Ares Games

Thread: South Dakota: Reporting for Duty, Sioux Falls.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Default South Dakota: Reporting for Duty, Sioux Falls.

I know South Dakota isn't usually that well represented with miniature gaming, but we're not even in the Prefix drop-down!

I picked up a copy of Dawn of War a few (4?) years back and forgot about it on my gaming bookshelf until this weekend.
    I come from primarily a board game, RPG and Magic: The Gathering background, but am hoping to move more into miniatures with this and Memoir '44.

Does anyone know if they've released ( or plan to ) a F4F Wildcat piloted by Joe Foss? He's pretty much our home-town hero.

Welcome aboard John. No Foss relaeses that I'm aware of but I'm solely a WW1 player.

Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod. I think the F4F Wilcat releases have been Galer, McWorther and Black in a F4 F-3 Martlet.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, John.
    I have been to South Dakota for the Sturgis motorcycle rally, had a great time.

John,
    Welcome to the 'drome.

I lived in Winnipeg a few years ago, and did a flash tour through the Northwestern states. There is some awesome scenery in South Dakota. We even made a stop at Wall Drug, on our way to the Badlands and the Black Hills.

Never made it to Sioux Falls, though. Now, I'm way too far away, on Vancouver Island. But, that doesn't mean we can't get a game or two together. If you're short of opponents, let me know. Or if you need a custom card for your home-town hero.

Name:  WGS_F4U_Card_VMF115Foss.png
Views: 130
Size:  132.9 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-05-2015 at 07:43.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

welcome to the drome john!!!!! no joe foss unfortunately. ive wondered myself why they didnt chose joe foss as one of the pilots considering how iconic he is.

On behalf of the Squadrons based here in Dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome John.
    We are a bit too far away for a game, but not too far to share a virtual beer in the Officers' Mess.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

G'day John! Welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    I play both WW1 & WW2 Pacific Area games.
    You may find it hard to still get Wildcat models but AIM (Aircrafts in Miniature) in the US make a nice range of resin WW2 models in the right 1/200 scale if you are into painting them yourself. They also have the decals to suit.
    Do check out the After Action Reports down in the WW2 section for some idea of the scenarios we play.

Cheers Baz.

Hi John! Welcome to the 'Drome from CT... and I'd agree with a Foss Wildcat reprint!

Welcome, John.

I'm just getting into Memoir 44; it looks like a pretty fun game, and the component quality is quite nice.

Here is the link to Armaments in Miniature, if you desire resin planes to custom paint: http://www.armamentsinminiature.com
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    John,
    Welcome to the 'drome.

I lived in Winnipeg a few years ago, and did a flash tour through the Northwestern states. There is some awesome scenery in South Dakota. We even made a stop at Wall Drug, on our way to the Badlands and the Black Hills.

Never made it to Sioux Falls, though. Now, I'm way too far away, on Vancouver Island. But, that doesn't mean we can't get a game or two together. If you're short of opponents, let me know. Or if you need a custom card for your home-town hero.

Name:  WGS_F4U_Card_VMF115Foss.png
Views: 130
Size:  132.9 KB
    Thank you for the card!

All of you that have experienced the west-side of the state (Sturgis, Black Hills, Wall Drug, etc) are definitely seeing the prettier side of our state. The east side is pretty much flat plains and farmland from the Missouri river all the way over the the actual lakes and scenery of Minnesota.

Welcome to the Drome John, from Middlesex in the U.K.

Hi John - welcome to the 'drome from here in the UK

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

There are a ton of wonderful resources on the forum, John - I'm sure you'll have fun discovering them. Welcome aboard!

All the best,
    Matt

welcome to the drome! Happy hunting and watch your 6

Welcome to the Drome John!

If you ever want a custom paint job of an official miniature re-paint or a reasonable facsimile from a company like Merit, or better still AIM, I would be happy to paint Foss' for you. Just drop me a PM.

Example of a Merit plastic model in 1/200, converted and re-painted by me, FatalFlawName:  Image085.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  90.6 KB

Cheers,

FF

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-03-2020, 23:26
  2. B-24 is hit and falls down
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 01:31