Ares Games
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping playing counters and chits organized

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Superb, Matt!

Something tells me Pete's going to be chuffed to bits with that!
    That is a correct statement.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Since the Herr Oberst has put the newest Lend-Lease raffle up, it's safe to post this now...

This is the box I did to generate some raffle $$$ and commemorate shipping our first Lend-Lease attendee to Doncaster - Dallas's SE5a camo wing is on the left and a generic US SPAD XIII wing is on the right - both to scale. I really enjoyed painting the camo, and I like the SE5a, in particular. I went with the green logo for a change, to keep the palette consistent, and I like the color a lot - I imagine it will make its way onto other boxes in the future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	219468

Inside of the box is standard CDL, with the chits/counters sheet backed on dark green card stock. On the other items in the raffle, I kept the roundels the same size - seemed the right thing to do to maintain cohesion between the pieces.

As always, thanks for taking a gander!
    All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Wonderful work and contribution!
    Absolutely!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Perfect set for L&L May be it is the first one where are two roundels?

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Daniel, it is the first one I've done using two roundels. I used the same 'scale' roundels on the damage deck caddy, the rotary cockpit, and the Aerodrome propeller range rulers - I figured keeping everything the same 'size' on those items would help tie things together and show them as part of a 'set'.

All the best,
    Matt

Very nice work, Matt. I'm touched with the work you put into this.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

As I think I've said elsewhere, Karl, it's a great cause and you're worth it!

In all seriousness, though, it was a lot of fun to put together a 'themed' set of accessories for the WWI crowd - I love Keith's damage deck caddy and prop rulers, and I really love the rotary cockpit as a playing aid. I'm pleased with the way the 'whole package' turned out. Keith is such a great guy to work with on these kind of projects, and his desire to have everything connected with the Forum and his side of the 'business' be successful is an inspiration. And I think he loves the whole Lend-Lease aspect of things, too...

All the best,
    Matt

Bought my tickets and, as you said, it is for a good cause and a nice addition to anyone's accessories.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here is the newest iteration - on its way to Prague to Dan-Sam as a prize for PragueCon 2017. Daniel has a special Spitfire - Me 262 scenario going on at PragueCon, and he wanted a box to symbolize the event...

It was a lovely excuse to succumb to the Dark Side and make a WW2 box - I must say that I had a lot of fun doing this; I must do a box for myself now, and I think I need to find a book of drawings for WW2 planes like my book for virtually all WW1 planes (it's in 1/72 scale and is really easy to enlarge any plane to 'fit' a counters box...)

Here's the top - Spit 9 wing versus Me 262 wing - I have always liked the German brown-violet and green late-war scheme, and the Brit spinach and grey scheme is so classic...

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	220566

For the inside I went with industrial grey - seemed the right way to go for WW2 - with a light blue WW2 chits sheet on a dark green backing - again, I like the look a lot here and look forward to replicating it for myself...

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	220567

Kudos to Daniel for pushing me into the WW2 arena with this box - endless possibilities await!

As always, thanks for looking!
    All the best,
    Matt

You're an amazing factory, Matt

That and there must be more hours in a day in Ohio

Craftsmanship at its finest Matt.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

That really is a great box, Matt!

Yet another superb contribution from the artwork of Matt.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wow

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

It was only a matter of time! Having done a number of WWI boxes, and several WWII boxes, it was time to tackle a Sails box! Maverick (Simon) put in a request for one this summer when he was here for Origins, and I sent it to him a couple of weeks ago - he received it at the end of last week. He wanted two levels - the bottom would hold coasts and reefs, along with his smoke counters and wing gauges. The upper tray is divided into twelve sections to hold all of the associated counters for the game. Mav stores his ship consoles separately, but I think they would also fit on the bottom, depending on how many one has...

Simon wanted the Anchorage logo as the central image on the top of the box, and I altered it to make it Sails-specific rather than Anchorage-specific.
    Below you see a top view of the box...it is also personalized with his Anchorage 'handle'...

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	232566
    Here is the top and upper tray...

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	232567
    And here are those two along with the bottom.

Name:	IMG_0993.jpg 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	232568

All in all, it was a fun project - a bit larger and more involved than my 'standard' counters box, but enjoyable nonetheless!

All the best,
    Matt

Your handiwork never ceases to amaze me, Matt.

I finally got the one you made for me organized to hold the Nexus Wings of War counters so I could free up one of my others for my newly-punched-out WGS counters. Worked out perfectly.

Lovely work, Matt. Absolutely lovely.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Very, very nice Matt, I will be pm'ing you after Doncaster

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

As always, I appreciate your kind words, comrades. While I'm almost always very pleased with how these things turn out, it's lovely to have others enjoy them, too!

Glad yours is being put to good use, Pete!

Chris, I think Simon is bringing his to Doncaster, so you'll have a chance to check it out up close and 'personal' - he was very appreciative, such a lovely little man! Hope you all have a great time at Doncaster...

All the best,
    Matt

That is beautiful work, Matt!

Outstanding work. When are you going on public TV, THIS OLD BOX ?

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here's the WWII Battle of Britain box I did and sent to Skafloc (Neil) as a prize for Doncaster. Given their obvious theme this year, the top is decorated with a Hurricane wing and a Bf-109E wing - I absolutely love the colors of these camo schemes at this time of the war. The interior is the same grey as the one I sent to Daniel for PragueCon above in post 110 of this thread.

Name:	Screenshot 2017-09-18 at 7.55.37 PM.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	232867

Silly me - in my haste to get this in the mail and off to Neil, I forgot to take a picture! Thanks to Andrea for including it in his series of photos from Doncaster - hence the screenshot.

All the best,
    Matt

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Now that Chris (Hedeby) has posted info and pictures on the second Doncaster Raffle, it's safe to post these - I did up an RFC/RAF/RNAS box for the organizing committee to raffle to generate funds to help offset the costs of putting on the convention. It was kind of fun and challenging to paint the three badges instead of wings or camo or something similar. I made the 'Wings' logo a tad bit smaller so that I could make the RFC and RAF badges roughly life-sized. The RNAS eagle below the logo is probably a bit larger than real life, but I like the way it turned out and aesthetically it fits.

Name:	IMG_1042.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	237549

I went with a new color for the interior - the faded green fits nicely, I think, and I will have it as an option to use on other boxes in the future

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	237551

If you want to support the Doncaster Raffle(s), you can go to those threads under the Doncaster main thread and do so - certainly, it's a most worthy cause!

Thanks for letting me help out on this, Chris (and Neil and Simon)!

Always the best,
    Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1047.jpg  
    Last edited by matt56; 12-11-2017 at 05:56. Reason: I realized I attached the wrong interior picture and tried to delete it, but it appears in blue at the bottom...ah, well!

Just when you thought the reached their Zenith, they keep getting better! Great work!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here is the latest version of the counters box I cobbled together for Dan-Sam as a prize at PragueCon 2018. Their overriding theme this year is Manfred von Richthofen, so the box has his Eindecker on the right and his next-to-last Triplane on the left - I went with the Maltese crosses on the wings for symmetry's sake...

I like the simple colors of the grey and red. Daniel requested a Pour le Merite as well, as that is something so often associated with MvR. Rather than paint on on in 2D, I happened to have a resin PLM left over from the von Richthofen bust I painted a while ago (it was meant to be used on the base, but I decided not to do so...)

It seemed the perfect compliment to the overall scheme of things...

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	244713

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	244714

Name:	IMG_1214.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	244715

According to the US Postal Service, it has arrived in Prague and is just waiting for Dan-Sam to pick it up...

I hope all PragueConners have a great time, and may the best pilot garner the prize!

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 05-07-2018 at 02:49.

Matt your works just keep getting better and better! Excellent Job!

I am SO WINNING THAT!!!!!!

Bl00dy brilliant work, as always!

Another beauty Matt. Well done!

It was fun going through this post and seeing all the boxes you had produced over the years. They are all fantastic.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

'twill be one lucky bar steward as wins that one ...

Top Boxes Matt !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Very very very well done

Matt this a great inspirational thread, your boxes are very very nice and it was a pleasure to read through the whole thread and see the different ones you have created over the years.
    Well done

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	244713
    Do you have the same feeling like me: levitated chit box?

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Now that the Herr Oberst has posted the next Lend-Lease raffle, I can add this to this thread. This latest box is a centennial commemoration of sorts (1918-2018), so I thought it fitting to display aircraft wings from the two sides with most casualties. So the mauve and green Albatros wing is for the Central Powers, Germany having suffer the greatest number of killed, wounded, and missing; the SPAD XIII wing is for the French, who suffered the most for the Entente. Otherwise it's my pretty 'generic' box - interior in faded PC10/sage green, and I backed the chit diagram on black card stock in memorium. This is also the first time I have added the lines for the wing flaps, and I think it will be a regular feature from now on - I like the way they look...

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	248642

As always, thanks for taking a look!

All the best,
    Matt

PS - the additional accessories repeat the national insignia on opposite sides (the damage deck caddy and the rotary cockpit), but that was not to be on the prop rulers - the German insignia just didn't work on the thin props. So I went with the wing camo as something different - again, I'm pleased with the effects. I had toyed with putting the centennial dates on the pieces, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would goob things up...

Nice job matt - the flap detail looks really great.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

beautiful work as always matt!!!

Wonderful work as always. Matt, you know you're going to have to make one for every Aerodrome member?

More great work.
    Maybe I'll get lucky this time?

Even more beautiful work, Matt. Tremendous!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Now that he has it in hand, I can post the counters box made for Flash as this year's Lend Lease participant. This is something that the BGiF has presented to the LL member for the last three years as a token of their visit to Origins. Flash's box displays the yellow wing of his Sachsenberg avatar on one side along with the Sopwith Triphound wing from his signature banner. Inside it's CDL with the counters' backing in dark blue (to honor his long service as a police officer). He received the box at our LL Banquet on Thursday evening at the Columbus Hofbrauhaus, where we ate, drank, and engaged in general silliness.

Name:	IMG_1284 (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	249057

He has been a lovely LL participant, worthy of carrying on that august tradition!

All the best,
    Matt

Another Mattsterpiece.
    Thanks Matt.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have always lked the Sachsenburg livery and it was one of the first repaints, or redecalling , I did . The box looks great and a lovely keepsake for Dave.
    Nice one Matt

Thumbs up

Fantastic gift for our old mate flash!

I am sure Flash will treasure that memento.
    Great job, Matt.

Beautiful, you are very lucky Dave

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Damage chits and large playing groups?
    By Savoir Faire in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 06:27
  2. Climb Counters
    By Black Sheep One in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 07:41
  3. How many damage chits sets?
    By RichJ in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 10:11
  4. First organized dive bombing attack