Ares Games

Thread: A psychological thing?

Default A psychological thing?

Mindless meanderings but ........ I was wondering what prompts folk to pick the planes they do in their games. I flew my first solo WWII last night and picked the P40 vs Re2001. I think that might be related to my messing about in Sicily with a P40 and an MC202 in Wings of Prey. Familiarity leads to subconscious decision?

I always try to fly my very latest repaints.
    Either that, or I use suitable planes to match against the choices of my opponents.
    Failing that, I like to fly any planes which I have never flown before - new releases first, working back to older minis which have never been lucky enough to see table time.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I use suitable planes to match against the choices of my opponents.
    Failing that, I like to fly any planes which I have never flown before - new releases first, working back to older minis which have never been lucky enough to see table time.
    This pretty much sums up my approach to such choices as well ... Although I did recently stop using one of my just recently which appears to have picked up a BoOm CaRd token curse on it from somewhere. To be replaced by an identical and hopefully luckier aircraft over the next five days! Once you have collected almost an entire series of WGS aircraft you find yourself with the choice not the restriction when it comes to capability. Which of course is more than likely to result to your advantage during gameplay.

i always try to match what my opponents have chosen or barring that minis i havent flown before (so i can fullfill my usual habit of blowing up or catching fire)

Historical match-ups within the bounds of my collection. On any given night we can easily get in 2-3 games. So, we'll wander anywhere from Norway 1940 to The Pacific 1943.

Usually within the parameters of the Campaign I am playing.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

.of the 80+ WWI minis I have, I normally fly the Fokker Dr.1, Sopwith Camel, or even the SPAD XIII. The reason for this is they are easier to dogfight with. Plus the other guys I play against would rather do that than something else during that period.
    Of the 50+ WWII minis I have been flying P-40's the last several gaming sessions. The reason for this is the other guys are wanting to do a campaign in WWII and they are trying to get the divebomb rules down and have decided they want to play the Japanese. So I have set up a scenario where 3 Val's and 2 Zeros attack a target defended by 2 P-40s in China.
    I buy multiple of what I like and can get. Some I have seen and want are no longer available unless you give 5-10 times the original cost, and unfortunately I don't have the time available to paint what I want.

LOOP

I like to mix aircrafts but not to the cost of historical acuracy. I find it fun when the air is full of planes that behave differently. You just have to use your brain more

Most of my gaming is campaign or convention oriented. The convention games I run I'll use historically comparable planes.

Similar Missions

1. Psychological Warfare
    By Baxter in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 04:38
  2. You just can't get enough of a good thing!
    By FarEast in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 17:45
  3. Now there's a thing!
    By Dowters in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 15:42
  4. Done the silly thing again!
    By Baxter in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 06:06
  5. A Near Run Thing!