Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Second Epiphany - The Universal Diceless Solo Deck

Sod it, I went ahead and printed the V2.1 version and they look fantastic!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2020.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	154977

Also I had a mess around with the settings and with A4 you will need to setup your print settings to the following and the cards will print perfectly to A4;

• Actual size
    • Auto Portrait Landscape

Name:	print.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	154978

• A4 setting
    • Zoom setting normal

Name:	print set.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	154979

CAUTION

You may find that the front page settings do not come in to effect when you set the paper setting to A4 in the sub menu, so I suggest clicking the radio button for "Auto Portrait Landscape" off and on again. You'll see the red lines for the margins in the graphics box change.
    Last edited by FarEast; 01-13-2015 at 23:33.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Mike!
    They're beautiful!
    Yeas they are!!

I have a tiny question...
    Green deck. card 6. There is an Immelmann-turn but no alternative for G*,H and K? (there is in card 7)
    Is it done on purpose or is it something for the second edition?

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Yeas they are!!

I have a tiny question...
    Green deck. card 6. There is an Immelmann-turn but no alternative for G*,H and K? (there is in card 7)
    Is it done on purpose or is it something for the second edition?
    Per,
    That is an error of some kind, and probably mine. The draft cards from Joaquin had three straights. I'm not sure why that wasn't picked up on the proof post, but the "PNG" quality may have mislead Joaquim. Three straights make card 3-1 and 3-6 the same, and no need for an alternate set of maneuvers.

So, now up to Joaquin to take the jeweler's loop to the sets.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

LOOP

Well I was just curious as Joaquim has done some deliberate rulebending to make the AI-planes more tricky
    I like that thought. It will make them a bit more unpredicable.
    So 3 straight on green 6.

They came out perfect guys thanks you (a manual correction on Green 6)

Name:	DSC_2021.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	155155

I am sorry. I wasn't able to give a look yesterday. Today, as soon as I leave work, I'll do it. The 3-6 maneuver is indeed straight-straight-straight just for surprise and diversity of movement.

LOOP

I am sorry. I wasn't able to give a look yesterday. Today, as soon as I leave work, I'll do it. The 3-6 maneuver is indeed straight-straight-straight just for surprise and diversity of movement.
    This is a first class work anyway

All,
    Any need for an additional Blue reference card, to explain what the "*" and "+" mean?
    Mike

Would not be a bad idea Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Ditto

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

From Maneuver Deck Question
    Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    In two parts, actually:
    Part 1: How does the E+ deck differ from the E deck? I've been searching in the Files section for the deck listings, can't find it (might be there, and I just missed it), the Rules section, the House Rules section, still can't find it.

Part 2: I did find some references to it in the solo maneuver decks/charts, in regards to the Nieuport 11/Eindekker; but would any other aircraft use the E+ deck, either officially or unofficially as a house rule?
    From this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    All,
    Any need for an additional Blue reference card, to explain what the "*" and "+" mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Ditto
    So, what would that card look like? What are the differences, and where can I find that info? Cause, like zenlizard, I can't find it in a logical place, either.
    Mike

Wrt the * and + decks:
    The asterisk indicates an attenuated deck: the WoG Maneuver Deck breakdown file (yes, the downloadable one from the files) specifically lists A* deck as: * One sideslip each side removed from A deck; G* deck as: G Deck with Immelmann Removed; and J* deck as: One sideslip each side removed from J deck. Now V Deck.

Both logic and a hint from elsewhere on the forums would indicate that E+ would be enhanced from the E deck. However, the Maneuver Deck breakdown file does not list an E+ deck, nor list any aircraft which would use it.

Finally, the reply from the thread I started about the E+ deck states specifically:
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    the E+ deck differs from the E deck by having additional 90 deg turns, one each way. It is totally unofficial and was created specifically for the Nieuport 11 by Joaquim for the reasons Peter stated above. As he was creating a series of solo charts he created one for this 'deck' also.
    So, hope this helps others, as well.

I'm sure that it will Sam.
    That has sifted out the relevant information from amongst the many posts.
    Just what I was hoping Mike could include on the cards.
    Thanks for that input.
    Rob.

With a bit of digging, I found the above files on my hard drive.

There is an issue with the E+ deck, though. Where do you get 90 degree 2.9cm turns? I can't find a deck that I would use to add that to the slow E deck.

Tell me I will have to make them, why don't you.
    Mike

. Where do you get 90 degree 2.9cm turns? I can't find a deck that I would use to add that to the slow E deck.

Tell me I will have to make them, why don't you.

Well, D deck is close: if you have mad image manipulation software skillz, it's not too difficult. What you'll need is scanned images of both the back of the E deck, in full size: a scanned image of any maneuver card for background: and a scanned image of the D deck right 90 degree turn (again, it's pretty arbitrary, but D speed is the closest I have to E speed). Two copies each of the first two images, only one of the third-you'll get two copies for use later.

So, take the image of the D deck, and adjust (shrink) the image size so that the total distance of the arrow is the E deck 2.9cm. Save two copies. With copy 1, simply pop that on as a layer over one of your full-sized background cards. Depending on which software package you use, you'll have to adjust the transparency of either layer 1 (background) or layer 2 (maneuver arrow) to ensure the maneuver arrow is in fact, visible over the background. "Flatten" and save the image. Take copy 2 of your maneuver arrow, flip it 180 degrees in the horizontal axis. Pop that as a layer over the other background card, similar to the right turn card you just made. Again, adjust the transparency of one of the layers, flatten and save the image. Print out both cards, and your two images of the card backs themselves onto cardstock. Glue the back and faces of the cards together, and carefully trim so that you have two maneuver cards. Another tip: getting these together is like cementing bathroom tile into place: you really want 90 to 95% of the gluing surface to be covered with a light layer of glue, otherwise things tend to come apart when you don't want them to. If you want a fancier finish, coat the cards with a light layer of polyurethane spray, or modeler's matte finish spray, or somesuch.

Oh, also if you use plastic card sleeves, those tend to not only protect your cards, they also tend to eliminate small errors in trimming (and thus making your cards slightly different in size from the commercial cards).

Sam,
    It isn't like I have made a card or two. I might be modifying one of these: Maneuver Deck XDs

The XDs was for the Caproni Ca.1, a very, very slow bomber.
    Mike

Version Two (Draft) of Rules card (s):

Name:	UniversalSoloRules3.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	155567

The first card has rule 4 amended trying to explain the exceptions for AI maneuvers. The second card is new, explaining the modified decks and Altitude rules suggestions. The "E+" deck should indicate where these 90 degree turns come from (one of the reasons modified decks remove cards, rather than add them).

Perhaps from our "Files" section?

Name:	Maneuver EPls1-2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	155590

Name:	Maneuver EPls2-2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	155591

[Edit: This is the second version, as the first had minor changes. EG: adding numbers to the steps was a small change, and no real content amended. The new version rewrote a rule, and added an entire card. That is a version change!)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-27-2015 at 07:48.
    Mike

You are turning into a real Ace at this stuff Mike.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    ...However, the Maneuver Deck breakdown file does not list an E+ deck, nor list any aircraft which would use it....
    That's because it is a deck created by an individual and not the unofficial stats committee, or, the games creator, who currently show the N.11 as E deck.
    If it changes then so will the above document.
    The + in the E+ was used so it would not be confused with adapted decks of the unofficial stats committee which are marked with the *.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Mike, your two 90ş cards are much better than mine. You're becoming the true maestro. Thanks!

The German fighters that faced the Nieuport 11 said that the french scout was able to make very tight turns, left and right that they couldn't match. So having a deck almost similar in maneuvers to the Eindecker and Albatros D.II and D.III wasn't the answer for me, so I've made and added two 90ş turns and upgraded the E deck to E+.
    This was a private and personal decision. Nobody has to use it.

I added to the Universal solo deck because I believe that more is almost always better than less.

I believe that more is almost always better than less.
    Exception: Damage cards!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Exception: Damage cards!
    Let me re-phrase you: "Exceptions: Damage cards in my plane! More damage cards than less damage cards in enemy planes is ok!"

...I added to the Universal solo deck because I believe that more is almost always better than less.
    And because you have a need to use it !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    And because you have a need to use it !
    And aren't the "Maslow needs" that makes the world go round?

And aren't the "Maslow needs" that makes the world go round?
    Love makes the world go round Quim... it also makes it go up and down a bit !

OK, so post the Version Three Rules card, as is?

And perhaps a PDF of the E+ deck to go with it, or as part of it?
    Mike

LOOP

Finaly!

I have made my first testflights with the decks. They are just amazing. For me that plays 95% of my dogfights alone this is just what I needed!!
    Fast to use and the card listed is cleverly chosen. And I really like the fact that the AI-ac bends the rules a bit. It really made things more even.
    Love them!!

OK, so post the Version Three Rules card, as is?

And perhaps a PDF of the E+ deck to go with it, or as part of it?
    Please. That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Finaly!

I have made my first testflights with the decks. They are just amazing. For me that plays 95% of my dogfights alone this is just what I needed!!
    Fast to use and the card listed is cleverly chosen. And I really like the fact that the AI-ac bends the rules a bit. It really made things more even.
    Love them!!

Thank you, my friend. I couldn't do it without Mike and all of you.

Gave the decks a try last night-the AI works well for the most part. Like Per-Gunnar, I appreciate the fact that the rules are slightly modified in favor of the AI player(s), it does make things a bit more even. Nice work, peeps.

Is there a download link for the 'new' 2 blue rules cards and, try as I might, I can't find those E+ turn cards. Just saving the image comes down at very low quality?
    Last edited by Dowters; 01-27-2015 at 04:44.

Joaquim and Mike you are both awesome, what a team. Joaquim your ideas are off the chart and Mike your so talented, thank you both for your hard work. No wonder this is the best site I've ever had the honour to belong to.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    Joaquim and Mike you are both awesome, what a team. Joaquim your ideas are off the chart and Mike your so talented, thank you both for your hard work. No wonder this is the best site I've ever had the honour to belong to.
    +1

The new Rules cards are in the files section.

I renumbered the version, as this is only the second substantial change to the cards, and the first was a draft, with only the numbers added to the body. So, don't be surprised by the "Version 2.0".
    Mike

I just gave these cards their first run out. Just two planes, a Camel and an DR1, nothing exciting, and a head on encounter. I resolved to play strictly by the cards. Well, ended up with the best duel ive been involved in in ages, even against a human opponent! The ending was better than a Hollywood movie. The DR1had me in his sights and about to administer the coup de grace and he removed his last flames marker and the damage sent him tumbling from the sky. To say that this is fantastic is an understatement. You chaps are the best, most inventive, group a bloke could have the presure of tagging along with. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, my friends. I'm humbled by your compliments.

A huge thanks to Joaquim and Mike for putting this option together. I've finally gotten around to doing a full print and preparing the decks, but am curious if any of the pilots out there have a preference for either of the options related to altitude rules?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. Epiphany!!!
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 08-20-2017, 10:03
  2. Damage Deck Caddy and Solo Play Template
    By Roger Wilco in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 06:05
  3. Height Control -- Should it be a universal skill?
    By Eris Lobo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 14:41
  4. Solo Maneuver Chart U Deck?
    By Brambo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 03:49
  5. How to make an universal bomber base
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 03:03