Ares Games

Thread: Balloons over Verdun

Lightbulb Balloons over Verdun

Balloons over Verdun
    Prague, 30th June 2015
    6 players, 6 planes, 2 stationary machinegun (A,B)

Date of mission: 2nd December 1916
    Story: During final weeks of Battle of Verdun, Germans instigated artillery fire from captive balloons behind their lines near Azonnes village. French commander sent a specialized pair of airplanes with rockets covered by two fighters agains both balloons. Whe they reached the target area, they were attacked by two German Albatross.
    Central Powers Forces: 2x Albatros D.II, 2x observer balloon, 2x machinegun (A, B)
    Entente Forces: 2x Nieuport 16 (rockets), 2x Nieuport 17
    Central Powers victory conditions: protect at least one balloon for the 12 rounds.
    Entente victory conditions: shoot down both balloons before the end of 12th round.
    Special rules: rockets, stationery machineguns
    Result: Entante won - they destroys both defenders in the fourth round without any lost.
    Balance: 70 %. May be the third defender would be better for game balance.

First clash of this battle - one defender was set fire from the first MG dose. Rocketeers are covering behind fighters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0559.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	170067

Both Albatross are divided and turns to the attackers in opposite directions. A fatal mistake.

Name:	IMAG0560.jpg 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	170068

Nieuport 16 is attacking with it's rockets on the balloon (but it missed) and the second one is destroying twin machinegun.

Name:	IMAG0561.jpg 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	170069

A big MG dose to the one of Albatross from close range. The other one is turning in Immelman maneuvre (behind the edge of picture).

Name:	IMAG0562.jpg 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	170070

The first Albatros is rammed from the sky...

Name:	IMAG0563.jpg 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	170071

...and the other one goes to the ground in flames after second long dose. Balloons are vulnerable and without defenders. Nieuports won!

Name:	IMAG0564.jpg 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	170072

I will have to crack open my balloons one of these days.
    Interesting scenario and presentation.

Balloons are cool "eyecandy" and can bring you many interested spactators and may be even players. They look just...very, very interesting on the table. Thank for you words

Another cracking game Daniel !
    Played a few multi-player games with these gassy beasts in my time and would suggest that to adjust the balance you could allow the AAMG to fire 360 degrees, that can make them a little more deadly and/or introduce AA guns using the solitaire rules as they seem to work the best in busy games.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

<<May be the third defender would be better for game balance.>>

Definitely!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Another cracking game Daniel !
    Played a few multi-player games with these gassy beasts in my time and would suggest that to adjust the balance you could allow the AAMG to fire 360 degrees, that can make them a little more deadly and/or introduce AA guns using the solitaire rules as they seem to work the best in busy games.
    Using WWI AA guns is a nice idea, Dave! Thank your proposal - we must try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Balance: 70 %. May be the third defender would be better for game balance.
    Definitely!
    Probably, Tim. It was the last mission of the day and I confess I was a little tired from previous mission. Thank you for your reaction - it is exactaly why I have a short notice about game balance. To make our scenarious perfect

AA guns would have added to danger for attackers. Balloons are always fun thanks for posting

Another great AAR, Daniel.

Though job for two Albatros D.II.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

It would not be in case that they focused on proper attackers. Their main targets were both Nieports 16, not 17. But OK, they were little underpowered...

LOOP

I have never tried rockets but that must be added to the goals for my upcoming vacation.

Rockets are funny and may be the only thing that can do Nieport 16 a dangerous enemy! You can try even incendiary bullets - another "balloon down" stuff

LOOP

Rockets are funny and may be the only thing that can do Nieport 16 a dangerous enemy! You can try even incendiary bullets - another "balloon down" stuff
    But to hit an airplane with rockets must be close to impossible, isn't it?

Yes, it is. But rockets are agains balloons, not planes. There were almost no explosives in them - they punctured balloons and set fire escaping flamable gas. No magic in 1918

LOOP

No magic in 1918
    Just the magic of history

It was a big surprise for me when I read there were no explosives in rockets. Interesting what our grandfathers invented for killing each other

PS: I really want to see an old school rocket salvo

A very clinical destruction of the defence Daniel.
    Short but sweet.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

It was a big surprise for me when I read there were no explosives in rockets. Interesting what our grandfathers invented for killing each other

PS: I really want to see an old school rocket salvo
    Daniel try to get/watch "Sharpes Enemy" Lots of Congreve Rockets feature in that episode from a series set in the Peninsular during the Napoleonic Wars.

Hmm, hmm, thank you, Barry. I will check it! Napoleonic era is another topic that interests me

The Napoleonic Association do actually have a Rocket Troop.
    I saw them perform at an event where we were on after them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. AAR Mission 12 French assault at Verdun.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-31-2015, 17:56
  2. Winter over Verdun Trenches
    By Dan-Sam in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-03-2014, 00:30
  3. AAR OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun
    By Brambo in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 17:09
  4. AAR OTT The early days Mission 4 We are done!(Verdun)
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-30-2014, 16:30
  5. VERDUN
    By Canuck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 19:08