Ares Games

Thread: Leviathan Redux! !/144 Zeps return!

Default Leviathan Redux! !/144 Zeps return!

Yeah, when you drive 12 hours straight your mind drifts places it should not go . . . hmm did I order some nichrome wire?

the land of 2" blue foam - outlawed in AZ . . . they sell it in Boise . . .

. . . cut in half, would they could they might they fit in the car . . .

So it looks like the Zepps are going to happen, again! Get your name in fast . . .

. . . they are sneaking into our realm once more . . .

Nice work David! How did you coat/color the foam after you had the shape?

Why the [CENSORED] is Blue Foam illegal in AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Lucchini View Post
    Nice work David! How did you coat/color the foam after you had the shape?
    Check out these threads, they show the steps. I use a drywall filler after the hull is final shaped. Enjoy: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...irigible+redux and for a few more: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Clipper-s-List There are several build threads on the whole series I have built search "clipper" "dirigibles" and you will find more.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Why the [CENSORED] is Blue Foam illegal in AZ?
    How can a guy in Oregon even ask such a thing? Blue foam is legal to the public in 1" sheets only here in AZ, not at all in CA! One must not inhale the 2" fumes lest they become comfortably numb-forever, while the 1" is ok! I find it tragically ironic that this foam is illegal in the mining industry for underground insulation while at the same time it is legal to insulate underground mine shelters with it by the EPA and the MSHA! We lost miners who made it to the shelters, only to die from the fumes of the Federally approved shelters catching fire . . . silly question.

In short, Nanny State turd-suckers who think they're going to legislate you to THEIR vision of Utopia whether you want to go or not. *snort*

Clipper, you ever check our Reduced Aircraft Factory's gondolas and drivelines on Shapeways? I was just debating about taking another run at Thorsten's Zep, and looking at more rugged exterior-detail ideas. (Maybe trying to see if I can find somebody up for tackling the "late P/Q control cars" so as to open up a few more options...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Check out these threads, they show the steps. I use a drywall filler after the hull is final shaped. Enjoy: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...irigible+redux and for a few more: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Clipper-s-List There are several build threads on the whole series I have built search "clipper" "dirigibles" and you will find more.
    That is amazing stuff David, and to think the idea for the jig came to you in a dream. You appear to have a well-deserved cult following.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    In short, Nanny State turd-suckers who think they're going to legislate you to THEIR vision of Utopia whether you want to go or not. *snort*

Clipper, you ever check our Reduced Aircraft Factory's gondolas and drivelines on Shapeways? I was just debating about taking another run at Thorsten's Zep, and looking at more rugged exterior-detail ideas. (Maybe trying to see if I can find somebody up for tackling the "late P/Q control cars" so as to open up a few more options...
    The RAF bits are excellent, but drive the cost up at ~$30 per zepp : ( I am still trying to get them built to sell at a max of $200.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You tempt me, Sir, you sorely tempt me! To surrender to the Dark Side, or to remain true to the Light...decisions, decisions!

Thank God, you are a repository of both!

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    You tempt me, Sir, you sorely tempt me! To surrender to the Dark Side, or to remain true to the Light...decisions, decisions!
    Are those sails I see behind you? >;)

My Saturday was productive, while the elves cleared the workbench and reloaded the band saw I managed to get the Zep blocks cut and laminated . . .

David

How do they insulate all those flat roofs you see featured on home programs filmed in Arizona? This revelation has me stumped!

Rich

Test cut on the modified cutting jig, glass guides and new indexer, old foam for the test came out pretty good but a bit cooked due to higher settings for the blue foam . . . getting closer to the big show.

With a Fokker DRI and DVII for scale, these are the big ones!

Onward ane upward!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I hope you have one of these leviathans with my name on it, David! If not, please add my name to the list of minions you've acquired...

Zeppelins are magic, after all!

All the best,
    Matt

First five off the production floor . . .

Que the sanding and filing elves!
    Last edited by clipper1801; 05-11-2015 at 20:19.

Coming along very nicely Dave.
    The one you made for me will be at Triples this weekend.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

My P type will be joining Rob's and Tim's zeppelins at Triples for a triple Zeppelin attack on the chip shop at Dover.
    See you on the Dark Side......

My P type will be joining Rob's and Tim's zeppelins at Triples for a triple Zeppelin attack on the chip shop at Dover.
    I guess that is why it is called Triples.

Why does it always have to be a "chips" shop, maybe they were trying for the customs/tax office and thus free you from their tyranny! I prefer win/win scenarios : )

If the target was a Tax Office, the defenders would probably join in the attack!

they look awesome. Are they spoken for and are they for sale? If they are for sale how much?

A recent addition to the game and this forum, I was searching for some Zeppelin information and came across this thread and by extension your original zepp build threads. 1. Brilliant! 2. People who can make things are by themselves impressive. People who can make tools to make things are at another level entirely. As a Mechanical Engineer, I salute you.

Ah the wonders of elves and resin . . .

Half way there!

have you attempted/considered doing a 3-D printer version???

Wow! Haven't seen this thread in a while. 3-d printing is not cost effective or possible without making the zeppelins in rings/sections, which we did explore, but did not pursue. My cut foam process is still the most practical. The expanded foam effort was looking good, but the fuss is still rather toxic and inconsistent. Zeppelins are fun, but very challenging to do well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Spandaugunner View Post
    have you attempted/considered doing a 3-D printer version???
    I'm not sure what it would cost with a home printer, but a 1:285 Shapeways Type P Zeppelin costs about $130US. Since a 1:144 scale one would have 4x the surface area (i.e. material used), it would probably be over $500.

One that was just a framework might be cheaper, but it would have to be printed in 3-4 sections that could lock together without looking kinked. And then you've got the exciting task of overlaying the framework with modeling tissue paper, which is quite the project -- not for the casual modeler.

Maybe large 3D prints like this will be practical some day, but not yet.

OK, are you still making any??? If so, are they for sale??? Pre-order??? I have seen the pics and I'm blown away!!!!!

Hey from the looks of the thread, are you in Arizona??? I'm in Arizona... Laveen, just outside of Phoenix

Surprise, just west of the 303 and just south of Bell

Similar Missions

1. Q. For Thems As Has One of Clipper's Zeps
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2014, 17:10
  2. The Return of the Red Baron?
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 01:17
  3. AAR SND- International Skype Game - Slay the Leviathan - 8/9 June 2013
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight