Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War/Glory at the Family Game Store, 9 Feb '15

Default Wings of War/Glory at the Family Game Store, 9 Feb '15

I've been remiss in my AAR postings. I'll make amends as best as I can, when I can.

To that end, here is my place-holder for yesterday evening's game. I'll post more, hopefully later today.

We decided to go with an oddball for the opening dogfight - the all unofficial models fight!

Yes, that is, from top to bottom, an AGO C.I, a Junkers J.I, a Hansa-Brandenburg CC, and another Junkers J.I.

Versus a motley collection of British planes... I think it was three Pups, two 1 1/2 Strutters, and an Avro 504.

More to follow...
    Last edited by jbmacek; 02-10-2015 at 06:12.

Very nice, particularly the great map, awaiting the next installment.

Right away, three British planes make for the AGO. A wise move, given its slow speed and minimal combat prowess (especially compared to the J.Is and CC).

Anthony (in the CC) and I (in the lower J.I) mix it up with an Avro and a 1 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    Very nice, particularly the great map, awaiting the next installment.
    Since it always gets commented on, this time I thought I'd take a picture of its maker.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    ...We decided to go with an oddball for the opening dogfight - the all unofficial models fight!...

...Yes, that is, from top to bottom, an AGO C.I, a Junkers J.I, a Hansa-Brandenburg CC, and another Junkers J.I....

...Versus a motley collection of British planes... I think it was three Pups, two 1 1/2 Strutters, and an Avro 504...
    It would certainly take quite a bit of happenstance to bring these disparate kites together! Looking forward to further installments and the ultimate resolution of this engagement.

The AGO has turned the tables!

I will admit, Robert acquitted himself quite well with the AGO. And back toward the center of the map, we have a minor furball with Will and Anthony up against Todd, Patrick and Max. Where am I? My guns jammed, so I moved away in hopes of getting them cleared while not getting shot.

Group shot.

Back in the thick of it, with two British planes in flames.

Anthony soon joins them.

Will downs a Pup. A Pup with no previous damage! That's one A explosion gone.

Oooh, look. Sepia!
    Nice!

Will downs a Pup. A Pup with no previous damage! That's one A explosion gone.
    An outstanding shot! And an unlucky tragedy... ...depending, of course, upon one's perspective.

A turn or so later and we've had a few casualties. Both Anthony in the CC and Robert in the AGO are gone, as is another British machine. This leaves the two J.Is up against a Pup, a Strutter and an Avro.

Will gets a kill with the second A explosion. Things are looking up for the Germans.

But then Will finds the first B deck explosion!

I swing by my foes. I'm undamaged, but so is the Pup.

Making a loop, I then bank left and find the Strutter in my sights. I think Paul said the 5 and 4 were both from me. It is now one on one.

Adam pulls in behind me. I know there is one last explosion in the B deck, but I figure if I can loop back onto him, I can take him. He will get at most two Bs into me before I can Immelmann back around. (I pulled one B prior to this, but it was a 0.)

And... what do you know. I found the explosion.

Oh well. It was a fun battle, and surprisingly evenly matched, given the odd combination of kites.

Up next... Handley Pages!

4 BOOM cards... brutal. And Will found three! That's some crazy kind of luck.

Love to see the unofficial kites... and Handley Pages! More than worth the waiting for...

Very exciting from start to bloody end. I bet the players got a real buzz from that one.
    Well done to both sides.
    Who did you sat did the mats John?

Just kidding!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Really great game there John. Everyone must have got a buzz from that.

Bring on the H-P O/400's!

Thanks. That was a fun one, to be certain. And it lasted awhile, too. I think we finished up at 7:30, so maybe an hour and 15 minutes.

And as always, a huge amount of the effort here comes from my fellow players. Todd's mat always gets attention, but I'd also like to point out Anthony's home made cards. Take a look!

And someone always have some interesting cool new plane they've painted. I'm lucky to have fallen in with such a fun group.

Mission Two, the Handley Page Attack.

Wherein Anthony takes two HPs up against seven Fokker D.VIIs.

Yes, we are one angry looking group of planes.

I broke to my right, expecting them to head that direction. But they didn't. Oops. No worries. I've dealt with bombers before, and I know how fast they can be.

Things got hot fairly quickly.

And I'm setting myself up from a run on the left-hand HP.

They make good targets. This guy is soaking up some A cards. And his companion has taken rather extensive engine damage.

A few more rounds at close range...

And scratch one HP!

The others gang up on the remaining HP, and... well... I'd call that a bit of overkill.

That one went so quickly we had time for another. So we reset, only this time with fewer German planes, since we lost a couple of players.

More later...
    Last edited by jbmacek; 02-10-2015 at 17:15.

Handley Page, repeat. This time I set up in the middle. With less than an hour left, this is probably going to be a quick one, so I want to go out in a blaze of glory.

I got my blaze on!

We are all missing those extra D.VIIs now. If I recall correctly, we've lost one of our number, and decided to allow respawns, so he is about to return on the edge of the board.

I didn't take much damage from the enemy machineguns. The fire? Well, that's another story. 12 points! Enough to take me out of action.

My attention was drawn away from the action while I rummaged through my planes looking for something to return with. From the looks of it, we downed one HP.

While I was readying a CL.II, the game ended with a bang. A good thing, because time was running out at the game store.

And so ends another night of Wings of War & Glory at Ye Olde Savage Mill.

Stay turned for... the game from two months ago, which I doubt I'll remember much of, but I'll post some highlights.

Great report, planes and mat. Thanks, I thoroughly enjoyed the action.

Nice to see the old HPs in action even if they did take a bashing.
    It didn't help there cause when they drew all those "Bang" cards.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Please thank your friends for such a nice mix of well turned out planes and this photo share in your evening. The bombers looked very impressive too.

Good to see the HP in play, like the look a lot.
    Thanks for the AA report

Looks like a fun night of action.

Thanks!

And zenlizard, we aren't too far from Gaithersburg. Second Monday of the month. C'mon out and join us!

Similar Missions

1. 12 May '14 at The Family Game Store
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 10:35
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49
  3. A Bit of WWII at The Family Game Store
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 05:15
  4. Gothas in May at The Family Game Store