Ares Games

Thread: Mission 8--Battle of the Somme--52 Sqd.--Gain Aerial Superiority!

Post Mission 8--Battle of the Somme--52 Sqd.--Gain Aerial Superiority!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 RFC Tender.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	154957

Newly promoted & "gonged" Capt Boniface "Bon" King M.C. was a worried man as he stepped from the RFC tender that had returned him to 52 Sqd following the conference at GHQ.
    The Commanding General had made no bones about what he expected from the local squadrons in the lead up to the big push along the Somme front. "Nothing less that total Air Superiority gentleman! Maximum Effort! Every available plane in the air & no excuses about untrained pilots! Am I totally clear on that!"
    And that is what had "Bon" King worried. His best 2 pilots in C flight, John Large & "Mac" McCaverty were still recovering from wounds & the chap he had left in charge, 2nd Lt.Anthony "Quick" March, a young Kiwi had only recently transferred in from a BE2 squadron where he had impressed with his aggressive flying. Two new replacements would be waiting for his return but Lord knows how much training they would have had.
    He had asked two of the most experienced pilots from 52's other flights to undertake some training & familiarisation flights over their area. With Lt. Kyte still away in Blighty this task fell to Frank Palmer & Ron Curtis.

Entering the Flight Office he called to the Duty Sgt to call all Pilots to a Briefing outside the Office in 10 Minutes.
    As the pilots assembled & made themselves comfortable he first gave them the orders from GHQ & impressed on them the importance of their mission.

Name:	WW1 RFC Pilots briefing.jpg 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	154958

Next he addressed the two new chums. "All-right you new blokes! Tell me something about yourselves & what experience you have."
    Pointing to a tall, thin & very blond chap he said "You First"
    2nd Lt Algernon Smyth-Browne replied giving his rank & name in a very proper Private School accent. "8 hours Sir on 504's but I took my pilots certificate at Brooklands whilst in my final year at Oxford. Pater was most interested in flying & funded my training".
    Bon now looked at the other pilot a short & stocky dark haired specimen. "2nd Lt. Mick O'Leary from County Clair Ireland Soir!" Spoken in a thick Irish brogue."Me initial trainings on Fairmans Soir then 7 hours on Avro's & a couple on BE's"

Lord! thought Bon! What do they think we can achieve with rookies like this? At least Smyth-Browne might have a chance.

"Allright lads! Now listen real closely!" I will take Lt O'Leary as my wingman in our 2 DH-2 pushers & Ltn March will take you Algy in our new Newport 17's. "I want to give a special warning. Don't get complacent because we have some new aircraft & should have numerical superiority because the jolly old Hun in this sector are real veterans! Shouldn't be surprised if we run into the famous Max Immleman or even Oswald Blocke & you know their reputations!"
    Now check out your aircraft with your ground crew & get a good nights sleep. We take off at 0800 tomorrow morning!"

Early next day the quartet took to the sky & flew in line abreast towards the Front Lines.

Name:	Battle of the Somme 001.JPG 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	154959

In the distance they saw a lone Fokker E.III in clear doped linen finish. Something about the way the pilot flew caused Bon to think. "No it couldnt be Immleman could it?"

Soon the 5 planes closed to within shooting range & the sky was soon filled with manoeuvring aircraft.
    As they passed & exchanged shots Bon was now certain it WAS Immleman.

Name:	Battle of the Somme 002.JPG 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	154960

"Quick" March lived up to his name & exchanged close range shots with the Eindekker. Algy unfortunately could not shoot due to being "masked" by his fellow N17 pilot. Bon was suprised as he saw Immleman flinch & wondered if he had indeed been hit.

The Aircraft passed each other & for a few moments the sky was relatively clear as the 2 British pushers manoeuvred to try to gain the advantage.

Name:	Battle of the Somme 004.JPG 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	154961

Algy tried a long shot at the Fokker but his inexperience resulted in a miss made more frustrating by a gun jamb!

Bon had now manoeuvred into a perfect position for a close range salvo at the Eindekker & he saw his bullets hit & smoke immediately issued from the German aircraft.

( NOTE: Forgot to add the Smoke marker until later!)

Name:	Battle of the Somme 005.JPG 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	154965

Mick O'Leary faithfully following his leader also fired at the Fokker but again inexperience saw him miss his target!

Name:	Battle of the Somme 006.JPG 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	154966

Immleman pulled one of his famous manoeuvres but perhaps because of his wound also missed the British aircraft.

Name:	Battle of the Somme 007.JPG 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	154967

Max tried to follow the nimble De Haviland but was just out of range.

Name:	Battle of the Somme 008.JPG 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	154968

All five aircraft now circled looking for an advantage.

Name:	Battle of the Somme 009.JPG 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	154969

Mick O'Leary turning inside his flight leader found himself in a great position to attack the German machine & whilst his first hasty burst missed he steadied himself & caused major damage with his next shots!

Name:	Battle of the Somme 010.JPG 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	154970

Immlemans aircraft was now showing some serious damage & the German ace looked to disengage from the unequal fight & try to reach his own lines & Safety.
    However it was not to be as Lt Anthony "Quick" March closed in on the Fokker & his shots caused the German Aircraft to slowly spin into the ground for a rough crash landing in No Man's Land.

One can only assume the Germans would send out a patrol that evening to bring the lightly wounded Ace to safety!

Name:	Battle of the Somme 011.JPG 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	154971

The jubilant Allied Pilots continued their Patrol & then returned to the Squadrons aerodrome to celebrate & re tell their story of their encounter with the famous German Ace Max Immleman once Capt. King acquainted them of the fact.

A congratulatory Telegram from GHQ caused more partying the following night.

The Butchers Bill

Max Immleman:
    Shot down, NML, Wounded

Name:	Battle of the Somme 012.JPG 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	154972

Capt "Bon" King:
    RTB
    Nil Damage.

Name:	Battle of the Somme 013.JPG 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	154973
    2nd Lt.Mick O'Leary.
    RTB
    Nil Damage

Name:	Battle of the Somme 015.JPG 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	154975

2nd Lt. Anthony "Quick" March:
    RTB
    1 Kill--- Max Immleman
    3 damage pts.

Name:	Battle of the Somme 014.JPG 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	154974

2nd Lt, Algy Smyth-Browne:
    RTB
    Nil Damage

Name:	Battle of the Somme 016.JPG 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	154976

OVERVIEW

+ 25 points to the Bulldogs.

Well that was the most one sided game I have ever played!
    I though Max might have had a chance with his deadly aim skill & the Aerobatic skill but he was so outnumbered they really never got to count for much.
    At least he did not shoot his own propeller off!

I used one of the new Ares B decks for Max with the special C explosion card & some of the old nexus decks for the British so the damage would stand out & the decks not get mixed.

I think Max needs some additional help on this one. Perhaps a second Eindekker with no additional benefit to the Brits & perhaps give him the Lucky Pilot skill as well?

Anyway a fun game & a great way to introduce some new rookie pilots to my roster.

Go the BULLDOGS!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 01-16-2015 at 02:54.

Well played Barry. On your advice I've beefed up the opposition in this one. So everyone who is still to play this add a second German Eindecker as per the changes to the scenario.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great AAR Baz - and well done the Bulldogs in downing Max

However, I imagine we haven't seen the last of this menace - and next time he'll probably have a wing-man

Very effective sortie Baz. It's about time we got the upper hand over those Deckers.
    Well done to young Anthony March. I'm sure we will hear a lot more of that young Tiger should he live.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Solid showing, Barry... Taking down The Eagle of Lille is no mean feat! I fear, however, that we've not seen the last of the German ace... and he may have been taking numbers today. Watch your 6!

Well done Baz, you managed to down the slippery devil which is more than my chaps could do !

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well done Baz, you managed to down the slippery devil which is more than my chaps could do !
    Thanks Dave!
    I was surprised how effective my AI aircraft were. The 2 N 17's kept right on Mr Immlemans trail if not always on his tail.

Nice flying and shooting Baz. Got the Hun with minimal damage to your boys. Didn't we start off with a scenario called 'Fish in a Barrel'?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Nice flying and shooting Baz. Got the Hun with minimal damage to your boys. Didn't we start off with a scenario called 'Fish in a Barrel'?
    We did indeed & now we have Fokkers in a Fish Tank!

Question Thats weird!

For some strange reason my AAR for the Battle of the Somme---Scenario One had disappeared from the list of AAR's????
    I could only find it via flash's listing in the sticky.

It was probably on page 2 Baz as there have been a load of posts on mission 5 & 6 threads recently that put them above it.

Smile

No flash! I had checked out P2 & 3 as I thought the same thing but nary a sign of it.
    I had to click on the AAR in your sticky to be able to comment.

Not to worry its back now.

Cant wait to see the next few AAR's for the Somme.
    The suspense is killing me.

Must've ducked into some clouds then !

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

Cant wait to see the next few AAR's for the Somme.
    The suspense is killing me.
    Flew mine on Saturday. Should be posted by Friday.
    Rob.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Flew mine on Saturday. Should be posted by Friday.
    Rob.
    Looking forward to that Rob!
    Did you fly Mission 3?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Looking forward to that Rob!
    Did you fly Mission 3?
    No Baz. I was asked to do mission 2.
    Rob.

Streuth Baz You have a hero in your ranks Well written and even better played. Were you flying using Joaquims new system ?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Streuth Baz You have a hero in your ranks Well written and even better played. Were you flying using Joaquims new system ?
    No Paul his first edition charts.
    Waiting to get all the card downloads & sleeve them & will give them a whirl.

That is a really tough one to win, well done for trying

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT Early Doors Mission 8: The Battle of the Somme
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 09-14-2015, 05:25
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 09:19
  3. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 8: The Battle of the Somme - 19th August 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 09:13