Ares Games

Thread: Color Plates: Supermarine Spitfire

Default Color Plates: Supermarine Spitfire

And now a few of the most beautiful aircraft to have taken wing...

Spitfire Mk Ia P9398 (Coded KL-B) flown by F/O A.C. Deere of No 54 Sqn, May 1940, Battle of France

Alan Christopher Deere is possibly New Zealand’s most famous fighter pilot of the Second World War. He was also one of the luckiest, surviving several near-death experiences to become one of the outstanding pilots of the Battle of Britain.

In mid-May of 1940, Deere destroyed six Luftwaffe aircraft over Dunkirk (and was shot down himself), and claimed another eight between July and September 1940 during the Battle of Britain.

A short tour of the United States teaching fighter tactics to American pilots was followed by command of a Canadian Spitfire squadron and, in February 1943, an appointment as Wing Leader at RAF Biggin Hill. During his tenure at Biggin Hill, Deere led more than 120 sorties, and earned a DSO, before going on to command the Free French fighter wing through D-Day and the liberation of France.

Deere finished the war as New Zealand’s second-highest-scoring air ace – behind Colin Gray – with 22 confirmed victories, 10 probable victories and 18 damaged. During the war he was awarded a DSO and DFC & Bar and, in May 1945, an Order of the British Empire (OBE). Deere went on have a prestigious post-war career, including service as Aide-de-camp to Queen Elizabeth II in 1962.

After his death on 21 September 1995, Alan Deere’s ashes were scattered over the River Thames from a Spitfire.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Spitfire Mk I P9386 (Coded QV-K) flown by Sqn Ldr B.J.E. Lane of No 19 Sqn, Summer 1940

Shortly before the outbreak of war, Brian John Edward Lane joined No. 19 Squadron RAF at RAF Duxford as an Officer Commanding "A" Flight, flying Spitfires. He assumed the role of acting Squadron commander on 25 May 1940 when the incumbent CO was killed.

By September 1940, during the peak of the Battle of Britain, Lane’s abilities as a fighter pilot and leader were duly recognized and he was promoted to Squadron Leader. Lane's No. 19 Squadron RAF often operated together with No. 242 Squadron RAF part of the controversial Duxford "Big Wing."

In November 1941 Lane was posted on a staff appointment to the Middle East, but returned to England in June 1942. In December 1942, Lane joined No. 167 Squadron (Spitfire Mk. V) as Squadron Leader. He made his first (and only) operational flight with the Squadron on 13 December 1942, during which he was last seen giving chase to two Focke-Wulf 190 fighters over the North Sea. He never returned from this mission and was listed as MIA. It is probable he was a victim of Oblt. Leonhardt of 6./JG 1 and crashed into the sea 30 km west of Schouwen.

During Lane’s operational career he was awarded the DFC and claimed 6 (and 1 shared) enemy aircraft shot down, 2 unconfirmed destroyed, 1 probable destroyed and 1 damaged.

Lane was the author of Spitfire!, originally published in 1942 under the pseudonym B.J. Ellan. The book is a first-hand account of his experiences as a Spitfire pilot and is one of only a few autobiographical accounts of a Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot. A revised edition was republished in 2009 and again in 2011, replacing the code words used by the war time censor and correcting names of people and places.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Spitfire Mk Ia N3267 (Coded XT-S) flown by F/Lt J.C. Boulter of No 603 Sqn, 29 August 1940, Battle of Britain

John Clifford Boulter claimed 5 aerial victories (plus another probable) and was awarded a DFC before being critically injured on 17 February 1941 when his Spitfire Mk.IIA (P7597) was struck by a Hurricane as he was about to take off.
    Last edited by fast.git; 02-09-2015 at 11:21. Reason: Emphasis Added

Nice pictures Chris. The style of illustration is easier for me to pick out the detail than some of the Osprey ones.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

As long as people keep appreciating them, I'll keep posting them!

Besides, it’s allowed me to become better versed in Second World War pilots, aircraft, and squadrons. Had it not been for this, I probably wouldn't have discovered that the Ju-88 a No. 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron Spitfire shot down on 16 October 1939 was the first enemy aircraft to be shot down over Great Britain since 1918, and the first confirmed RAF victory in the Second World War. After rotating south on 27 August 1940, 603 Squadron pilots played an important role in the Battle of Britain. According to recent academic research, including scrutiny of German records, 603 Squadron has been identified as the highest-scoring Battle of Britain Fighter Squadron.

Perhaps even more interesting, the squadron’s aircraft were embarked on the US aircraft carrier USS Wasp and flown off to Malta on 20 April 1942 to reinforce its beleaguered fighter defenses. After nearly four months defending Malta, the remaining pilots and aircraft were absorbed by 229 Squadron on 3 August 1942.

And I had no idea that the first confirmed British victory was by a Lt. B.S. McEwen and his air gunner Acting Petty Officer B. M. Seymour in their Blackburn Skua of No. 803 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, operating from the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal. They shot down a Dornier Do 18 flying boat on 29 September 1939.

I keep turning over stones and finding more items of interest...

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    As long as people keep appreciating them, I'll keep posting them!

And I had no idea that the first confirmed British victory was by a Lt. B.S. McEwen and his air gunner Acting Petty Officer B. M. Seymour in their Blackburn Skua of No. 803 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, operating from the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal. They shot down a Dornier Do 18 flying boat on 29 September 1939.

I keep turning over stones and finding more items of interest...
    A very strange world Chris. I had never heard that fact until yesterday evening. The Drome seemed to be down for a few minutes, and I decided to fill in researching the Corsairs which are used by the FAA. one of the first bits of information that I hit was this one. Now it comes up again less than a day later.
    Rob.

Great stuff, I have to keep stopping myself from just buying and painting Spitfires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    Great stuff, I have to keep stopping myself from just buying and painting Spitfires.
    Stopping yourself Nigel. Why on earth would you want to do that.
    Quick, let me buy you a medicinal g&T. It will help you to see the situation more clearly.
    Kyte.

I need to give it a break so that they have something to fight, although if I could find a 1/144 desert Spit then everything else would stop. I've even been toying with sculpting that radiator on with filler but that will be a last resort. Otherwise, TO THE BAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    I need to give it a break so that they have something to fight, although if I could find a 1/144 desert Spit then everything else would stop. I've even been toying with sculpting that radiator on with filler but that will be a last resort. Otherwise, TO THE BAR!
    That's more like it old chap.
    Music to my ears. Lead on.
    Kyte.

Those are very good pictures, Christopher. Did you draw them yourself?

Interesting facts and great profiles, thanks for posting them

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Those are very good pictures, Christopher. Did you draw them yourself?
    Sadly, no. I have not the talent. I found them buried in some stuff I got from my father. They seemed worth sharing!

Similar Missions

1. Color Plates: Boeing B-17
    By fast.git in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 08:17
  2. Color Plates: North American P-51D
    By fast.git in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2015, 19:15
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 06:57
  4. Replies: 9