Ares Games
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping playing counters and chits organized

She's beautiful, my Friend. What awesome gestures of friendship.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Fantastic quality work yet again, and what a grand gesture for your friend!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks, guys! Jim's a great guy - he is the ultimate scrounger in our merry little band - it's amazing the planes and gizmos to enhance the game he comes up with. He's a Black Belt in Ebay, and so we often 'compensate' one another in kind - when all else fails, one of us will by a round or three or four at the pub

All the best,
    Matt

Ultimate "repaint", Harry. I am still browsing the four images and do not know which one is the best. All of them are superb

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks, Daniel! I really have fun doing them. For me it adds another fun wrinkle to the game

All the best,
    Matt

I loved it. Can't wait to run a game and dole out markers from it.

Jim

Super fantastic boxes!, what great ideas! I have to say that I recommend going the cigar box route before spending at a craft store. Most cigar stores sell the boxes for about a dollar and some are absolutely beautiful. I've been doing this to make guitars with them, but you can make so much from a low priced nice wooden box.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Two for the road

Here are the two latest variations on the theme - I just stuck them in the USPS today to make their way to their new homes!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	174814

This one with the 5-color lozenge pattern is on its way to Christopher (fast.git). It's got a CDL-colored interior, with the cream counters 'legend" backed on dark red cardstock. I've enjoyed playing with the color of the Wings of War logo - I like this grey color a lot...

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	174815

This Dr. I winged version is heading to Colorado to the Aerodrome HQ - Keith expressed an interest in one similar to Neil's (Skafloc) at Origins this year...his has the light blue interior like Neil's, with the counter legend backed on dark green cardstock. I went with a bit of a medium blue as a tip of the hat to Keith's time in the USAF...

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	174816

I'm really having fun playing with variations on these little buggers - I have in mind to do up a 4-color lozenge variation next...

As always, thanks for looking!

All the best,
    Matt

Very professional looking once again Matt.
    I am toying with something like that for Sails.
    Do you take orders?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

As a former Army NCO, Rob, I not only TAKE orders, but I know how to FOLLOW them, too!

All the best,
    Matt

"Dear Mumy and Daddy,
    next time you will be making me, please do it in way that I will be as handy as Matt.
    Thank you and I love you.
    Your son."

That looks great Matt! Can't wait to see it in the flesh!

More spectacular boxes!

I'm so jealous!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the kind comments, guys!

Dan-Sam - you really DO have it in you to do something like this...
    Tim - there's no reason to be so envious - you could make something like this, too!
    It really is JUST tracing and painting...

Always the best,
    Matt

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default More counters boxes

It's time I posted some more pictures of these boxes - I've been having fun the first half of the year making several new ones for worthy folks... I need to be retired already - school and teaching is cutting into my fun time!

This first box is one I did for Prague Con this past Spring - I had contacted Daniel (Dan-Sam) and he liked the idea of having one as a prize. He thought early-ish would be good, so I went with a French Nieuport wing and and Albatros DII wing.

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	200714

The second box is the one I did for Daniel himself - he received it after he ran his Friday morning game at Origins. I based the design on the planes he has on his signature block at the bottom of his postings to the Forum. I figured I wouldn't go far astray if I used those as the guide...

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	200715

This third box is for Tim (Flying Helmut) and is going in the mail Tuesday to wing its way to the UK - it has been in the works for a while - longer than I meant to take on it, for sure!! I had to mull over how best to tackle the design parameters Tim set, but I really like the top and bottom wings in lozenge pattern (Fokker DVII is what I was shooting for).

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	200716

All three have cream interiors, and the counters 'key' is my standard golden paper backed on various colors that match best.

I always have fun with these; it's about time I try making one for WGS, as my toes are starting to dip into that Dark Side a bit...I have a couple of ideas...

All the best,
    Matt

Another very neat set of boxes Matt.
    Rob.

Matt. those boxes look Fantastic!!!!

Especially the third one...............................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I still treasure mine from Origins last year Matt, thank you again.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Harry, I have mine on my desk and I'm looking on it every time when I'm there. Still not enough of it! Thank you very much for a beautiful gift!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Ultimate "repaint", Harry. I am still browsing the four images and do not know which one is the best. All of them are superb
    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Thanks, guys! Jim's a great guy - he is the ultimate scrounger in our merry little band - it's amazing the planes and gizmos to enhance the game he comes up with. He's a Black Belt in Ebay, and so we often 'compensate' one another in kind - when all else fails, one of us will by a round or three or four at the pub

All the best,
    Matt
    Harry, I have mine on my desk and I'm looking on it every time when I'm there. Still not enough of it! Thank you very much for a beautiful gift!
    Great paintwork there, Matt. .... or is it Harry ?

Great job, again, Matt
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Harry is my given name, Pete, but almost all of the folks who know me through gaming call me Matt - that's the nickname I've had since I was a little chap (since I'm the Third, it helped avoid confusion with my dad and grandfather...)

But I answer to either - Daniel was just at Origins and my name tag said "Harry" since it's the 'official' name associated with my registration and email account.

All the best,
    Matt

Matt--those boxes are absolutely fantastic!! You do terrific work. I am ashamed of my plastic storage boxes now! I bet you could sell those rather easily. Keep up the great work.

Matt's boxes are a beautiful sight. I got to see the one he was using at the games he ran at Origins. I did my best not to drool on it.

not sure how i missed this thread until now but excellent work matt! i was admiring your handiwork at origins!

Harry is my given name, Pete, but almost all of the folks who know me through gaming call me Matt - that's the nickname I've had since I was a little chap (since I'm the Third, it helped avoid confusion with my dad and grandfather...)

But I answer to either - Daniel was just at Origins and my name tag said "Harry" since it's the 'official' name associated with my registration and email account.

All the best,
    Matt
    Sometimes is difficult to don't do a mistake. And original first name should be a safe area. My scout nickname is Sam, but when I call me Daniel, you couldn't make a mistake. But noticed, Matt

LOOP

You are a wizard with that brush Matt
    Specialy like the one you did for Daniel

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the kind words, folks! I really DO enjoy making these. Comments at Origins were gratifying - it's a bit of 'bling' that adds to participants' enjoyment of the game - very gratifying from my perspective...

As always, I appreciate the feedback.

I'm happy to entertain specific interest and requests, should you find you 'need' one yourself...I'm sure we could work out some sort of deal.

All the best,
    Matt

The second box is the one I did for Daniel himself - he received it after he ran his Friday morning game at Origins. I based the design on the planes he has on his signature block at the bottom of his postings to the Forum. I figured I wouldn't go far astray if I used those as the guide...

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	200715
    May be it would be good to show you how cool look chits in Matt's boxes:

Name:	20160716_130157.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	202262

When I put them there I had to look into the box at least five minutes - beautiful!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Those look great in the box, Daniel! I'm glad you have a mix of new counters in with the old, so the legend sheet in the top isn't completely useless... And the top left corner for your pins and 'trophies' is a nice touch, too. Putting your range rulers in there is a good idea, as well.

So glad you like your box - it was my pleasure

Always the best,
    Matt

Honestly, the sheet is very importend, because I opened RAP for the first time today and I'm completely lost in it's tokens, especially in Ace Tokens

May be it would be good to show you how cool look chits in Matt's boxes:

Name:	20160716_130157.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	202262

When I put them there I had to look into the box at least five minutes - beautiful!
    Wow thats cool

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Looks great filled in, especially your trophy compartment.

That is a very important section! When you look closely, you will see a big coin under all others. You need bloody good wingmen to reach this trophy

Name:	20160716_213158.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	202282

So glad to have been there to witness your victory.

Indeed; I am quite pleased that Keith provides these "tokens" of victory
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Indeed; I am quite pleased that Keith provides these "tokens" of victory
    Karl
    as am i! thanks keith!!!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default And now for something not completely different...

My son and I started playing X-Wing in May when he came home from college for his Summer Break, and I pretty quickly realized I needed something to organize all of those counters...so after I returned from Origins, I put this version together.

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	207342

This box is a little deeper than my other boxes, since the game's counters are chunkier, and it's stained in a black stain. I then gave it two coats of clear finish, and then painted the star fields and logo. The stars were applied by 'spraying' paint from a toothbrush...and I'm pretty pleased with the effect.

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	207343

Here's the inside filled with the appropriate counters.

I had fun making this counters box - playing with the black stain was interesting, particularly trying not to overdo it so the grain would still show through a bit. I plan to try it again on another project.

Always the best,
    Matt

As Pete says, a really cracking job again Matt.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The latest variation of the counters box - depicting Brown's Camel and von Richthofen's Triplane. I had spoken to Neil (Skafloc) sometime in July to see if he would like a box to award/present at Doncaster this year, and he answered in the affirmative...

No shot of the interior, since it's the standard cream with the counters legend glued to the box lid. But I am pleased with the way the wings came out...that pesky Red Baron sure had a lot of red on his plane...

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	208297

It looks like Doncaster at the end of Day 1 has been a great success - at least judging from Andy's (Nightbomber) pictures - I can't wait to see more happy snappies of the events!

Thanks for looking, as always!
    All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    And on the other end of the scale:

Write name of chits on label; poke hole through bag with pin (to allow air to escape); then...

[sunglasses]

... o/~ PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES IN YOUR OLD CHIT BAG, AND SMILE, SMILE, SMILE.... o/~

B)
    Y'know, in the old west, people used to get shot for making puns like that

..that pesky Red Baron sure had a lot of red on his plane...
    Might be time to resume discussions on that other red one we talked about a while back...

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I sent you a PM a little while ago, Pete. Sounds like a good idea!

All the best,
    Matt

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Just received news that this latest box arrived at its new home out in Oregon - thanks for the challenge, Pete! It was fun to do (although it did take longer than I had planned...)

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	219080

The Albatros wing and fuselage are in scale with one another, and the scheme comes straight out of the Osprey Jasta 18 book - looking at Pete's avatar, you can tell why he was interested in this scheme...the interior is my standard CDL with the counters key sheet mounted on dark red backing.

As always, thanks for looking! I have a couple more in the pipeline and will post pics when they're home safe and sound.

All the best,
    Matt

Astounding job.
    I really appreciate you finding the time to do this for me.

I was thinking of posting a pic myself, but didn't want to see you inundated with requests.

Another great piece of work Matt. Soon you're going to have to open up a shop!

Superb, Matt!

Something tells me Pete's going to be chuffed to bits with that!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Damage chits and large playing groups?
    By Savoir Faire in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 06:27
  2. Climb Counters
    By Black Sheep One in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 07:41
  3. How many damage chits sets?
    By RichJ in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 10:11
  4. First organized dive bombing attack