homework

Angry I STILL hate homework

As many of you may well know, I play WOW almost exclusively with my son, Hunter. Well, we recently bought a number of the new Series 4 planes (a Rumpler, a Breguet, two SE5's and a Pfalz D.IIIa) which arrived yesterday afternoon. I was super excited to get right to the dogfights to test out the SE5 against the Fokker D.VII. Hunter would fly the SE5, me the D.VII. When Hunter got home from school (he's in 6th grade) I immediately asked about his homework, since we can't play until it's done. Much to my dismay he was swamped!! I didn't even tell him the planes arrived so as not to distract him from his work. Finally, when I THOUGHT he was almost done, I told him about the planes. He freaked out with excitement and ran to the sunroom to inspect his planes. After 5 minutes of checking the planes, I managed to get him back on track to finish his work. But alas, there was no dogfighting to be had last night. His homework took him all evening to finish and thus we were forced to postpone our fun until today.

30 years after I finished high school and homework is STILL ruining my evening!! (I just needed to vent)

Scott

At least you can feel good about having your priorities strait. And today is Friday - he has all weekend to do homework, so you can get some flying time in tonight!

Hi Dave. Yeah, at least it's the weekend. I plan to have the mats set and the planes already on their pegs when he gets off the bus!! LOL!! I'm starting to wonder who's the kid in all this!!

Scott,

what I hear you're the first parent to complain that his son gives priority to homework!

WOW is taking you go to the bad

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Scott,

what I hear you're the first parent to complain that his son gives priority to homework!

WOW is taking you go to the bad

Attilio
    LOL!! No, that's not the case. If he had his way he'd play WOW first and get to his homework some time the next DAY!! My wife and I set the rules and he has to follow them. I'm just complaining because some days he has very little homework and it takes all of 10 minutes to finish, but last night, with new planes waiting in the hangar, he has to get a monster load of homework that took 2 hours to finish!

my was a joke, of course

Have a nice weekend of dogfights with you son, Don!

Attilio

Cerberus

Why couldnt I have more parents like you when I taught general ed?

Well,you're not the only one that hates homeworks!
    I go to high school,so i'm going to do A LOT of future homeworks.It's frustrating
    I understand you better than any other!

my was a joke, of course
    I know, Attilio. I laughed when I read it. I was just pointing out my son has no self control with WOW and his homework is definitely NOT a priority in his mind.

Scott

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Didn't we recently have a thread on the addictive influence of WOW?

Quote Originally Posted by Von Pupp View Post
    Well,you're not the only one that hates homeworks!
    I go to high school,so i'm going to do A LOT of future homeworks.It's frustrating
    I understand you better than any other!
    LOL!! I guess you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Yep. Hunter and I are both guilty. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go set up the D.VII vs. SE5 dogfight.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Do you mean something like "WOW Collateral Effects"? I don't find anything

30 years after I finished high school and homework is STILL ruining my evening!! (I just needed to vent)

Scott[/QUOTE]

So I guess asking you to help me study for the FAA Instrument written is out of the question?

Hey, I'm still in school, be glad you survived...

I feel your pain. I bought flight of the Giants and the whole last series of planes this week (which I haven't told my wife about) and dying to play with my 12 and 14 year olds. I'm hoping to play tomorrow sometime

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post

Scott
    So I guess asking you to help me study for the FAA Instrument written is out of the question?[/QUOTE]
    Stop winging Greg. Find someone your own age to play with.
    The problem is at my age finding anybody my own age left to play with.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    So I guess asking you to help me study for the FAA Instrument written is out of the question?
    Stop winging Greg. Find someone your own age to play with.
    The problem is at my age finding anybody my own age left to play with.
    Rob.[/QUOTE]

I'm already past the half century mark. As for getting old, sure beats the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    As for getting old, sure beats the alternative.:eek::D
    Dead people still Age -- they just aren't in any condition to gripe about it.... >;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Dead people still Age -- they just aren't in any condition to gripe about it.... >
    Good one Chris!

Scott - I saw a quote the other day that said 'men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing'

So keep playing chaps it's good for you !

And tell the women folk too.!!

Scott,

what was the outcome of the weekend dogfights?

Attilio

Scott,

what was the outcome of the weekend dogfights?

Attilio
    Hunter took down my Fokker D.VII with his new SE5, but it wasn't so much that he out flew me as it was luck of the draw.
    I drew, in this order - 4, 2, 2, 4, 0, 2, 5
    Hunter drew, in this order - 0, 1, 1, 1, 4
    Still, he flew his SE5 exceptionally well and I give him all the credit for a great win.

Our second sortie pitted my SE5 and a Camel against his Roland and a D.III. Unfortunately his observer was killed early on and he had to bail on the mission, so I still don't know what my SE5 can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    Hunter took down my Fokker D.VII with his new SE5, but it wasn't so much that he out flew me as it was luck of the draw..
    That's what we all say Scott. It looks as though he got lucky AGAIN!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Oh, and the sun was in my eyes, too!!

A really detailed account of your weekend, Scott. Thanks.

Let us know when you play with your other recent purchases, homework permitting

Attilio

Hi Attilio. One of the things I want to do this week is a one on one duel where I fly a Fokker Dr.I and Hunter flies his SE5. Now, I know on paper it looks to be a major mismatch, but I'd like to try this based on Werner Voss's historic dogfight where he took on as many as 6 SE5's at one time in his Fokker tri-plane. Since trying THAT (6:1 odds) would be nuts, I'll go with just a one on one to see if the Dr.I's super tight maneuvering can take down the superior health and speed of the SE5. Should be fun.

Scott

Wow!!!

I wait your mission report, of course!

Attilio

I'll be sure to post the report as soon as we finish the sortie. I've been wanting to try this dogfight for days but we haven't had time. Maybe tonight . . .

Default Homework

Luxury, sons playing, schoolwork.
    My lad needs a public flogging to get him to do homework and as for actually playing a game with his Dad... Yerr Reight.
    Looks at me as though im crazy pushing models around. Naagh
    He straight onto computer and WoW ( sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    He straight onto computer and WoW ( sigh)
    But _Wings of War_ doesn't *have* a computer-game version....

;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    But _Wings of War_ doesn't *have* a computer-game version....

Chris,

If Boney10 (AKA Chris) is anything like me all the computer games look alike to us. If its got WW1 or WW2 planes in it, its WoW to me. I'm still trying to work out the difference between the various Halo games my son has.
    I remember when the orginal Space Invaders was state of the art.

Cheers Aled

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    I remember when the orginal Space Invaders was state of the art.
    SO DO I.... :P

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Goering Ace
    Since you now have the series 4 miniatures, do you have an approximate time table of when they will be incorporated into the tactical walk through???
    trumpetman52

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    Hi Attilio. One of the things I want to do this week is a one on one duel where I fly a Fokker Dr.I and Hunter flies his SE5. Now, I know on paper it looks to be a major mismatch, but I'd like to try this based on Werner Voss's historic dogfight where he took on as many as 6 SE5's at one time in his Fokker tri-plane. Since trying THAT (6:1 odds) would be nuts, I'll go with just a one on one to see if the Dr.I's super tight maneuvering can take down the superior health and speed of the SE5. Should be fun.

Scott
    Just thought I'd chime in...With this game system you're right 6:1 doesn't work well unless you were to use special rules for Voss avoiding damage. I played the Voss scenario using the airplane cards and a single "A" damage deck last year and deturmined that 3:1 works well for feeling really overwhelmed for both sides. The Se 5's keep getting in each others way and if played well, Voss always seems to have some kind of shot. I solo played it 3 times and had historical results every time(all allied planes with damage, Voss goes down). I think that if it was just the two of you playing your son could fly 2 SE 5's with no real problem, and you will get the same feel for the game. You may however have slightly more trouble "holeing" his planes. Good luck and have fun!;
    Last edited by Charlie3; 11-08-2010 at 16:28. Reason: typing corrections

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman52 View Post
    Goering Ace
    Since you now have the series 4 miniatures, do you have an approximate time table of when they will be incorporated into the tactical walk through???
    trumpetman52
    Hi Tom. I have already posted an update in the thread with the Pfalz D.IIIa. I plan to write up the S.E.5a this weekend, so I'll put up a notice in the General Discussions forum after it's done.

Scott

Hi Scott,
    Looking forward to the SE5A info, just hope that Scotty and grizzly miss it for at least a week to give me an edge (bet they find though)
    Cheers Aled