Ares Games

Thread: NEW EDITION OF TOTS (The One True Scale)

Default NEW EDITION OF TOTS (The One True Scale)

Members still in Fathers Day recovery may enjoy reading the latest edition of the online 1:200 newsletter The One True Scale. TOTS gives you illustrated coverage of all the latest news in our scale, including contributions from Chris Sayer, Derek Barratt, Carsten Breiting, Wojtek Benzinski, Paul Howard, and yr hmbl & obed svt. Quoting directly from our esteemed publisher, Chris Sayer, "At long last the new TOTS is ready. Sorry about the delay. Please go to www.the-one-true-scale.co.uk and open the newsletter section. The newsletter is in two parts because it was too big to upload in one go. Probably because of the 64 photos in the newsletter. It is far too big to send directly or even post as a pdf as many inboxes are too small or too full."

You can also get TOTS by email, or at least notice of new editions that have been posted. Just contact Chris Sayer via the web site. I don't know a better way of tracking developments in our scale.

I believe there is a parallel newsletter for folks who game or simulate or simply collect models of AFV's and figures for ground combat. I recall something about "Skirmish Scale" in the title or subtitle. Can any readers help me find that?

Ron

Would this be a bad time to mention my efforts to convert _WG2_ to 1/700-scale? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Would this be a bad time to mention my efforts to convert _WG2_ to 1/700-scale?
    Hmmmmmmmmm. As long as the motto is something like "It's True Enough"!

Ron, I think it's largely because 1/700 is the "OTS" of model-ship sorts. That and you can fit bigger-number and longer-distance battles into the same tablespace... problem is you need tweezers on the ends of croupier sticks to move your planes.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thanks for the heads-up Ron

Steve (programming GPS for Coventry Airport....)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thanks for the news Ron.
    I will check out the updates.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

1/700 scale is well stocked with available goodies, and there are all sorts of PE and other detail parts out there. It splits the difference between the classic 1200 and 1250 ID scales that dominate collecting and the 1/500 and 1/625 Teacher and War College scales. A good compromise between realism and gaming space. Very effective when you are trying to force perspective - eg, task force viewed from the air. My problem with 1/700 was terminal difficulty rigging the biplanes.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Ron, I think it's largely because 1/700 is the "OTS" of model-ship sorts. That and you can fit bigger-number and longer-distance battles into the same tablespace... problem is you need tweezers on the ends of croupier sticks to move your planes.
    I use squares of cardboard, myself -- one picks up the cardboard, and the mini comes with it....

Thank you for the information about this newsletter, Ron. The publisher lives about 30 minutes from my home and I had never heard of him.

It is Chris Sayer who makes the Shed decals which he sells via Helmet Models and his own mail order
    Last edited by Boney10; 06-24-2015 at 05:49.

Indeed, Chris Sayer is the Chris Sayer of Norfolk Group, Shed Models, and TOTS fame. Contrary to rumour Chris does not live in Soothe. You can find him in Little Ellingham if you can locate that. Easier to describe as a suburb of Attleborough. A true gentleman and a pillar of the 1/200 community. I am certain he would welcome visits from fellow devotees of The One True Scale, and they would be awed by his incredible knowledge and beautifully finished models. Not far away you will also find Derek Barratt (Metal Models) and Nick Hawkins (Fen Edge Wargaming) and enough 8th Air Force history to decorate much of East Anglia.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Would this be a bad time to mention my efforts to convert _WG2_ to 1/700-scale?
    I did a couple models for Shapeways in 1/600 scale (just as an experiment), and IMHO they came out very well. 1/700 would be just as easy. But yes -- they're very small! I'm not sure how you'd mount them to anything but flat surfaces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	169445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030.jpg 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	169446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	042.jpg 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	169447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052.jpg 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	169448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	188.jpg 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	169449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	204.jpg 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	169450

1/700 Pacific war game played 2 years ago.
    The planes are mounted on a perspex rod/base combination.

Not done anything that large in WW2 Naval, but they do look very good indeed Tim.
    Rob.

Thanks, WingCo!

They are all models I built around 25 years ago, with the perspex bases made by my brother.
    The airfield buildings I recently repainted.
    I've made more ships 'n' buildings in the last couple of years, and played a few games with them, but didn't take any photos!
    Maybe I'll try again later this year.

Still got to be worth some rep Tim now that I know they are AYOW.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    1/700 Pacific war game played 2 years ago.
    The planes are mounted on a perspex rod/base combination.
    Mine aren't quite that fancy -- basically: I have a square of cardboard big enough to accommodate the mini; the mini is attached directly to the cardboard. When one needs to move the piece, one picks up the cardboard. Altitude is marked with a counter or die. (This dates from before acrylic became quite so common.)

Similar Missions

1. National The One True Scale.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 05:22
  2. True Enough, Snoopy...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 08:02
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 10:06
  4. Site: Toys for Tots fundraiser