Category:
    History
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30
    by Bruno Schmäling & Winfried Bock

From the Publisher:

During The Great War men first fought one another in the sky, creating a new kind of warrior, the fighter pilot. Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30 is the human story of some of the first of those young warriors on the German side. German authors Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock and Aeronaut Books are proud to bring you a detailed, graphically lavish account of these airmen, with 158 photos and color profiles of 56 aircraft in the book’s 208 pages. The color profiles and the three paintings were especially commissioned for this work and many of the photos are published here for the first time. Historians, enthusiasts, and modelers will all find this volume of great interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Details
    Hardcover: 208 pages
    Publisher: Aeronaut Books; 1ST edition (2014)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1935881256
    ISBN-13: 978-1935881254
    Product Dimensions: 12.5 x 10 x 1.5 inches
    Shipping Weight: 2.9 pounds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been a fan of the Osprey Publishing “Aviation Elite Units” series of books (JG 1 & 2, Nos. 56 & 60 Squadrons, etc.) for years. Well-researched, easily accessible, and full of contemporary photographs, the quality of these books no doubt drew me to Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30… but they failed to prepare me for the depth of coverage and sheer beauty of this title.

Laced with more than 200 photos and aircraft profiles, this monograph tracks chronologically the establishment, deployment, and Great War career of Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30 (a Jasta with which I had only a passing familiarity). Investigating the unit’s history, personnel, and aircraft, Schmäling & Bock’s research brings together well-written prose, previously unknown photographs, full color paintings and aircraft profiles, maps, additional documents, and extensive endnotes.

Hardbound and weighing in at a hefty 3 pounds, this beautiful book would be a fine addition to any library. I look forward to the forthcoming titles implied in the authors’ forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30 - Schmaling & Bock_resized.jpg  

This title may be located at the following locations:

Aeronaut Books [US]: http://www.aeronautbooks.com/product/978-1-935881-25-4
    Amazon [US] (fulfilled by Aeronaut Books): http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Prussian...jagdstaffel+30

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This is on my "to-get" list, Christopher - thanks for confirming what I thought would be the case with this tome. I'm really looking forward to picking it up in the next month or so.

All the best,
    Matt

Ordered this and the jasta 23 book directly from Aeronaut books yesterday and both are in the post today. Pricey? Perhaps, but one advantage of ordering both books was that postage (price = one book) was pretty much the same as ordering just one book. So something to consider if your wallet can afford both.

FYI - for fellow Canadians, the Amazon.com sellers do not ship to Canada while the Amazon.ca sellers want $250+/- for tbe Jasta 30 book. No idea for jasta 23 as that one is nearly double the price ($70 vs $40).

In any event I feel a couple of jasta painting sprees (fever?) coming on.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 05:24
  2. WGFA: Richthofen Jagdstaffel Ahead (GS)
    By seagull in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 12:20
  3. WGFU: 60 Sqn RFC/RAF (Osprey)
    By gully_raker in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 21:19
  4. WGFU: Jagdstaffel 2 'Boelcke' (Osprey)
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 03:44
  5. WGFM: Jagdstaffel 5 [2 vols] (Albatros)
    By Boney10 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 04:31