Ares Games

Thread: SE5a - too fast?

Default SE5a - too fast?

I tried out the SE5a today and found that it is so fast that I found it difficult to position. I much prefer the Snipes slightly lower speed and much more nimble movement. Is it just because I am a new player and the Snipe is an easier plane to fly, or is the SE5a too fast in some circumstances?

Smile

Hi back DavyZee. The SE 5a and the SPAD XIII are the two fastest aircraft in the game.
    I also find them a liitle more difficult to fly because of the extra distance they deliver with each manoeuvre. However, when you're flying alone and decide to "pull a William Barker VC" by attacking a large group of Albatros it certainly helps to have the extra legs to get-out after you have stirred-up the hornets nest.

Nevertheless I think that both aircraft are an acquired taste. I am just guessing, but I think that even more experienced players prefer slightly slower, more all-around aircraft like the Fokker D.VII, Sopwith Camel and Sopwith Snipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Hi back DavyZee. The SE 5a and the SPAD XIII are the two fastest aircraft in the game.
    I also find them a liitle more difficult to fly because of the extra distance they deliver with each manoeuvre. However, when you're flying alone and decide to "pull a William Barker VC" by attacking a large group of Albatros it certainly helps to have the extra legs to get-out after you have stirred-up the hornets nest.

Nevertheless I think that both aircraft are an acquired taste. I am just guessing, but I think that even more experienced players prefer slightly slower, more all-around aircraft like the Fokker D.VII, Sopwith Camel and Sopwith Snipe.
    As Bruce said the SE5a and SPAD are an acquired taste. You have to like a style of fighting that uses slashing attacks where you hit your enemy then separate using your speed to disengage and then quickly reengage to hit them again. However, the SE5a does have an advantage over the SPAD by being more maneuverable, giving it some capability to press an attack in a turning fight when the situation is right.

Simply put its a Boom and Zoom plane, hit and run, repeat as required.

Steve

My SO has this problem -- she is forever misjudging how far she has to move on a turn, and ends up overlapping cards with me.

You can put the cat amongst the pigeons by executing the odd stall to take some speed off, and hold that attacking position. It really upsets the opponent when he thinks he has the hang of your extra speed, and suddenly you aint where he thinks you should be. Don't use it too often though. Keep the element of suprise going.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The SE5a was even faster than the SPAD XIII(133 mph vs 116 mph of the Fokker DVII or the 115 of the Camel) so it's right to have some more speed for the SE5a and the SPAD

Quote Originally Posted by Von Pupp View Post
    The SE5a was even faster than the SPAD XIII(133 mph vs 116 mph of the Fokker DVII or the 115 of the Camel) so it's right to have some more speed for the SE5a and the SPAD
    I'm not questioning the accuracy of giving the SE5a so much speed, only my ability to handle that much horsepower!

Sorry my english is not so good

Your english is far better than my Italian!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith Todd
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    As Bruce said the SE5a and SPAD are an acquired taste. You have to like a style of fighting that uses slashing attacks where you hit your enemy then separate using your speed to disengage and then quickly reengage to hit them again. However, the SE5a does have an advantage over the SPAD by being more maneuverable, giving it some capability to press an attack in a turning fight when the situation is right.
    This was my experience using the SE5a yesterday in two sorties. Only I do not consider it an acquired taste, it just damn powerful plane to fly and fight with!!

Keith

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

I've had the SE5a for a couple of years, I have 3 Skytrex metal minis. It's true that you have to use boom & zoom with the SE5a, but with the 90 degree turns and wide side slips you can pop a few surprise maneuvers on people with them.

Plus the speed helps you get out of trouble, especially against a DrI.

Last afternoon my brother used against me some Se5s and i must say that he TOTALLY destroyed my albatros DIIIs but he HAD some positioning problems

I am reading a book about William Barker VC, a famous Canadian Ace (50 victories). He flew in Belgium, France, and also, for most of his scout carreer, in Italy from Nov 1917 to Sep 1918.

In the book it compares the SE 5a against the Sopwith Camel. The Camel was a fast and very manoeuvreable aircraft but it was very difficult to fly; many were destroyed by accidents in training and on operational take-offs and landings. The SE 5a was easier to fly; had great speed; and was stronger. According to the author, 690 Camels were shot-down over enemy territory compared-to only 321 SE 5a's. I think that the extra speed and strength of the SE 5a made it an aircraft that saved the lives of its pilots. Also, it had only 1 Vickers gun and 1 Lewis gun; perhaps if it had 2 Vickers guns it would have achieved more "Kills" like the Camel.

I made a flat paper mini of the Se5a last year and flew it several times. I managed to get an ace quickly with it using the in and out attacks. My favorite maneuver was by far the 90 degree LEFT turn. When using the planes in time line brackets, this one maneuver becomes really important in a fight where everyone else tends to turn right because of the rotory engines. Left turn - Straight - Immelmann is a nasty combo in a close fight as you turn away move out of range and back in range usually looking at a nice profile shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    I made a flat paper mini of the Se5a last year and flew it several times. I managed to get an ace quickly with it using the in and out attacks. My favorite maneuver was by far the 90 degree LEFT turn. When using the planes in time line brackets, this one maneuver becomes really important in a fight where everyone else tends to turn right because of the rotory engines. Left turn - Straight - Immelmann is a nasty combo in a close fight as you turn away move out of range and back in range usually looking at a nice profile shot!
    Nice tactics! I'll have to try that out. (Wolfbiter, ignore this thread... )

I haven't picked up the Se-5a yet though I have 2 reviesco ones that I'ver used with mixed success. They fly well but, for me, attract the "boom" card with distressing regularity.

I plan to try and introduce David's altitude rules to my group. I think that will make hard diving planes like the Spad and SE-5a really come alive.

Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    I haven't picked up the Se-5a yet though I have 2 reviesco ones that I'ver used with mixed success. They fly well but, for me, attract the "boom" card with distressing regularity.

I plan to try and introduce David's altitude rules to my group. I think that will make hard diving planes like the Spad and SE-5a really come alive.

Pooh
    RE: Altitude rules. They look like fun, but I have enough trouble flying in two dimensions, let alone 3...

Hi DavyZee. Charlie 3 has shared with us a very nice manoeuvre sequence. I have copied "Left - Straight - Immelmann" into my book of nasty tricks for the SE 5a.

It sounds like it is a winner. I assume, unfortunately for you, that Wolfbiter is a memeber of this site. So far none of the players in my group are memebers of this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Hi DavyZee. Charlie 3 has shared with us a very nice manoeuvre sequence. I have copied "Left - Straight - Immelmann" into my book of nasty tricks for the SE 5a.

It sounds like it is a winner. I assume, unfortunately for you, that Wolfbiter is a memeber of this site. So far none of the players in my group are memebers of this site.
    Wolfbiter is a member of the site, and he just got his SE5a yesterday... I'll have to save it until he flies his favorite Albatross.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZee View Post
    Nice tactics! I'll have to try that out. (Wolfbiter, ignore this thread... )
    What thread? (/scribbles notes furiously....)

It's funny...I also took the SE5a for a spin at Dave Zee's place this week, and tend to agree with his assessment.

In game play terms, the SE5a has powerful maneuver cards and speed, but the number of steep moves in the deck makes it tricky for a novice to plan effective attacks. Whereas the Sopwith Camel may be slower, but is easier to learn to play effectively. Oddly, that seems the exact opposite of the 'real life' comparison of the two planes that I've read described in WWI books!

I did get mine (Boudwin) yesterday...wow, the insignia and details look first-rate, though.

Now, if there's one thing Dave Zee and I do agree on, though...we both completely dig the Sopwith Snipe...must resist switching sides...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbiter View Post

In game play terms, the SE5a has powerful maneuver cards and speed, but the number of steep moves in the deck makes it tricky for a novice to plan effective attacks. Whereas the Sopwith Camel may be slower, but is easier to learn to play effectively. Oddly, that seems the exact opposite of the 'real life' comparison of the two planes that I've read described in WWI books!
    There is quite a difference in playing the Sopwith Camel and the real flying of one. The game assumes that the pilots flying it are keeping it under control. The torque generated by the Camel's radial engine, which gave it the ability to make and hold sharp right turns, also could quickly throw it into a spin in the hands of a novice pilot with all too often tragic results. The SE5a was a very stable aircraft due to its design and v-engine, making it easier to fly and more forgiving in the hands of a novice. That's why books make the comparison that they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    There is quite a difference in playing the Sopwith Camel and the real flying of one. The game assumes that the pilots flying it are keeping it under control. The torque generated by the Camel's radial engine, which gave it the ability to make and hold sharp right turns, also could quickly throw it into a spin in the hands of a novice pilot with all too often tragic results. The SE5a was a very stable aircraft due to its design and v-engine, making it easier to fly and more forgiving in the hands of a novice. That's why books make the comparison that they do.
    Makes sense! I'm glad there's no in-game rule for Albatros wings shredding in a dive as they reportedly did in real combat sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbiter View Post
    Makes sense! I'm glad there's no in-game rule for Albatros wings shredding in a dive as they reportedly did in real combat sometimes!
    You can just assume that is the result from your explosion card...or you could make up a special damage deck just for the albatrosessess. with several wing removal cards inserted

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    You can just assume that is the result from your explosion card...or you could make up a special damage deck just for the albatrosessess. with several wing removal cards inserted
    We need a special damage deck just for you Charlie, with several extra explosion cards that have the subtext "You once again have plotted a series of moronic maneuvers resulting in your total annihilation.”
    Last edited by LGKR; 09-23-2010 at 08:29.

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post
    We need a special damage deck just for you Charlie, with several extra explosion cards that have the subtext "You have once again have plotted a series of moronic maneuvers resulting in your total annihilation.”
    My own deck! Really??

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

Once you can show up again, you'll get it.

I love the SE5. Jeff J had some problems with it, mostly trying to get back INTO the fray
    I was doing very well until with 2 damage I drew the POPCORN card Which was actually a seat belt strap breaking and aircraft and I becoming separated. . . .
    Then I took the Pfalz and did pretty good against the SE's Snipes and Camels. Two missions two kills. . . .

I can't wait to get a hold of the SE5a models I believe the speed is a good advantage in WOW. It will take over from my current preference of the Spad 13.

John B

My SPAD XIII flights have sometimes been exciting waltzes with the edges of tables. I cannot wait to get in the seat of the SE5 to see if I can do any better.

Well, my son is a better hi-speed flyer than me. He actually likes the Spad the best, but flew the SE5a very well. Oh yeah, he's 8.

I'll stick with my new fave - the DVII. That plane can turn on a dime, and give you 3 cents change. And the non-stall stall followed by Immelman? Tasty!

I'll stick with my new fave - the DVII. That plane can turn on a dime, and give you 3 cents change. And the non-stall stall followed by Immelman? Tasty!
    Dave, I'm afraid that is not a legal combination of moves. In order to do an Immelmann, you must do a Straight - Immelmann - Straight. If you look closely at that none steep stall card, it does not have the straight maneuver icon (a forward facing arrow) on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Dave, I'm afraid that is not a legal combination of moves. In order to do an Immelmann, you must do a Straight - Immelmann - Straight. If you look closely at that none steep stall card, it does not have the straight maneuver icon (a forward facing arrow) on it.
    I agree with the Colonel. The maneuver (using the short straight) is not legal. Hunter and I discussed the use of the short straight for the Immelmann, and came up with the same conclusion. Also, keep in mind the logistics of the Immelmann maneuver - you need to build speed in the beginning to be able to execute the move, so slowing down with the first move would make the maneuver nearly impossible.

On another note, I'm anxious to get my own SE5a and put it to the test. Once I've had a chance to fly it in various combat situations I'll evaluate it and add it to the Tactical analysis thread. Sounds like a fun plane to fly to me.

Scott

Hmmm. That's a bummer. Where is the icon that differentiates between a short strait and a long strait? The only arrow I noticed was the arrow you match your plane's arrow with, and they look the same to me, they just have a shorter flight distance. Is it in the bottom corner? (I'm at work, and don't have the card handy).

Still love the DVII, especially with Udet's conservative paint scheme.

Hmmm. That's a bummer. Where is the icon that differentiates between a short strait and a long strait? The only arrow I noticed was the arrow you match your plane's arrow with, and they look the same to me, they just have a shorter flight distance. Is it in the bottom corner? (I'm at work, and don't have the card handy).

Still love the DVII, especially with Udet's conservative paint scheme.
    Yes, Dave, it is located in the lower left corner of the card. You will see the letter of the Maneuver deck and then either a left arrow, right arrow, straight arrow, stall/steep diamond, climb arrow, dive arrow or, in this rare case, nothing at all.

Scott
    Last edited by Goering Ace; 09-24-2010 at 07:49. Reason: Oops. Forgot the dive and climb arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    Yes, Dave, it is located in the lower left corner of the card. You will see the letter of the Maneuver deck and then either a left arrow, right arrow, straight arrow, stall/steep diamond or, in this rare case, nothing at all.

Scott
    Gotcha. Thanks!

I guess its one of those instances - if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. I should be happy with those ridiculous short left and right turns. And I am!

Gotcha. Thanks!

I guess its one of those instances - if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. I should be happy with those ridiculous short left and right turns. And I am!
    LOL!! You got that right. Those short turns are more than enough to make the D.VII the deadliest plane in the sky. It's also MY favorite plane.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    LOL!! You got that right. Those short turns are more than enough to make the D.VII the deadliest plane in the sky. It's also MY favorite plane.

Scott
    Good taste...

Who do I have to beg to get a Udet DVII avatar?

Gotcha. Thanks!

Using them just before the opposite side's 90* turns work really well together!

Good taste...

Who do I have to beg to get a Udet DVII avatar?
    Me, then I have to beg the man him self, Andrea.

Me, then I have to beg the man him self, Andrea.
    Then, by all means, consider yourself, and Andrea, begged.

Please?

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Well, my son is a better hi-speed flyer than me. He actually likes the Spad the best, but flew the SE5a very well. Oh yeah, he's 8.

Quote Originally Posted by col hajj
    You can do a split-s with a stall - immelman - staight. But you can't use the short non-steep straight in the DVII deck as a stall. I think Andrea mentioned that somewhere around here that the non-steep short straight in the DVII is not a stall card.

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post
    You can do a split-s with a stall - immelman - staight. But you can't use the short non-steep straight in the DVII deck as a stall. I think Andrea mentioned that somewhere around here that the non-steep short straight in the DVII is not a stall card.
    If I understand correctly, noone is saying that it is a stall, but it does not have the up arrow designation in the bottom left corner - a prerequisite for an Immelman. At least that is what I think I understand.

Victor is trying to point out that the non steep stall card is not actually a stall, and can not be used for things such as Engine Damaged and the like. Not what we were discussing, but a good point to bring out.

First fight using the SE% today. Great speed that takes some getting used to, but being able to break off combat and control your return are worth the learning curve.

Yeasterday I practiced bombing with the SE5a. It is very fast, many times I missed the target when bombs fell far behind, but soon it began to work.

Similar Missions

1. Nieuports, SE5a & Jamage.
    By flash in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 11:19
  2. SE5a guns and SE5
    By IRM in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 13:14
  3. Immelman too fast?
    By aikavaras in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3