Ares Games

Thread: WGFB: Blue Max Airmen, The: German Airmen Awarded the Pour le Mérite Vol.1 (Aeronaut)

Default WGFB: Blue Max Airmen, The: German Airmen Awarded the Pour le Mérite Vol.1 (Aeronaut)

Book Title:
    The Blue Max Airmen: German Airmen Awarded the Pour le Mérite, Vol.1
    Author:
    Lance J. Bronnenkant, PhD
    ISBN:
    ISBN-13: 978-1935881056
    Category:
    Biography
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    From the publisher:

The Blue Max Airmen: German Airmen Awarded the Pour le Mérite, Vol.1 (The Blue Max Airmen) Paperback – 2012
    by PhD. Lance J. Bronnenkant (Author), Jim Miller (Illustrator)

The Blue Max Airmen series is the real story of the German airmen awarded the Pour le Mérite during the Great War. Author Lance J. Bronnenkant, PhD, and Aeronaut Books are pleased to bring you the most detailed and graphically lavish account of these heroes ever produced, covering the men in context with the war's chronology of events. For each recipient a comprehensive, well-illustrated biography of the man is given, together with photos of the aircraft he flew, followed by details of his service, including other medals awarded. Color profiles of the aircraft are provided both for the interest of enthusiasts and as references for modelers.

Volume 1 covers Oswald Boelcke and Max Immelmann, the first two aviation recipients of the Pour le Mérite and among the best known and most significant. Volume 1 includes 155 period photographs and 7 color profiles of aircraft flown by Boelcke and Immelmann.

• Paperback: 112 pages
    • Publisher: Aeronaut Books; 1ST edition (2012)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 1935881051
    • ISBN-13: 978-1935881056
    • Product Dimensions: 11 x 8.5 x 0.3 inches
    • Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5+ pages on the Pour le Mérite, 50+ pages on Boelcke, 40+ pages on Immelmann

I'm extremely impressed by the first in this series.

Although I'd love more than the 7 color plates of aircraft flown by the two pilots (Fokker E.I-E.IV, Fokker D.III, and Albatros D.II), many of the 150+ b/w pics are new to me, and some of them are fantastically crisp. Each section begins with a short biographical sketch covering "The Man" (childhood through early military career), then jumps into his career as a pilot. A description of the aircraft each flew, a timeline of each pilot's military career, and their aerial victories are described in varying levels of detail.

A well-researched, informative, and enjoyable read, it's the wealth of photos that most impresses me.

I will be picking up additional titles in this series.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Max Airmen 1_resized.jpg  

Looks like a fascinating read to me. it will go onto my wish list for sure.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I saw these on amazon, but didn't pay much attention to them. I didn't realize they are more in-depth analyses on a few pilots per volume; I assumed they were more encyclopedic in nature. Thanks for putting these back on the radar.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 12:03
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 11:41
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 11:29
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2015, 09:06
  5. WGFB: Victoria Cross: WWI Airmen & Their Aircraft (FMP)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 11:54