Ares Games

Thread: New and overhauled deck classification system

Default New and overhauled deck classification system

OK: knowing that several cardmakers out there will be sharpening knives for me, or at me, as the case may be,
    I felt the current, ad Hoch system of deck modifying needed correcting, and systemizing.
    Since the most common modifier to a deck would be removing some cards (turns tighter than the plane can do, and/or reversals),
    followed by altering the side slips, here we go:

New maneuver deck modification system:

This is an overhaul of the ad Hoch system I did previously for the unofficial aircraft.
    Each plane will have a base (official) deck. this deck might be modified in the following way:

If the deck need to be increased in size (due to a speed faster than the base deck allows), it will have the multiplier here (***) For example: (125) means increase all cards 125%

Next, if the deck needs a major modification of it's turns, reversal and/or add dive bombing cards, as well as decks using the arrow-length only system:
    (hf): This deck lacks a 45 degree turn (like the heavy fighters)
    (b): This deck lacks a 45 degree turn and the reversal (like heavy bombers)
    (db): This deck needs to have dive bombing cards added.
    (z): This deck uses the arrow-length only movement, as described by Zoe Brain.
    (n): This deck lacks a 90 degree turn.

These letter modifiers can be followed by a side slip modifier (if the base deck differs from the suggested SSs)
    (1): 2 sets of sideslips (both fast and slow speeds, like the B deck)
    (2): 1 set of difficult SSs, and 1 set of fast-only SSs (like the C and D decks).
    (3): 1 set of regular, and a set of difficult SSs (like the E and F decks).
    (4): 1 set of fast-only SSs (like the G deck).
    (5): 1 set of regular, and a set of fast-only SSs (like the H deck).
    (6): 1 set of Fast-only and difficult SSs (like the I deck)
    (7): 1 set of regular SSs (like the M deck)
    (8): 1 set of difficult SSs (like the Y and U decks).
    (9): 1 set of regular, and a set of extreme SSs (like the A deck)
    (9*): 1 set of regular, and a set of extreme, difficult SSs (like the O, Q and R decks)
    Adding extreme SSs to a base deck is problematical; I have not yet found any needing this modification.
    Two examples:
    The C deck has a set of difficult SSs, and a set of Fast-Only SSs. A C(1) deck means you remove the fast-only SSs, and add an addition set of regular SSs, also making the existing difficult set non-difficult.
    The P deck has 2 sets of regular SSs. A P(2) deck means you make one set of regular SSs difficult, and the other set fast-only.

I plan on redoing the previously done unofficial planes, which I was double-checking anyway. This will take some time.
    I ask for your understanding and support.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 11-01-2023 at 05:12.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Seems like a good approach. Looking forward to the new spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    (8): 1 set of difficult SSs (like the Y and U decks).
    Y does not have difficult SSs, U does.

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Y does not have difficult SSs, U does.
    Hmm... OK thanks for the tip. Time to fix my speadsheet (again).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    (z): This deck uses the arrow-length only movement, as described by Zoe Brain.
    Despite checking the original thread..

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ght=arrow-only

..I am still in doubt if "arrow-length" means a) up to the perpendicular guide line, excluding the arrow head or b) to the tip of the arrow head?

An other issue that was raised in the last post of that old thread is stall speed. If we move just the length of the arrow the stall speed looks too slow. Is there any consensus about what to do here? Maybe just add the width of the ruler as additional displacement. (on the other hand, the standard mechanics delivers for bomber bases a ridiculously high stall/slow-speed displacement ratio of about 97%, so maybe the pragmatic way is to KISS, be happy and enjoy contradictions :-)

up to the perpendicular guide line, excluding the arrow head is correct.
    Hmm....yes stall speed is slow (gets handy I deck that's waiting to be refiled ,,,, ruler,,,, calculator ) 28KmPH or 17MPH.
    OK, something new to bring up to the committee.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Despite checking the original thread..

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ght=arrow-only

..I am still in doubt if "arrow-length" means a) up to the perpendicular guide line, excluding the arrow head or b) to the tip of the arrow head?

An other issue that was raised in the last post of that old thread is stall speed. If we move just the length of the arrow the stall speed looks too slow. Is there any consensus about what to do here? Maybe just add the width of the ruler as additional displacement. (on the other hand, the standard mechanics delivers for bomber bases a ridiculously high stall/slow-speed displacement ratio of about 97%, so maybe the pragmatic way is to KISS, be happy and enjoy contradictions :-)
    Having given some thought, I would say that any plane using a (z) deck can't use a stall.
    Now then, since the rules state that a split-S must start with a stall, Plot with the stall card, but play with the slow straight.
    Depending on the deck, your already half the speed of a normal stall (w/ the base card). Same rule for a climb.
    Karl

Added another qualifer, for those decks that have the 90 degree turn, but the unofficial plane doesn't:

(n): This deck lacks a 90 degree turn.

Karl

Looks like you've given yourself a lot of work! Lots of planes to re-look at I guess!

Yeh, and the list keeps getting longer.
    Sometimes, I feel like Sisyphus, though I think my only sin of his is arrogance.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. New point system
    By MajorBorris in forum BSG: Rules Help/Stats
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2020, 09:26
  2. Difference Deck V - Deck W (Yokosuka D4Y1, D4Y3) Susei
    By Sashdash in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2016, 07:53
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-16-2015, 10:13
  4. WW2 (DoW) system for WW1?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 03:58
  5. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14