Ares Games

Thread: Newbie Optional Rules Question

Default Newbie Optional Rules Question

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but here goes.

I've got a good grasp of the basic rules (Burning Drachens) under my belt, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how my son and I should start to introduce the optional rules.

I've thought about just adding them one at a time in the order they are printed, but wondered what other peoples views are on the matter. As the other option would be to cherry pick, but I want to make sure the way we introduce them is logical.

Thanks for any input.

Aled
    Last edited by Pope; 09-30-2010 at 15:40. Reason: spelling mistake

Aled, the easiest rules to add in are the special damage rules and I would add all of them in at the same time. They are not hard to play with at all. When you add in altitude, add in all the other optional rules that "fall under" them as well.

We found the best optional rule to add first is the Bullet Checker rule (GREEN JAM does not jam your guns) The pilot who gets 5 kills without crashing gets to use this ability. OR you can assign this ability to a novice player to help them out. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice, I give the extra rules a go on Thursday. At least the rules pack is quite small compared to other systems and unless I'm very unlucky I shouldn't blow my plane up two days running

Cheers,

Aled

When my son Hunter and I decided to go beyond the basics, we just jumped in head first with the altitude rules and everything that goes with them. They're not hard to grasp and the biggest thing for us was the increased game time.

Scott

matthew_mole

Default Optional Rules first time out

My group played multiple games in a single afternoon the first time I introduced WoW to them. We have so far introduced all the optional rules up to altitude which I think we will probably have a crack at this Sunday evening.

We have done basic ground fire and balloons from Burning Drachens but nothing else. I've noticed that my players only want stuff active in the game that is represented by a model so I'm going to send off for some of the Skytrex AA models and other items.

I don't think we'll have bullet checkers and other ace abilities until we get our first campaign going but I like the idea of having a single plane with a special ability.

Likewise I don't think we'll be playing with bombers (or Zeppelins) until I get some models sorted out.

Regards
    Matt

We intoduced the extra rules up to altitude and your right it is quite simple as long as you have the rules in front of you. I'm going to play a couple of games with the altitude rules next Tuesday at my LGS and then try them out in a game with James.

Thanks for all the input. Aled

Similar Missions

1. Fuel -- another newbie question
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 00:06
  2. Newbie question
    By Jamie in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 03:39
  3. Dawn of War: What optional rules do you use?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 04:16
  4. Newbie deck question..
    By Covalima in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 00:38
  5. Newbie Question
    By AceBerger in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 16:26