Ares Games

Thread: Looking for convention ideas...

Default Looking for convention ideas...

Guten tag! I will be running at least one demo/game at the local Rincon convention in Tucson Columbus day weekend. I have downloaded all the scenarios from the site, and was wondering what others have done, running a game at a convention with newcomers. I feel it best to follow the KISS principle, but want to make it entertaining as well.

Is it worthwhile running a tourney or even a specific scenario, while introducing the game to those who have never played?

Do you think it is best to just have an open dogfight that people can fly in and out of?

Perhaps a group of bombers flying straight across the board that can protected/attacked?

Also, do you provide prizes/incentives to garner participation? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

James, how long is your time slot and how many slots do you have? Also, I'll be sending you a PM as well.

Cerberus

IMO I say a running dog fight for X time to let everyone get a good feeling of what they are doing. Then let them bust/defend balloons then switch sides. After that you can do a bombers game.

Fill the time slot with lots of planes and fun. People play to shoot things, the more shooting you have the more they have fun. Give a gamer a couple of dice and see what they do with them if you dont believe me

Colonel, I am running 6-8 seats in a four-hour time block. If all goes well I may extend the time or do another one the next day.

Neel, thanks for the tips! I agree with you that people, especially new players, play to shoot and don't want to get bogged down in technicalities. I like the three-tier program you describe, providing lots of shooting while gradually progressing the technical side. It also provides a good mix of the mission types within WoW.

I've run games at the Enfilade convention 2 years now.
    In addition to the above advice, here are some things I've learned:

1. Get rid of the boom card unless you are going to allow shot down players to bring in a new plane. There's nothing more discouraging for a player to commit to a 4 hour time slot then get put out of the game 5 minutes in.
    I generally don't have collisions for the same reason.

2. make your senario scalable. I've never had a game where the number of players who want to play equals the number of players I planned on.

3. I use only the rules that come with the game and no house rules. Some of your players will have played before, others not. It gets confusing to explain changes you've made to both those who know what's going on and those who don't.
    BTW: I've always used altitude rules and never had a problem with people catching on. One of the great things about WoW is after a few turns even the new players will be pretty much running things on their own.

4. Keep the 1st senario simple. A straight fight between scouts is best. If you can attract them back again for another game, then throw in balloon busting or a bombing mission. Note than WoW games can play fast so you might end up running 2 games in a 4 hour time slot.

5. Relax and after the 1st turn or 2 let the players run things on their own with minimal input from you. Often gamers would rather make their own mistakes than get a lot of coaching. (this was a hard one for me to learn).

There's likely many other things, but WoW is an excellent convention game; easy to learn, fast paced and you'll seldom have any problem getting a game done in 4 hours. So have fun.

Pooh

Excellent advice -- thank you Tim!

It's best to drop the boom card for newcomers. If you get return players and you're really feeling spunky do the last flight of Werner Voss everyone against you

Elsewhere on the forum, I proposed a "non-historical" scenario involving a pylon race -- only in this case, the players aren't flying around the outside of the pylons; they are flying through the center of the pylons four times each lap... while shooting at each other....

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    I've run games at the Enfilade convention 2 years now.
    In addition to the above advice, here are some things I've learned:

1. Get rid of the boom card unless you are going to allow shot down players to bring in a new plane. There's nothing more discouraging for a player to commit to a 4 hour time slot then get put out of the game 5 minutes in.
    I generally don't have collisions for the same reason.

2. make your senario scalable. I've never had a game where the number of players who want to play equals the number of players I planned on.

3. I use only the rules that come with the game and no house rules. Some of your players will have played before, others not. It gets confusing to explain changes you've made to both those who know what's going on and those who don't.
    BTW: I've always used altitude rules and never had a problem with people catching on. One of the great things about WoW is after a few turns even the new players will be pretty much running things on their own.

4. Keep the 1st senario simple. A straight fight between scouts is best. If you can attract them back again for another game, then throw in balloon busting or a bombing mission. Note than WoW games can play fast so you might end up running 2 games in a 4 hour time slot.

5. Relax and after the 1st turn or 2 let the players run things on their own with minimal input from you. Often gamers would rather make their own mistakes than get a lot of coaching. (this was a hard one for me to learn).

There's likely many other things, but WoW is an excellent convention game; easy to learn, fast paced and you'll seldom have any problem getting a game done in 4 hours. So have fun.

Pooh
    I agree with Pooh's list. Two additional suggestions;
    Make sure the players are grouped at the table so that they can help each other with the special damage results. It always helps to be able to ask for help from someone on your own side. I have also printed out a couple of copies of the special damage page from the rule books for passing around.

The other one reguards the explosion card. Our league has left them in the deck, and explained them to the new players but let everyone know that they will be ignored when they came up. This way they understand how the game works and that this WOULD have been a game ender for them but because this is their lucky day they just side stepped a close one! It usually generates some good natured camaraderie during the game.

There's a print out either on this site or the yahoo site that has a quick play list of the turn sequence and what the special damage markers mean, all on a single sided page. I print out about half a dozen copies on heavy weight paper and make sure there are some available for each side. It helps speed things up and makes a good quick reference sheet.

Pooh

Cerberus

The first time I saw the game was at Nashcon and the boom card was left in. You re-entered with a new plane the next turn after a shoot down. Lets new players play with several different models of aircraft.

For me, get them into action quick and keep them there games are more fun at conventions than the game that I see with the guys when we have a regular gaming night.

Cerberus

Dola!

I have seen some GM's offer little plaques, trophies, or certificates for "best humor", "worst luck", "best sportsman", ect, ect, ect.

I personally like the certificates idea. I can go to Hobby Lobby/Michaels and find a small package of generic certificates and fill them in myself. I received one for "toxic dice" once. I have it framed and its a conversation piece now.

These are great ideas gentlemen -- thank you so much!

I have those playsheets printed and laminated -- I'll print more out for use at the con. Perhaps I'll print out enough that I can let people hold on to them after the game -- with our squadron contact information on the back! A little advertising never hurts, and taking it home might jar their memory down the line and bring them back.

Cheers!

Thumbs up Looking for convention ideas...

James!

I speak from experience on the subject of Introductory DOW games. I have run them at the last three local conventions! Plus most of the games i have played were learning games for most of the players.
    Use the K.I.S.S. system in all activities! Have everything organized before yo go mainly game play aids and cards! Using altitude rules will confuse new players, i always ask before each game if they will be used!
    In August i played two four hour sessions and managed to play three games in each sessions with 6-8 players in each game. Some players played more than one game but there were always new players in each game! See link.
    My games in August were Battle of Brittan themed with bombing missions in four of the six missions. This type of game has set limits and makes games move quickly.
    I use the boom card it lends to quick games also. I was a victim myself of it`s effect!
    I purchased several off the Aerodrome Accessories prop rulers and handed them out as prizes! They went over big, we used them in the games!
    plus it advertises the Drome!

Rich

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=236

More great ideas!

I wholeheartedly agree with the KISS system! Also, what a great idea -- the prop rulers are a very inexpensive way to say thank you, and advertise the game (and site) at the same time. I will pick up a few.

Thumbs up Looking for convention ideas...

James!

Yes KISS is the only way to fly. Will you be doing WW1 or WW2 games?

Rich

I concentrate on WW1, but the rest of the fellows in my squadron prefer WW2. I'll do WW2 at the con if there is interest -- and if one of my mates shows up with his minis; I only have four (the boxed set) at this point.

Cheers!

I love the suggestion of including the boom card but not having it take out newcomers. A very good way to include the randomness of WW1 dogfights that isn't a game spoiler.

Oh, and I would suggest LOTS of copies of a clear explanation of the symbols on the cards and what the pilot must do. A much more discreet way to sustain damage

I agree!

I can't believe I am going back on my previous opinion not to buy the official game mats, but in the interest of the convention, I think it might be a good idea. While not "historical" or "real" they do add a bit of color that may help the game to stand out on the floor. I am also looking at the mats by Game On (www.gameonterrainmats.com), and if they can ship I may go that route (4'x6'); the cost though is an order of three!

The large logos on the official mats would be helpful at a Con. lol

Ok gentlemen, thank you for all the input and ideas.

I have all the printouts to both aid the players and act as handouts with our squadron contact information. I also purchased several of the prop rulers to hand out as prizes. Tomorrow I am making a new table top (nothing like procrastinating) and hopefully my mats arrive as well. I'll finish sorting out my scenarios and then off to the con.

I'll post next week and let you know how it went -- wish me luck, this is my first go at this!

Cheers!

Cerberus

Fair weather and a willing enemy.

Similar Missions

1. Solo Play Ideas?
    By HendersonDayton in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 13:32
  2. Enfilade Convention in May
    By Pooh in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 09:56