Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED's--Flame, Smoke Markers--WIP

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    I was working on something similar at the end of last year, but I got distracted before I got to the photos.
    I was looking at using them to generate flak.
    You got distracted...and put the earrings on. Did you get much flak for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post

Lovely thought though that is, I'm using balloon illuminators, not earings.

Is that true Fox, or is it just another one of your red earrings.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Oh wow! These are bad posts to read first thing in the morning.

ttakata73

Wow! These are such a great idea; really takes the game to the next level.
    I shall try to make some soon.

I see this is now on the Ares Facebook pages.

Not a picture I want in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Not a picture I want in my mind!
    Nor I.
    Rob.

My blinky lights arrived yesterday - now to find time to try them out!

Here is my version of a flashing flame. (Tim, this is the one for you)
    Unfortunately the battery is showing. It is too large to hide for fighters. Are smaller batteries available with holders? I can hide them on balloons and Zeppelins. I'll try to hide them for bombers, I think that will be possible.

It takes a bit of soldering skills to put together but I think its worth it. I'll post photo 'How To' and what you need tonight. It has a switch so it can be turned off too save battery life.

Last edited by Teaticket; 02-05-2015 at 07:25.

Peter, that is most excellent!! The middle 'flickering' light really looks like flame licking on the side of the plane.

There are smaller batteries out there, but I'm not sure what kind of holders you can find to keep them in place? I'll be waiting to see your 'how to' because I think I can use it for the Sails of Glory ships (the base and ships can hide the batteries, etc.).

The LEDs are 1.8mm in various colors. They flicker randomly. I found them at a railroad hobby shop. I'll pass all the info I have tonight. (not here with me now)
    The battery holder I use has a switch, you can see the white button. I think you can get them separate too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The LEDs are 1.8mm in various colors. They flicker randomly. I found them at a railroad hobby shop. I'll pass all the info I have tonight. (not here with me now)
    The battery holder I use has a switch, you can see the white button. I think you can get them separate too.
    I've disassembled one of the flickering tea lights which I could probably rig up for use with the ships, but not the planes. I'll be attending a model railroad show in just over two weeks so I can check with some vendors there and our club experts on some options for LED lights.

Looking forward to information you can supply when you get the chance.

Ok, heres what I do. You need a soldering iron, solder, 1/16" shrink tube, heat gun, wire cutters & strippers and flashing 1.8mm LEDs. For the rest see here.

Space out the LEDs and cut wire length as needed. Leave enough stripped wire so you can twist together and solder. Cover the bare soldered ends with shrink tube and heat. I'll do a proper 'How To' when I get the time.

Battery holder with switch, LED and shring tube. I shorten the length between the switch and battery holder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	156839

Use excess cut black wire to secure the LEDs to the pipe cleaner. (this photo is from a balloon flame marker, wishbone shape, note the switch on the pipe cleaner.

Name:	F2.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	156840

Here is the marker, 3 LEDs with all soldering done.

Name:	F3.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	156841

Cotton has been white guled to the pipe cleaner. Don't put glue on the LEDs.

Name:	F4.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	156842

See above link for the step by step flame and smoke 'How To'.

The switch/battery holders and LEDs I got at Evan Designs.
    Above in the video the center LED is a $6 special flickering flame. The others are normal flashing 3 volt at $1.90 each.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-06-2015 at 09:15.

Very interesting set of instructions for all those projects Peter.
    It has given me quite a few things to consider.
    Rob.

Putting LEDs on flames for a scout are a pain. Not a lot of room to work with. The balloon/Zeppelin flames are much easier and you can hide the battery. AA airbursts are next up. I think they will work out fine.

Thanks for the 'how to'. Gives me something to think on and work with for both WoG and SoG.

The little Celebration Lights arrived today Jim.
    They are just what the Dr ordered. Not too strong and can be on constant or flashing.
    I now have one large thunder cloud complete with lightening flashes.
    Rob.

Very cool how long does it take you to hook on to the aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    They are just what the Dr ordered. Not too strong and can be on constant or flashing.
    Rob.
    Mine arrived today too. Playtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    Very cool how long does it take you to hook on to the aircraft?
    The one Peter sent me takes about three seconds.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    And mine!

The yellow ones (pack of ten) have a flash setting, as well as constant

Now to figure out how to switch on/off whilst wrapped in kapok (the lights, not me - silly!)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    And mine!

The yellow ones (pack of ten) have a flash setting, as well as constant

Now to figure out how to switch on/off whilst wrapped in kapok (the lights, not me - silly!)
    I trust we'll see some photos from one, or all? Have fun!!

Cheers!

My earrings arrived

I drilled a hole through a flight peg (had to drill about 1mm countersink hole to enable switching on). Glued the earring in and covered with a mix of cotton wool and fine streal wool. My only concern is that will be very flamible with a small electric current. All good so far though and very simple to make and easy to switch on and off.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    My earrings arrived

I drilled a hole through a flight peg (had to drill about 1mm countersink hole to enable switching on). Glued the earring in and covered with a mix of cotton wool and fine streal wool. My only concern is that will be very flamible with a small electric current. All good so far though and very simple to make and easy to switch on and off.

Ian
    Absolutely stellar!! Now more ideas are popping in mind!

Did you say flammable! Borax.
    Kyte.

Now that's flame-on!

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks, the cotton wool gives it a really a nice glow. I may try sealing the LED to stop the steal wool combusting from the electric current. I've tried to deliberately ignite strands but haven't managed it fortunately. I'll keep safety testing then glue the smoke in place when I'm happy it's just a flame marker!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Thanks, the cotton wool gives it a really a nice glow. I may try sealing the LED to stop the steal wool combusting from the electric current. I've tried to deliberately ignite strands but haven't managed it fortunately. I'll keep safety testing then glue the smoke in place when I'm happy it's just a flame marker!

Ian
    For the answer to removing flammability see my post 78 Ian. I have forgotten the exact mix of Borax to water, but if you ring your local fire prevention officer he will tell you. It is used to fireproof stage sets.
    Rob.

miniaturegamer7

Some really nice work from all got me inspired for WGS and some other games

Quote Originally Posted by miniaturegamer7 View Post
    Some really nice work from all got me inspired for WGS and some other games
    Greetings Brett. Welcome to the Aerodrome and thanks for checking out the LED crafty thread.

I love the earing through the flight stand. I did a quick search and a pair of the red or orange earing is only 99p. Bargain. I wonder if wire wool would be any good or if it would be too dense to allow any light through.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperbait View Post
    I love the earing through the flight stand. I did a quick search and a pair of the red or orange earing is only 99p. Bargain. I wonder if wire wool would be any good or if it would be too dense to allow any light through.
    I tried just wire wool and it blocks the light too much. I ended up with about 70% cotton wool and 30% wire wool for the best effect. I just clumped them together and kep pulling apart until they mixed.

Ian

I'd not thought of mixing the two at all. My son has a teddy bear that has been mortally wounded by our new dog so I'll gut him and see how we go. I think the earing idea will be fairly easy to attach and remove as needed. Just a bit of work on each of the stands will prepare them for flaming burning death....

Also, as the ww2 planes are much smaller I think these would be a better alternative.

Any guidance on colours, orange or red seem the natural choices.
    Last edited by sniperbait; 04-13-2015 at 08:27. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Majing Smoke and Flame Markers
    By Canuck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-12-2021, 09:23
  2. Some more smoke and flame markers
    By se5a in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 01:32
  3. Bomber Flame and Smoke Markers