Ares Games

Thread: Possible Alternative To Magnets?

Default Possible Alternative To Magnets?

I was digging through my (too huge) collection of model kits, and happened across some older Revel Minikits. The kits were small enough to have their own stands; it was how the kits mounted to the stands which piqued my interest.

At the end of the vertical part of the stand, there was a peg, facing "forward" (centerline of the knob along the X axis).

Attaching to this were a pair of small plastic pieces. Piece One had a loop on one end of a circular "plate", and a peg at 90 degrees to the loop on the other side. Piece Two was a plastic piece which looked a bit like an Egyptian ankh -- it had a circular loop on top, attached to a plate, with a pin coming out the end of the plate opposite the loop.

Piece One's loop attached to the knob on the stand; the pin went into the loop on Piece Two. Piece Two's pin went into a hole on the bottom of the mini. By this method, the mini could be made to simulate any combination of climb/dive and banking, without all this futzing around with magnets.

I got to wondering "How Hard Can It Be" to make some of these for _WoG_ minis; apart from the small size....

Any chance of a picture/drawing of said item please Chris.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Are you talking about the Microwings series?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Yes we need a picture Chris.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Reminds me of the "Matchbox" kits with the clear plastic ball-and-socket jointed base. Still got some unmade ones around here somewhere.

Similar Missions

1. Magnets and Ball Bearings
    By Nicodemus in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 13:37
  2. Rare Earth Magnets and Health Canada
    By CdnFlyer in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 11:27
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 15:35
  4. Alternative Rules