Ares Games

Thread: Extended crew damage (for multi-crew aircraft)

Default Extended crew damage (for multi-crew aircraft)

I've yet to fly any missions with bombers, so my question arises solely from my reading of the rules. I'm curious to learn opinions from experienced pilots.

Page 20 of the WGF RAP contains the Extended Crew Damage option rule; namely when implementing crew hits from damage cards, one would draw from the crew damage chits (according to the remaining crew size) to determine how many crew hits were actually inflicted by that attack (from 1 to 3).

Name:  _MG_6558 REDUCED.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  102.7 KB

Do people generally play with this rule, or do people generally avoid it? Do bombers 'need' the extra vulnerability that this rule would result in? Is there much historical indication of single attacks managing to injure say three out of the four crew of a bomber in a single burst (with WGF in mind here)?

As it's an optional rule I realise that one can choose to include it or not as desired, but I'd be interested in finding out if there's a consensus, and any strong reasons behind the choice.
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 03-19-2015 at 08:21. Reason: To specify WGF

I really prefer this rule for the medium and heavy bombers in WGF & WGS.

When a stream of bullets pierces the fuselage of a heavy bomber, often more the one crew member is injured.

It's a good way to silence some gunners and make the following attacks more easier.

Especially in WGS, pilots hits are rare. So you will not generally depopulate the heavy bombers.

I addition: It makes the crew management more intersting.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I agree with Sven. Especially as crew members were often clustered together in the crew compartment. It's not that much of a stretch to imagine multiple crew hits from a single burst of MG or cannon fire.

I agree with Sven, use these rules. The possibility of multiple crew hits should be present.

LOOP

I have used it but it is a bit prolix (hope I used that word right ) to operate.
    It do have it merits. If you shoot a mashinegun while moving you may well hit sereral targets, say both pilot and gunner, in the same burst.
    You also have the special rule for the rear gunner on the Ca3. He is fully exposed and are more easily hit.
    We have used a simplyfied set of rules for 2-seaters. Shots from behind = gunner hit. Frontal attack = pilot. This is not fully apliable on a bomber crew though.

Certainly played it in scenarios with multiple bombers - with 27pt health and multiple gunners any help is welcome, and if you combined it with a wounded gunner house rule it can give openings without, in itself, being completely devastating.

"He is wise who watches"

I have not used the multiple hit rules to be honest, but is you wish to try it out I'm sure we can accommodate during a game at the Mall Alex.
    Until recently the max big Bombers have been limited to two or three being attacked by a number of scouts, the Bombers do tend to go down without too much difficulty

Didn't help the bomber stream at WMMS. They went down all the same.

I tend to use the numbers for each crew position and then draw either the 1 hit or 2 hit for wounded killed. Same as you would for multiple engines and damage.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. Need some help with Crew damage tokens
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2015, 15:49
  2. 144 Air crew
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 12:46
  3. Little help from the ground crew.
    By Badin23 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 14:16
  4. Multi-crew aeroplane 'Pilot Injured' chances?
    By Avetikus in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 18:42
  5. Crew Wounded
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 05:14