Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for April?

Default What's on your workbench for April?

Back to normal after a month in the wilderness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6569.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	161462

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The severed heads of every person who still thinks April Fool's Jokes involving Jumpscares is Cute and Clever.... >:)

Some Pe2s, Pe8s, Migs, Il-2, Il-10s - Yep, we are having a Russian month.....

....apart from some Tempests, Spitfire IXs, Spitfire XIVs, Whirlwinds, Mossies and a V1 launch site.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Rob

Are they all AIM planes?

Rich
    Yes Richard you are right.
    All these are indeed AIM.
    I would buy more if his range were more extensive in my area of interest.
    Rob.

Rob

All of their line looks good!

Rich

Rob

All of their line looks good!

Rich
    Deja vu again Rich.
    Rob.

Rob

That is interesting same message one minute later?

Rich

Rob

That is interesting same message one minute later?

Rich
    Must be a glitch in the system somewhere Rich.
    Rob.

If you want to remove the duplicate, try here:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...icate-postings
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Sorted Rich.
    I knew I could move threads, but just discovered that I can also delete other than just on the U.K. Wing.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

I'm very close to finishing some SSDIII for Jasta 12. Next up I'm starting on a some DVa for Jasta 11.

A question:
    On opening up one of my newly acquired Weber Albatros models I found the top wing came away from one wing V strut and the cabine struts but not the other wing V strut. I was actually rather pleased with this discovery as it would make the repainting process easier, that is if I can get the top wing off completely. Some careful application of a little force confirmed that the intact V strut is well stuck and shows no signs of coming free. I seem to recall reading here somewhere that freezing the model can sometimes crack the glue. Is this true and is there a good procedure to follow?
    Last edited by Timmo UK; 04-04-2015 at 10:33.

Lightbulb

I have finally finished my March project. It was not a small one. One railway gun, one boxcar, one gondola, one armored tank transport car with tank, one security car, one radio security car and a gun turret equipped security car.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_6641.jpg   100_6640.jpg   100_6644.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    I seem to recall reading here somewhere that freezing the model can sometimes crack the glue. Is this true and is there a good procedure to follow?
    It's true - pop the plane in the freezer compartment of the fridge overnight. In the morning, drop the frozen plane into a bowl of VERY hot, but not boiling, water; the shock cracks the CA glue, and the wing should pop free (or it might need a little help with tweezers!). If it still resists, repeat the procedure.

It worked on my Pfalz DIII, popping the top wing and undercarriage, but not the lower wing or tail assembly.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Excellent, thanks. The model is in the freezer.

I have finally finished my March project. It was not a small one. One railway gun, one boxcar, one gondola, one armored tank transport car with tank, one security car, one radio security car and a gun turret equipped security car.

Rich
    Nice bunch of targets there Rich,
    Like the camo effect.
    Rob.

Rich
    Great looking models there, Richard.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Nice models Rich. What scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    It's true - pop the plane in the freezer compartment of the fridge overnight. In the morning, drop the frozen plane into a bowl of VERY hot, but not boiling, water; the shock cracks the CA glue, and the wing should pop free (or it might need a little help with tweezers!). If it still resists, repeat the procedure.

It worked on my Pfalz DIII, popping the top wing and undercarriage, but not the lower wing or tail assembly.
    Would that work with the Sopwith Triplane? just in case I get one - couldn't face Boney's withering put downs if I turned up at an event with my wing spacing incorrect...

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Would that work with the Sopwith Triplane? just in case I get one - couldn't face Boney's withering put downs if I turned up at an event with my wing spacing incorrect...
    I don't see why not.

I have taken all three of my unmodified Sopwith Tripes to every event I have attended, and haven't been subjected to Boney's wrath (mind you, I haven't tried to use any of them in the scenarios played!)

Thumbs up

Rob

Now you have the plan! I read several articles on the correct way to apply that late war German pattern. All of the experts agree on one thing. Any new or depot repaired equipment was to be painted dark yellow! After that the green and red brown were applied. There are no standards and from photos everything from mops, rags and sprayers were used. I cut some irregular shaped holes of various sizes in a piece clear packaging plastic. As i painted every unit i moved the template around using both colors. I applied the decals and weathered everything using Model Master black acrylic wash. Then again with Model Masters brown acrylic wash. Shot everything with dull coat. That is when i panicked, the brown wash had left patches of white dusty almost like water spots on glasses. After some experimenting i found out the brown wash must be stirred constantly I reapplied the black wash and the brown was and dull coated everything again. Everything was done Monday the first time!

Rich

Steve

They are 1:144 scale from Dragon. I have a Kato N Scale trolley mechanism that fits in the box car. I would like to convert everything to N Scale wheel sets. That way i could actually run them on my N Scale layout! The Leopold is another matter, it would require wider radius curves than my modular layout standards!

Rich

Come on Chris Boney is a puzsy cat compared to your own Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.

Steve

They are 1:144 scale from Dragon. I have a Kato N Scale trolley mechanism that fits in the box car. I would like to convert everything to N Scale wheel sets. That way i could actually run them on my N Scale layout! The Leopold is another matter, it would require wider radius curves than my modular layout standards!

Rich
    Thanks Rich. Must investigate further.

Edit: while Googling the kits, came across these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQwYPi_rhPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJlzO4KDy4

Obviously a couple of blokes with too much time on their hands....
    Last edited by Guntruck; 04-05-2015 at 09:58.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

I don't see why not. It worked a treat with this DVa. It took about 45 seconds in the very hot water to do the trick after about 10 hours in the freezer. It'll make this repaint a whole lot easier. However, the Sopwith Triplanes I'm doing will have all the struts replaced so I'm cutting through them with a sprue cutter. At the moment I've left them all (five) in their boxes and only cut the centre struts to release the pressure on the top wing. I've few planes to do before I get to these.

Actually, you *want* to show up with an unmodified Tripe -- he'll be so apoplectic with rage, he won't be able to think straight, and will be that much easier to defeat. >:)

Hopefully going to finish decals on these Merit models. Things are fairly busy on my end so tackling the F4F's undercarriage and mounting them all to bases may take a little longer. As the popular saying among the British (I believe it is the 3rd) Army in Burma during WWII went; The difficult we will do at once. The impossible may take a little longer"
    Of course my work pales in comparison to the work some of you gents show on this forum .

Name:	IMG_20150406_170750900.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	162150

Already sort of confused by the decals... I thought the stripes on the tail markings are supposed to go all the way down. Anyone see these as tail markings before??

Name:	IMG_20150406_171617960.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	162151

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Hopefully going to finish decals on these Merit models. Things are fairly busy on my end so tackling the F4F's undercarriage and mounting them all to bases may take a little longer. As the popular saying among the British (I believe it is the 3rd) Army in Burma during WWII went; The difficult we will do at once. The impossible may take a little longer"
    Of course my work pales in comparison to the work some of you gents show on this forum .

Name:	IMG_20150406_170750900.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	162150
    I didn't know Merit did Rickards Wes!
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I didn't know Merit did Rickards Wes!
    Kyte.
    That would be a great promotion if they threw in a can or 6 with the models.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Already sort of confused by the decals... I thought the stripes on the tail markings are supposed to go all the way down. Anyone see these as tail markings before??

Name:	IMG_20150406_171617960.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	162151
    So any takers on my decal dilemma? Not sure if that's how they're meant to look. I'm guessing no?

I can't find any F4Fs with a red tail as your decals have.

Here's a pretty good site for F4F colors.
    http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/W...F4FColors.html

Lightbulb

Wes

They are not right. It looks like they shorted you on white stripes? There should be 11, 6 red and five white!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f4f_profile.jpg  

LOOP

Finaly I to have a prodject to finish. A Pup and two Dolphins. Pictures will follow

Wes

They are not right. It looks like they shorted you on white stripes? There should be 11, 6 red and five white!

Rich
    There should be 13, seven red and six white (the original 13 States?)

Thanks for the replies guys. I was quite sure the decals were wrong just wanted a second opinion. Sort of unfortunate because I wanted to go with the early war markings for at least 2 if not a 4 of the models. I'll have to see what can be done.

Not 1/144 but I thought I would share!

Really made some headway with the LF70 Naval Eindecker last weekend, now I'm just waiting on Sir Pete to send me the editional decals to finish the fuselage off!

Name:	FB_IMG_1427106400792.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	162300

Name:	FB_IMG_1427106411092.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	162301

Name:	FB_IMG_1428124864861.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	162302

Name:	FB_IMG_1428124870662.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	162303

Name:	FB_IMG_1428207928343.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	162304

Name:	FB_IMG_1428207932788.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	162305

Name:	FB_IMG_1428207941169.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	162306

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, James - that's looking superb! This is going to be so sweet when it's finished, not to mention the 'personalized' paint scheme Is this the 'early' version or 'late' version of the Wingnuts kit?

Keep those pictures coming as you finish aspects of the model. I really look forward to seeing the finished project.

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Wow, James - that's looking superb! This is going to be so sweet when it's finished, not to mention the 'personalized' paint scheme Is this the 'early' version or 'late' version of the Wingnuts kit?

Keep those pictures coming as you finish aspects of the model. I really look forward to seeing the finished project.

All the best,
    Matt
    High Matt, glad you like it.

It's the Fokker E.1 Early kit, however as this is the LF70 Naval Prototype it's had a few modifications made, most significant of which are longer 10.05m wingspan wings and extended fuselage side cowlings.

Name:	Boxtop.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	162307

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I've got a line on a 'late' version at a great price and am debating jumping in to the Wingnuts Experience...

Thanks for letting me know about yours.
    All the best,
    Matt

For my youngest son, a quicky paint job (30 minutes tops) on a 15mm Citadel Aslan for an upcoming Traveller game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    There should be 13, seven red and six white (the original 13 States?)
    It could be either 13 or 11 stripes. (at least that what the angelfire page I linked says)

Some Valom kits. Nieuport 17, AlbatrossDV, Sop pups, SE5A's . Not the easiest kits but fairly cheap.

David

Are the Elves on spring break?

Rich

Never got to see the top of your table before Dave.
    What a super piece of timber, and I love the way the boards are conjoined using Dutchmen in a sort of dovetail, rather than biscuit, or false tonged and groove which we tend to use here in the U.K.
    Rob.

That probably isn't Clipper's table.

I suspect it's the result of a recent collision between a tree and a pack of elves!

Nah he's gone for an extra long flat top, with wooden deck. Just hasn't got round to adding the tower and other details.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Uh-oh . . .
    I warned you trying to build Wonder Woman's Jet wasn't going to work out. >;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your workbench for August?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 11:29
  2. What's on your workbench for July?
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 19:46
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 22:43
  4. What's on your workbench this April 2013?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 15:39
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58