Ares Games
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New ACE Hangar Trays

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I'll have to design some up for both games for an early 2020 production run. I also need to decide how to do the tripod trays... the Mk. IV is really tall!
    Outstanding! It would be great to have all my Ares minis in your foam. (Ok, that may sound weird...)

Cheers!

The ACE Hangar Trays are on on Pre-Order on the AA site. Place your pre-order before March 8th and save $1 per tray!

Great! My whole collection so far is WGS. There are some planes that aren’t listed specifically and I want to be able to put yhem in trays too:

Yokosuka D4Y3 and D4Y1
    B-25s (I have 2: is it one or two to a B-25 tray?)
    B-17G bit of lace and Avro Dambuster (are these heavy bombers for the trays?)

Does the color of the bottoms matter? Do people color code?

Quote Originally Posted by JediSmurf View Post
    Great! My whole collection so far is WGS. There are some planes that aren’t listed specifically and I want to be able to put yhem in trays too:

Yokosuka D4Y3 and D4Y1
    B-25s (I have 2: is it one or two to a B-25 tray?)
    B-17G bit of lace and Avro Dambuster (are these heavy bombers for the trays?)

Does the color of the bottoms matter? Do people color code?
    Large fighter for the Yokosuka (I just updated the description on the site to include that one, thanks)
    Two B-25s per tray (He-111 is the same)
    Yes, the B-17 and Lanc use the heavy bomber tray. One mini per tray.

The colors do not matter from a function stand point. I personally put Allies in blue trays and Axis in red trays. That just makes it easier for me to find things in my bag.

Thanks! That’s very helpful. If I’m sleeving movement cards, is there enough allowance to use the spaces provided in the hangars? If not, is there a planes only option? I’m sold on the concept.

Heya Keith, when will the WGF and T&T trays be returning to the store?

These trays are nice. What size of storage box does everyone use?

I keep my tripods in the big game box. I'd like to find pluck foam, or something nicer, for that. The box is plenty tall enough and with the Tripods out of their individual boxes there's more than enough room. and I have two plus of each tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    There are a handful of different bags designed to hold 7in x 13.5in gaming miniature trays. I have yet to settle on one, but the Army Transport Mark II, the Sword Bag, and the Portable Warfare bag are a few that I've seen mentioned here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    Heya Keith, when will the WGF and T&T trays be returning to the store?
    I'm expecting an update from the foam factory either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I keep my tripods in the big game box. I'd like to find pluck foam, or something nicer, for that. The box is plenty tall enough and with the Tripods out of their individual boxes there's more than enough room. and I have two plus of each tripod.
    I had some T&T trays designed and offered them for pre-sale, but no one ordered any

driph did a good job covering the size and what bags will fit these trays.

Great - I will be ordering 2 or 3.
    There is no Order Button - can you update this thread when they are available for order?

I'm expecting an update from the foam factory either Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Looking forward to it!

I had some T&T trays designed and offered them for pre-sale, but no one ordered any
    Oh no! I was hoping to order a T&T tray along with the rest of em, but I didn't want to preorder as I hadn't decided on a storage solution at the time. Does this mean the T&T trays were scrapped, or are you still going to stock a few?

[...] I had some T&T trays designed and offered them for pre-sale, but no one ordered any
    Your trays fit the T&T box? If they fit my tripod count I'm sorry I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great - I will be ordering 2 or 3.
    There is no Order Button - can you update this thread when they are available for order?
    The pre-order period is over and since I do not have any in stock right now, I'm not taking order for them. It messes up my inventory levels and I can't risk over selling these as they take so long for me to get them.

Looking forward to it!

Oh no! I was hoping to order a T&T tray along with the rest of em, but I didn't want to preorder as I hadn't decided on a storage solution at the time. Does this mean the T&T trays were scrapped, or are you still going to stock a few?
    I did not have any produced in this round of manufacturing. The profit margins on the trays is really low and I can't afford to be sitting on trays that are not going to sell. I might be able to add a few to the order if they have not finished it up yet. I was expecting a call from them today, but it never came. I'll try contacting them again tomorrow to see what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Your trays fit the T&T box? If they fit my tripod count I'm sorry I missed that.
    No, my trays were designed to fit the standard 7.5"x13" bags like all the rest of my trays.

I did not have any produced in this round of manufacturing. The profit margins on the trays is really low and I can't afford to be sitting on trays that are not going to sell. I might be able to add a few to the order if they have not finished it up yet. I was expecting a call from them today, but it never came. I'll try contacting them again tomorrow to see what's up.

Thanks for the update! If you're able to get the T&T trays produced, I'm in for one, but totally understand if not.

No, my trays were designed to fit the standard 7.5"x13" bags like all the rest of my trays.
    Okay thanks. Let me know if you do have one from the T&T box. It is plenty big enough to hold several.

Keith, any new tray news from the manufacturer?

Keith, any new tray news from the manufacturer?
    I just exchanged some emails with them. They are finally running at full speed and are trying to catch up on their back log of orders. Some of the trays are schedule to be cut in the next week or so, but a few of the new designs need some tweaks. I'll keep this thread updated as I find things out.

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me on these pre-orders.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

I will definitely be ordering some of these once production gets caught up!

Agreed! I think I may buy quite a few!

I need to check how many of these I need before next time, then run down the checklist to see how many I'm short of each. Herr Oberst, do you still have records from the old AA store back in '15?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I need to check how many of these I need before next time, then run down the checklist to see how many I'm short of each. Herr Oberst, do you still have records from the old AA store back in '15?
    Sorry, I don't

Any update. Would love to get some of these!

Sorry, I don't
    Found it in old email, thanks. Working what I got then against a full set now to figure out the catch-up...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

The Hangar trays are now back on the site for normal ordering.

Has anyone used the Ace Trays with KR, feldherr, or Battlefoam boxes. I would like to get some, but I am having issues finding storage boxes to put them in. I don't want any gamer bags. I would like some type of stackable box that can "Store" my minis in.

Has anyone used the Ace Trays with KR, feldherr, or Battlefoam boxes. I would like to get some, but I am having issues finding storage boxes to put them in. I don't want any gamer bags. I would like some type of stackable box that can "Store" my minis in.
    Check out scrapbooking cases. This one looks like it might be good for 4 trays:
    https://www.michaels.com/scrapbook-c.../10158883.html

This box which I used in my War at Sea days for storing my Horde Fleets might hold 8-10 in 2 stacks:
    https://www.joann.com/artbin-double-...s/1492669.html

Diamondback, thanks! I will check those out.

On the drop down selection. For the Caproni, Gotha, Handley, and Staaken. The drop down doesn't match the product description on the product page. There is dual heavy and dual medium. But the item descriptions says only 1 handley or staaken per tray. Just want to make sure I order the right thing.

Thanks!!!

Review of airplane storage trays from Aerodrome Accessories

If you ever wondered about the ACE Hanger Tray storage system available on the Aerodrome Accessories site, then this review is for you.

Let’s start with the basics. Each storage trays is 7.5" wide by 13" long. They consist of the tray, made from high density foam with cutouts for your stuff, mated to a bottom that comes in a variety of colors. Be sure to read and follow the ordering instructions. This is the voice of experience. Deviation will result in Herr Oberst having to engage you in at least one email clarification and a delay to your order. I’m a bad man.

The tray height depends on the type/size of plane being stored. No “one size fits all” here. As the planes get larger and taller, so do the trays. I can attest that the tray height is exactly as tall as it needs to be. Maximum density of planes per tray and minimum stack height were obviously design goals for this storage system.

The majority of the trays hold six airplanes each - plus their flight stands, maneuver decks, and even flight pegs if you so desire. They will accommodate Keith’s custom flight stands with altitude dials attached. Each tray is designed to hold the same size of aircraft, with sizes ranging from small fighters to large double seaters and even the full gamut of giant bombers. As the size of the aircraft increases, the trays hold a lesser number of aircraft. Captain Obvious… alive and well.

There is an exhaustive list of which aircraft fit into each size of tray. Read it and plan your order to match your needs. I found that every plane in my collection fit as advertised.

Ok, so what makes these storage trays special? After all, there are cheaper storage systems out there. I hear you. Hey…Von Scharf… I’m like Donna Summer– she works hard for the money.

Here’s why these trays are worth it:

1) The high density foam
    It holds its shape and doesn’t compress much. Precision cut, top shelf protection. Dare I say frickin’ laser cut? Well I don’t actually know how he makes them, I just know that I wish I had this stuff in my Pelican weapon and photography cases. No Pick N Pluck approximations need apply. I bet you could sit on a stack of these trays and not break a plane. Let’s try it – at Tim’s house with some of his planes. He’ll never miss them if I’m wrong. ROAD TRIP!

2) Stackability
    Because the foam has grip and doesn’t compress much, these things stack like <insert non-PC simile here>. Once stacked, they act as one. Much like an F1 car at Hockenheimring, you have to make a dumb move to overwhelm the grip. Which means they are fantastic for loading into a soft side carrying case, such as those made by Battle Foam, Feldherr and KR Multicase, etc. Or just put them in a plastic tote. You don’t need tops, because the bottom of one tray acts as the top for the one beneath it.

3) Color coding
    Are your eyes getting any younger? Rhetorical. Looking into a black bag, inside a bunch of grey foam… blindly groping around. It’s like prom night up in there. Sorry, I’m a bad man. Herr Oberst allows colored tray bottoms for your organizational pleasure. Entente planes in blue? Central Powers in red? Not saying I did… just saying you could.

There is my review. I have 13 of these trays now, and I’ve discarded other storage methods. Keith set out to make the best storage trays, and I think he has. Buy these and put your empty boxes in the plastic tote up in the attic. Some pics:

A troupe of tripes:
    Name:  Toupe of tripes.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  113.6 KB

A flock of Fokkers:
    Name:  Flock of Fokkers.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  118.0 KB

A pandemonium of Pflazes:
    Name:  Pandemonium of Pfalzes.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  117.8 KB

Did I mention they really stack?
    Name:  stack.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  80.6 KB

Nicely done, Jeff.

I stick with black so I can mix and match as necessary.
    Got 10 trays in 4 different sizes on the way to store my BoB Spitfires and Me109s, my Merit Dauntless and Devastator flights, and a few other 'homeless' stragglers.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post

1) The high density foam
    It holds its shape and doesn’t compress much. Precision cut, top shelf protection. Dare I say frickin’ laser cut? Well I don’t actually know how he makes them, I just know that I wish I had this stuff in my Pelican weapon and photography cases. No Pick N Pluck approximations need apply. I bet you could sit on a stack of these trays and not break a plane. Let’s try it – at Tim’s house with some of his planes. He’ll never miss them if I’m wrong. ROAD TRIP!
    Thanks for the nice review Jeff. As a matter of fact, you can sit on a single or multiple trays and not damage the planes inside. I've tested it up to 150lb

I can confirm Keith is right - there were even repaints inside:

Name:  20160617_212626.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  196.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    I bet you could sit on a stack of these trays and not break a plane. Let’s try it – at Tim’s house with some of his planes. He’ll never miss them if I’m wrong. ROAD TRIP!

A flock of Fokkers:
    Name:  Flock of Fokkers.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  118.0 KB
    Jeff.............

once again..............

I see you managed to acquire some Jasta 18 repaints after all - I'm happy for you; just sorry I couldn't oblige personally.

I've got a stack of Hangar Trays in transit at the moment, to house my BSG minis.
    Your review has certainly fired up my anticipation for their arrival.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post

THAT makes my heart race and my palms sweaty! The Great Hajj sitting on part of his collection! I've seen what he carries in that bag. I need to breathe into a paper sack for a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I see you managed to acquire some Jasta 18 repaints after all - I'm happy for you; just sorry I couldn't oblige personally.
    Thank you, sir. The Jasta 18's are part of my Great Artists of the Aerodrome collection. I have some pieces by TeaTicket and Oberst Hajj in my collection. Still don't have one from you... though you could help me fix that! Sell me a repaint and help fund some more Ace Hanger trays! Private Message proposals accepted 24x7.

Enjoy your BSG trays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post

LOL, I remember you about having a hart attack when I set on my bag full of planes for that photo! And so that other know, that bag has no support other than the trays inside. I can also sit on a single tray without damaging the planes inside it.

There are some things you do not want to see, even when they tell you it is safe And good you tested by yourself and did not ask me about it

I remember also your previous experiment with a drill, also quite interesting.

Diamondback, thanks! I will check those out.

On the drop down selection. For the Caproni, Gotha, Handley, and Staaken. The drop down doesn't match the product description on the product page. There is dual heavy and dual medium. But the item descriptions says only 1 handley or staaken per tray. Just want to make sure I order the right thing.

Thanks!!!
    Camelbeagle did you get a reply on your question? As I was wondering the same thing.

LOL, I remember you about having a hart attack when I set on my bag full of planes for that photo! And so that other know, that bag has no support other than the trays inside. I can also sit on a single tray without damaging the planes inside it.
    Hah, I don't think I've ever seen a better sale pitch for miniature trays.

Perchance, are there trays for the Ju88 and Do17 in development?

Can you confirm that my order is still active in your records and will be processed? I was part of the spring preorder.

Quote Originally Posted by JediSmurf View Post
    Can you confirm that my order is still active in your records and will be processed? I was part of the spring preorder.
    Hi Will, I've been trying to email you about your order but never got a reply and I did not know what your username was on here. I'm going to shoot you a PM about it now.

Very happy with the trays so far.

Just one issue: The Beaufighter and the Bf-110 absolutely don't fit in the Large 2-seater tray for a couple of reasons. First, the twin propeller engines take up too much horizontal space for the space near the nose of the plane. If the foam were cut to accommodate the propellers, we'd be good: the rest of the plane fits. Second, those planes also use larger bases, like the fast fighters, so that part doesn't fit in the small card spaces.

They do fit into the B-25 tray, however, and the larger bases fit into that tray as well. So if I ordered another B-25 tray, I'd be ok, but I'm stuck right now not being able to move the Beaufighter and Bf. 100 into trays.

Let me know if I'm mistaken here. If I'm right, it might be good to change the recommended hanger tray for those two planes.

Will there be new stock of the WWI trays?

(and additionally, I'm in for tripod trays if you end up with a few!)

.......I was wondering the same myself. Keith? Any chance of WWI restock?

Hi All

I understand Aerodrome Accessories is no longer trading but I'm very keen to pick up 1-2 "sold out" Solo Play Templates (https://www.aerodromeaccessories.com...-play-template) as I'm playing the majority of my games solo at the moment. Does anybody know where I can pick up at least 1, but up to 2, examples? I've searched on Google but Aerodrome Accessories appears to be the only place you could get them. I appreciate I can make my own zone marker but I'm very keen on this transparent product.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Rhys
    Last edited by Flying_Corpse; 09-14-2021 at 16:24.

I started with, and continue to use, printed paper cut-outs. I then glued the paper to bristol board. (Or hard card stock).

I shamelessly adapted the template for Battlestar Galactica.

Name:  BSG_SoloTemplate.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  46.9 KB
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks Mike. I’ve “hacked” a 12-zone marker from an original six-zone marker template to use with the WoG Solo System app but agree using the Battlestar Galactica template achieves the same outcome much more neatly! If I can’t source a transparent Solo Play Template/s I’ll probably borrow your idea for a more robust, semi-permanent 12-zone marker.

Cheers

Rhys

Richard simplified his 12 zone template to a six zone for WGF but he kept the WW2 template as 12 zone if that helps any Rhys. Been using paper & card version about 10 years now.
    https://herkybird.tynesidewargames.c...emplateWW2.pdf

"He is wise who watches"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Series 6 Hangar Trays
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 10:57
  2. A review of the WoG Aerodrome WW1 Hangar trays.
    By john snelling in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 15:48
  3. WGF Slightly used Hangar Trays
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 01:41
  4. Hangar Trays restocked.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 15:49
  5. WWII Miniatures Aerodrome Hangar Trays