Ares Games

Thread: OTT ED Mission 10 - Three Bridges to Victory - 19th October 1916

Default OTT ED Mission 10 - Three Bridges to Victory - 19th October 1916

Oberleutnant Biettruoffen called his men together again. “Don’t get cocky just because we gave the RFC a bloody nose at Flers. There are rumours going round that the RFC have a new toy. Faster and agile and deadly. So keep your eyes peeled today. Today we are going to bomb the same 3 bridges that Jasta 32, The Kestrels, bombed two days ago. Now can anyone identify where these bridges are in the sector? You’ve all flown that sector so come on...here’s the first:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	160068

“Well done Sidweg, and for that you get to lead this jaunt today” The rest laughed at Sidwegs obvious discomfort. “I have also decided that Sidweg will be my 2nd in command and I’m glad GHQ agree, and with of course the rank of Hauptmann. Now to the 2nd....

Name:	bridge 2.jpg 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	160069

"We are getting good now this one"

Name:	bridge 3.jpg 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	160070

"Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. I’m surprised not one of you recognises London Bridge, in London.

Ok this one"

Name:	german bridge.jpg 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	160071

"No you dolts this is the bridge in the town I grew up in.

Lastly"

Name:	bridge 3 real one this time.jpg 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	160072

"Good."

Oberleutnant Biettrutoffen began, “The English salient into our lines was formed from what was initially a bridgehead over the river Ancre. It is the desire of GHQ that this salient be eradicated and the line straightened out to the river line and that area to be subsequently used as a springboard for an offensive on the enemy's flank. To that end we have been aiming our efforts into this exact action but so far it seems that no matter what we throw at them the enemy resists all our exertions. This is frustrating to say the least but more importantly there is a danger that it will begin draining our resources that are desperately needed for the successive operations. “ He paused for breath
    “This resistance has thus far been somewhat of a mystery as shortly after the bridgehead was established we destroyed the three bridges that crossed the river effectively cutting off the bridgehead, whilst we accept there is a chance of supplies being ferried across the river there should not be such a flow as to support and replenish the troops there let alone supply the replacements that seem to appear in the area. Luckily we now have the answer to the riddle. Information has been received from the Intelligence Corps that might just explain what has been going on. A well placed and trusted source (subsequently identified as the renowned female spy Fatamari aka Fifi la Fan) has identified that the enemy has built an 'underwater bridge' alongside one of the three destroyed bridges over which many men and supplies are moved during the hours of darkness - this explains why our frequent reconnaissance has not seen any movement or bridging structures. The enemy has also been very cunning by not drawing attention to the area with by locating any anti aircraft weapons around the bridges concerned or being overly protective of the airspace above them. The only thing we don't know now is which one is the bridge concerned; it is therefore proposed that you will bomb all three downed bridges to ensure we get the job done. We practice today and bomb the bridges tomorrow”

“Oh great another low level run in” Sidweg advanced rather loudly. “Not at all , not at all! The enemy are used to seeing reconnaissance flights at high levels and so it is proposed that the bombing will be conducted at that high level.” Ludwig looked around at the astonished faces. “Hence the practice today, now to your aircraft, get some practice bombs and start practicing. A target has been laid out in a field near here. Fly to altitude and get it right, we only have today for tomorrow we must destroy that bridge.”

“Jurgen I will drop mine like this Ja?

Name:	dropping bommbs.jpg 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	160073

“Look, this is how you drop bombs you clot”

Name:	drop bombs 2.jpg 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	160074

“Now that you have had your practice, with varying degrees of success I might add, get some sleep. It’s a dawn attack, to keep in line with our recce flights over the salient.”

Tomorrow morning.

Name:	alb 4.jpg 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	160075

The crews head for their aircraft.

Hauptmann Sidweg Fettlemeir

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 041 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	160076

Leutnant Jacob Strum and Feldwbel Jurgen Maas

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 040 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	160077

Leutnant Karl Toffeleiter and Leutnant Johanne Zweibelsuppe

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 044 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	160078

It was not long before they were climbing to the required altitude and heading for the target salient bridges.

Meanwhile on the other side:

2Lt Thomas Keeble was pleased to be flying his new Spad VII (Green), alongside him was 2Lt Stephen Wheeler (Blue), just returned to duty after being wounded in a small fracas against the Eagles. Their mission to fly near to but not over the new salient but engage any enemy aircraft over the salient, especially in the vicinity of the bridges.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 042 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	160079

Captain Boniface Liberace was also in the area. A French Ace also flying a Spad VII in his distinctive colours.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 043 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	160080

‘Sacre Bleau! Merde, Beuffe’ Cried Boniface as by instinct he threw the Spad left as a British Spad passed under his wingtip. Keeble had only just spotted the French Spad as he climbed up under him and threw his Spad to one side at the last moment. A string of expletives were lost in the slipstream as he shook his fist at the disappearing French pilot.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 045 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	160081

Sidweg moved to cover the Roland’s rear.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 046 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	160082

Bursts of instinctive firing, bullets shredding their way through fuselages and wings, two aircraft on fire.
    “Gott in Himmel, what was that Jurgen? I’ve got more holes in my flying jacket than a colander and its brand new!”

“Some Flying Corps pilot in a new type not seen before, just popped up in front, we both fired and hey ho we’re on fire!”
    “So is he my friend, so is he, good shooting. Now don’t fly straight and we might just be lucky with the fire!”
    Lt Wheeler was struggling with his Spad as the fire licked along the engine cowling towards the cockpit.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 047 (480x640).jpg 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	160083

“Another one, Frenchy this time, get some of this”, taka taka taka

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 049 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	160084

Jurgen could hear the rear parabellum chunking out its hail of death “Damn we missed the target, have to go round again”. He shouted to Strum in the back still busy covering the two Entente planes behind the Roland.
    Meanwhile, Toffeleiter had lined up perfectly on the target, the north bridge, and the bomb went directly where it was supposed to. “Nice one Johanne”, “No, good flying Karl”.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 051 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	160085

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 058 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	160086

Boniface waited then fired, “Good hit mon amis” He said to no-one in particular.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 052 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	160087

Sidweg had already fired at the new enemy type as it passed him as the bullets banged into his fuselage from the left, ‘damn, it’s the frenchman’ he said to himself. His rudder control felt slack as he tried to control the Albatros.

Boniface was having fun, he was singing the Marseilles at full throttle when the Rumpler came into his sites, he forgot all about the Albatros and went for an easy kill. “Je suis bon-bon, here we go, takakaaclunk.....” His gun jammed mid-stream. Banging on the drum and uttering a flurry of curses the Rumpler slipped by.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 054 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	160088

Sidweg was not having it all his own way an enemy pilot had got onto his tail but he heard the tell tale clunk as the lewis either jammed or was out of bullets. Keeble cursed his luck, the new fangled interupter gear had jammed or the new fangled belt had stuck in the breech of the new fangled vickers gun. He wished he had his lewis gun instead.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 055 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	160089

Boniface was not looking as Jurgen guided the Rumpler to almost touching distance before giving Boniface some of his own medicine in return.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 056 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	160090

Every time Jurgen lined up on a target he had to veer away to stop the flames getting worse, but they had been lucky up to now.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 059 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	160091

Jurgen fired again at the French plane as Keeble closing fast let rip a long range burst towards the Rumpler but his own fire put off his aim.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 060 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	160092

Sidweg did not see the enemy as he flipped the DII round until bullets started passing his plane, luckily nothing was hit. Wheeler’s aim was being put off by the fire threatening to engulf his Spad which was getting more intense.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 062 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	160093

Jurgen was having fun toying with the Frenchman. He put more holes into it than any other aircraft he had fired at before. The close range helping him. His aim was in now and he was going for the kill. Boniface felt something hit the back of his helmet, he lost consciousness.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 063 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	160094

The Spad spiralled into the ground

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 064 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	160095

Sidweg flipped round again to be caught by the enemy pilot at close range. A loud bang came from his engine and he knew that he had been hit bad, he also realised that he too had been hit bad. Keeble senses his first kill was close but he forgot about the other two German aircraft and paid the price for his lax concentration.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 065 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	160096

Lt Keeble was overjoyed, he knew he had clobbered the Hun hard. What he didn’t expect was the weight of bullets that hit his Spad from the right. Jurgen had lined up his target well and fired just before Toffeleiter blocked his view in the Rumpler.
    Lt Wheeler had had enough the flames were well established and he headed over the lines towards home.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 068 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	160097

Jurgen closed in for another kill and fired at close range into the side of the Spad. Keeble could only watch in horror as the reaper approached.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 070 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	160098

Keebles Spad caught fire and the controls went slack as the stricken Spad flipped over and spiralled earthward.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 071 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	160099

With no enemy aircraft in sight the two 2 seaters finished the job, bombed the remaining bridges and went home for tea, well schnapps and bickies.

The Butchers Bill

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 073 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	160100

Hauptman Sidweg Fettlemieir: 6 dam/WIA/RTB

Feldwebel Jurgen Maas: RTB/8 dam/1 kill: Leutnant Jacob Strum: RTB/1 bridge bombed
    Leutnant Karl Toffeleiter: RTB/1 dam/1 kill: Leutnant Johanne Zweibelsuppe: RTB/2 bridges bombed

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 074 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	160101

Captain Boniface Liberace: SD/ET/12 damage/WIA

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 075 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	160102
    2nd Lieutenant Keeble: SD/ET/13 damage/Fire

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 076 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	160103

2nd Lieutenant Wheeler: RTB/10 damage
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 03-13-2015 at 13:09.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Somebody will probably tell me and I'll change it if I'm wrong, the Spad...vickers or lewis?

To tired to worry at present will change it if wrong later.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Somebody will probably tell me and I'll change it if I'm wrong, the Spad...vickers or lewis?

To tired to worry at present will change it if wrong later.
    Vickers with Birkigt synchronization gear.

Good win for the CP, Neil. The low-angle photography added nicely to the frenetic action!
    Last edited by fast.git; 03-13-2015 at 12:13. Reason: Spelling... always with the spelling...

Nice victory Neil - it seems the CP have the upper hand at present

Atmospheric photos too

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post

Good win for the CP, Neil. The low-angle photography added nicely to the frenetic action!
    Something is beginning to tell me that despite our nice new shiny Spads, the Allies are overmatched in this particular scenario. Your pilots played a blinder there Neil.
    My chaps are going to spend the next few weeks practicing high level bombing runs.
    No wonder the offensive ground to a halt.
    Hope the counter offensive gets bogged down with the onset of winter, or we are in real trouble.
    Well done! A splendid tale told expertly.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think I got the only ref to a lewis gun and changed it to the new fangled vickers thingymajig.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I think I got the only ref to a lewis gun and changed it to the new fangled vickers thingymajig.
    Well you can't expect in all that turmoil and heat of the action that the Germans know what machine gun is chewing bits off their tails Neil.
    Some Hun obviously got it wrong in his OP report.
    Kyte.

I'll get m'dice !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hptn Sidweg Fettlemieir: 6 dam/WIA/RTB/0kills: Rolled 6 +3RTB -1WIA = 8 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario

Captain Boniface Liberace: SD/ET/12 damage/WIA/0 kills:
    2nd Lieutenant Keeble: SD/ET/13 damage/Fire:

As a SPAD VII has 15HP I have determined that both these pilots are OK and are probable kills - their death rolls out of the combat area were convincing enough for them to slip away - one with engine damage and one on fire. Wily pilot skills

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Good news Dave.
    I look forward with relish to following the doings of Captain Boniface Liberace in future episodes.
    Kyte.

Cocked up on that one Dave. Some of the dam cards were plus one but forgot to annotate as such. Pressure of combat and all that. So I'll take the good news and look forward to meeting those chaps in the air again .

You did well to knock out two in a day mate - besides it lets you get another crack at them !

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Good news Dave.
    I look forward with relish to following the doings of Captain Boniface Liberace in future episodes.
    Kyte.
    I wonder if he plays piano in the Officers Mess?

Smile

Very evocative story for that one Neil.
    I think your Huns have a secret Bomb sight or that days practice really paid off.

Mate we have enough problems without you reducing our Damage Points!

I'd send Rep but I have to spread it around first.

A badly needed CP win. Good to see someone can hit the bridges properly. (I know I can't!)

Nice one Neil,
    I particularly liked the bridges quiz in the briefing.
    Nice to see a Roland getting an outing, I do like the old Walfisch!

A nice finish to my Saturday morning AAR reading.
    Nice to see the side I'll likely be flying for someday pull one out for a change ...

P.S. forgot to mention the bonus points for the bridges preamble
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 07-25-2015 at 11:42. Reason: P.S. added

Similar Missions

1. AAR Mission 10 - Three Bridges to Victory - 19th October 1916. 52Sq. The Bulldogs.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-25-2015, 12:07
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 23:44
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 05:03
  4. AAR OTT Final Months - Mission 12: Curiosity May Kill, 19th October 1918
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 07:21
  5. AAR Mission 12 OTTFM - Curiosity May Kill . 19th October 1918